Guns being seized in NOLA during traffic stops now by cops flagrantly violating law.

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Apparently the New Orleans PD doesn't have enough guns, so they're stealing them from everyone they stop for a traffic ticket. [rolleyes]

You don’t lose gun rights in traffic stop
By Gordon Hutchinson January 29, 2008

“Do I look like a thug?”

The gentleman who asked this question was dressed casually and stylishly. He looked like a middle-class male, about 40 years of age. No obvious tattoos, he had short-cropped hair. Tall, average weight, well-spoken, to my eyes he looked like anything but a street criminal, and I said so.

“I travel to New Orleans most days of the week on business,” he said. “There is a certain corner I take every day. I know the intersection is ‘No Left Turn’ from 7 to 9 a.m. each weekday. I know this. I turned left one morning at a quarter to nine, and was instantly pulled over by a marked NOPD unit.

“The female officer got out and walked up to my car, and I told her, ‘I’m sorry. I know better. I simply wasn’t paying attention when I made that left turn.’

“When she asked for my driver’s license, insurance and registration, I told her there was a gun in the glove box, just to warn her. She walked around to the other side of the car, opened the door, opened the glove box and took the gun out. It was a little .25 automatic. It wasn’t even loaded.

“She proceeded to write me the ticket. When she gave me the ticket, she made some sort of quick spiel about where I could come to get the gun back if I brought a receipt for it. I didn’t follow what she was telling me, but she kept the gun.

“When I asked her if she was going to give me a receipt, she told me: ‘The way I look at it, I didn’t know you had it, and you don’t know I’ve got it.’ She left with the gun.”

To condense the rest of the story from the gentleman’s tale, he called a friend in the department who spoke an expletive, and asked for the ticket number on the traffic citation that had been issued.

The gentleman was told his friend ran into the officer about a week later, and recognized her by the name tag on her uniform. When he asked about the .25 automatic, she responded she still had it — she was unfamiliar with the procedures for turning in a seized firearm.

The gentleman informed me he got his gun back. He never found out if any punishment or reprimand was issued to the officer that illegally seized his gun. He never pursued the issue any further — unfortunately. This incident occurred more than a year after Hurricane Katrina.

In the course of research for our book on the confiscation of firearms in the aftermath of the hurricane, we heard a number of similar stories. They all followed the same vein: A citizen is pulled over in a traffic stop. The NOPD officer takes a gun from the citizen, and asks if the citizen has a receipt for the gun. When the answer is no, the gun is seized, and the citizen is informed if they will show up at a specific precinct with proof of ownership, they can have the gun back.

A recent gentleman caller on a New Orleans radio talk show described having a personal handgun seized during a traffic stop. This particular gun was passed down through his family — it was an heirloom — and he wanted it back. This gentleman stated he had placed numerous calls to different divisions within the department, and had been unable to get any information on the whereabouts of his gun.

A local gun store informed me they have had numerous citizens buy guns, only to return and beg for a copy of their receipt to get the gun back after it had been seized during a traffic stop in New Orleans.

Apparently the impending lawsuit by the Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle Association seeking redress and return of the guns seized by law enforcement in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina has had little effect on the NOPD. If the stories we’re hearing are truthful, the police are still illegally confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens.

I spoke with two separate practicing attorneys — one works for the state of Louisiana and the other is also a commissioned law-enforcement officer. Both stated if the police were taking possession of guns from motorists during any sort of investigation, and the gun was not germane to the investigation, the seizure amounted to theft.

“Armed robbery by cop,” one said.

When I asked a good friend, a retired NOPD officer, about the practice, he stated it was a fairly common practice to take guns from motorists before the hurricane. He said he thought the practice had died out since the hurricane, however.

When I stuttered outrage over this practice, and told him it was illegal, his reply was: “Gordon, I didn’t say it was legal. I said they did it.”

To clarify this issue, a law-enforcement officer in any investigation has the right to conduct visual searches of what is in plain view in a vehicle, and conduct pat-down searches on any individual’s outer garments to determine if he is armed. If an individual has a concealed-carry permit, the officer has the right to secure the handgun — at least in Louisiana — from the individual and return it at the end of the investigation.

The courts have held a law-enforcement officer has the right to take reasonable actions to ensure his safety while conducting an investigation. This extends to the right to secure a firearm or other weapon from a vehicle while issuing a traffic citation — to keep the person receiving the citation from grabbing the gun and using it against the officer.

But if the crime is a traffic violation, the officer has no legal right to keep a gun found in the course of the investigation. In other words, while issuing a citation. At the end of the investigation (i.e. the issuance of the citation), the officer should return the gun. If he does not, he has committed an illegal act.

In all cases of seizure of any evidence, there are certain procedures to be followed to maintain a record of that evidence. In the course of narcotics, the drugs are logged in with the crime lab. If the evidence is not contraband such as drugs, most departments have procedures by which it is logged in to their evidence-holding facility, and recorded for future withdrawal in the event of a court case. In other words, if an officer seizes a gun, it should be turned in to evidence, not used to supplement his own personal firearms collection.

Most people are unfamiliar with the laws pertaining to ownership of firearms. That lack of knowledge, coupled with the intimidation most people feel in any encounter with police, allows unscrupulous officers to make off with guns they cannot turn in to evidence. To do so would be falsifying evidence and injuring public records, a serious pair of charges to be lodged against any police officer.

Here’s a quick primer on carrying guns in vehicles in Louisiana: You may have a gun. You may carry it in your vehicle. You may have it concealed, in the open, on the dash, on the seat, under the seat, in the glove box or hanging from the rear-view mirror.

Possession of a gun in your vehicle is perfectly legal in Louisiana as the vehicle is considered an extension of your home (As it is worded in LRS 14:95.2: “Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.”)

Therefore, if stopped by a law-enforcement officer for a traffic violation, it is a good practice to tell him if you have a gun in the glove box on top of the papers he is requesting. If it is not in such an awkward place, where the cop might understandably get excited if he witnesses you fumbling around for records while putting your hands on a gun, you do not need to tell him of the gun — there is no violation of the law in having the gun in your car.

If you have a concealed-carry permit, however, you are required by law to inform an officer conducting an official investigation that you have a permit, and whether you are in possession of a handgun. If the officer requests, you are required by law to surrender the gun to him while he is conducting the investigation.

And there is no reason for any law-enforcement officer to take your firearm if it is not evidence in the commission of a crime, unless you are being arrested and incarcerated— then all your possessions must be inventoried, recorded and stored.

In all cases dealing with the police, we should all be professional, polite and cordial — in the same manner as most police officers conduct their investigations with the general public. It’s a tough job they do, and a little politeness goes a long way with any cop.

According to the two attorneys with whom I consulted, if a police officer attempts to keep your firearm after issuing you a citation for a misdemeanor crime or a traffic citation, and you think he is doing so illegally, protest and demand he return your gun, then politely and firmly demand a supervisor be called to the scene.

If the officer refuses to do so, and leaves with your gun, try to get his/her unit number. One of the attorneys suggested you place an immediate phone call to the dispatcher of the department, and ask to speak to a supervisor, detailing the situation and what has happened. This makes your complaint an official record.

Of course, if you have been issued a citation, the department will have that on record. In all such cases, they advised you contact an attorney immediately, and let him handle it.

When I related these tales to the two attorneys, and stated the police were asking citizens if they had a receipt for their guns, one of them responded, “I don’t have a receipt for any of the guns I carry in my car. I don’t have a receipt for my cell phone either — and it’s the same thing.”

Gordon Hutchinson’s newest book, The Great New Orleans Gun Grab, written with Todd Masson, editor of this magazine, is an expose’ of the gun-confiscation scandal in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Thousands of guns were illegally seized from private citizens trying only to protect their personal property. You can read about the book at www.neworleansgungrab.com.

Hutchinson’s first book, The Quest and the Quarry, is a generational tale that parallels the lives of a line of trophy bucks and the youth of a farming family that hunts them. It was chosen as a Book of the Year by the Southeastern Outdoor Press Association. It is a must-read for anyone interested in the quest for a trophy buck. You can read about it at www.thequestandthequarry.com.

Both books can be ordered on-line or by calling (800) 538-4355.

Apparently the New Orleans PD doesn't have enough guns, so they're stealing them from everyone they stop for a traffic ticket. [rolleyes]

New Orleans has a long history of corruption, and the clowns who comprised the NOPD during Katrina were thugs and cowards. Looks like more of the same miscreants are running the asylum. I have no intentions of ever going there, armed or unarmed; from what I've seen it's it's own third world country. It can sink back into the ocean as far as I care. It contributes nothing of value to our nation. Anything I can get from Louisiana I can get by taking ex-lax.

It's a shame that you don't want to go there, WW - I found it a very interesting city, and much to my surprise I loved the food there.

The climate, however, sucks rocks.

It's a shame that you don't want to go there, WW - I found it a very interesting city, and much to my surprise I loved the food there.

You have to admit it was a haven for criminals before Katrina. I have been going there for 20 years on business and short of Bourbon street the city is a hole![smile]

The climate, however, sucks rocks.[/QUOTE]

It more then suck rocks!!!

I have a daughter who is a commander in the C.G. and has a house there (yes it is still there) and I will not go to visit her there!!

It sucks.

Fred

You have to admit it was a haven for criminals before Katrina. I have been going there for 20 years on business and short of Bourbon street the city is a hole![smile]

Well... the one time I was there I was staying across the street from the Convention Center (for a convention, natch!) and didn't go very far. Did go to Bourbon St, though. And wandered all over trying to get pictures of as many fish as I could!

This was my favorite, located, oddly enough, in front of the Hall of Justice!

I don't get too excited over something I'm going to flush in a few hours.

Lots of places have good food - without the abuse, crime and corruption of NOLA. It's a toilet waiting to be flushed.

Lots of places have good food - without the abuse, crime and corruption of NOLA. It's a toilet waiting to be flushed.
Hey, what can I say? I used to be a member of Yankee Beemers - our motto? Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride.

I have ridden to another state just to have breakfast.

The NOPD has a reputation for being one of most vile and corrupt police departments in the nation. Back in the 1980's, I believe, the American Automobile Assn. cautioned people about traveling in and through New Orleans. Part of the problem has been an extremely low salary scale.

Another aspect, is that today laws are routinely ignored by government officials at all levels and even when the court backs upholds the law and reprimands the official, it is frequently ignored, just like in a third world country...but then again, give us another 20 years we will be a third world country in terms of demographics and linguistics.

Mark L.

New Orleans has a long history of corruption, and the clowns who comprised the NOPD during Katrina were thugs and cowards. Looks like more of the same miscreants are running the asylum. I have no intentions of ever going there, armed or unarmed; from what I've seen it's it's own third world country. It can sink back into the ocean as far as I care. It contributes nothing of value to our nation. Anything I can get from Louisiana I can get by taking ex-lax.

I have never been there.
I have no intention of going there.
I think the entire city sucks.

IMHO

Holy Moly...as a person that grew up there...the NOLA is a wonderful place of heritage and history. Maybe because you damn Yankee's don't get the Southern Pride...but really the area around Bourbon Street is a hole. Get out from the Heart of NOLA, and it's a very rich and wonderful city.

There's a lot more to NOLA than the projects and Bourbon Street. And to say that it's a crap hole and never been is a very upsetting and Closed minded comment.

Ross is also correct...there is not place in the US where you can get food as wonderuls (if that's a word[smile]) as you can in Louisiana. And maybe Keith, you have to be someone that appreciates the fine flavors in food to understand. But I'm assuming your pallet is a closed as your mind on this one as well. [wink]

But as for the police? Yes, very corrupt and a force that you made sure you yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am every time that you spoke to them. But then, growing up there...you're treated different as a local as you were if you were from out of town.

Much like you are up here, in the North...were you all seem to think that you're better than everyone else sometimes.

NOLA has places like the Garden District where you won't find anything like it in the US. Homes that still carry the names of the families that built them hundreds of years ago. Or walking around Uptown, the area that was owned by Jean Baptiste before it was split up for smaller plantations. Venture out to see some of the large and rolling plantations that are just amazing to visit. Much more beautiful than Ocean Drive in Newport. Some of the best music comes out of that city...roots in Jazz and Blues that without that area, we wouldn't have...many of todays music is a direct result of music that came out of Louisiana/Mississippi.

I wouldn't knock it if you haven't been....if you have only seen the Bourbon area, I could see how you wouldn't like the town. But if you have been out of the area, and really took to the time to learn it...then maybe you could see how wonderful the area really is.

Still, that doesn't mean that reading this article doesn't piss me off. As I've seen the corruption first hand...it still makes me mad to read this. But it doesn't mean that I'm going to piss on the whole State because of one area.

Boston has some pretty shitty areas, areas that I wouldn't get caught in...but it doesn't mean that I would say that all of it sucks. OR why would I want to eat in the North End because I'm just going to shit it out later... That's just one of the most asinine comments I've read in a long time.

There's a lot more to NOLA than the projects and Bourbon Street.
We did take a tour or two, but as I said, it was a working trip - didn't really have a lot of time to spend there. If the weather didn't suck so bad I'd consider going back, but I really HATE hot, humid weather.

Unless it's on a beach in the Caribbean... or Hawaii.

We did take a tour or two, but as I said, it was a working trip - didn't really have a lot of time to spend there. If the weather didn't suck so bad I'd consider going back, but I really HATE hot, humid weather.

Unless it's on a beach in the Caribbean... or Hawaii.

Yea, that's one thing that I don't miss. Super Heated air holding a higher amount of humidity.

That and Hurricane Season. We had Hurricane days built into our school year, much like Snow days are up here.

C-pher I agree with you. I was in NOLA once. It was late August of 2005. We left a bit early because it was supposed to rain or something. I was with a LA native, but he wasn't from NOLA. He was actually from up around Union and Monroe Parishes. My friend made a point of saying that NO is not like the rest of the state. It's sort of like NY City and NY State in that regard.

I enjoyed my time down there, but like Ross I was there for a conference, not vacation.

The NOPD needs to be taken apart and rebuilt from the ground up, then again so does the entire city government.

This is the sort of public corruption that the FBI is supposed to investigate. Then again, that's not going to happen because it would be "racist".

My friend made a point of saying that NO is not like the rest of the state. It's sort of like NY City and NY State in that regard.

Hell, NO Proper is not like the rest of NOLA. It just pisses me off when people make off the cuff comments with no knowledge what so ever of what they are talking about.

More so from people that bitch all the time about that happening to them in regard to politicians and anti's.

About ten years ago one of the news shows did a story on LA and its police departments, specifically New Orleans, and that it was possibly the most corrupt department in the US. They also mentioned that the average pay for a Sgt on the force was $14k.

Holy Moly...as a person that grew up there...the [sic] NOLA is a wonderful place of heritage and history. Maybe because you damn Yankee's [sic] don't get the Southern Pride...but really the area around Bourbon Street is a hole. Get out from the Heart of NOLA, and it's a very rich and wonderful city.

I didn't realize incompetence, crime and civic corruption were cornerstones of "Southern Pride."

There's a lot more to NOLA than the projects and Bourbon Street. And to say that it's a crap hole and never been is a very upsetting and Closed minded comment.

Nonsense. It is a rational conclusion drawn on well-documented facts. Before, during and after Katrina.

Ross is also correct...there is not place in the US where you can get food as wonderuls (if that's a word[smile]) [there isn't] as you can in Louisiana. And maybe Keith, you have to be someone that appreciates the fine flavors in food to understand. But I'm assuming your pallet [sic] is a closed as your mind on this one as well. [wink]

Fine food can be obtained in a number of locales. Many far cleaner, safer and less corrupt. I opt for the latter.

But as for the police? Yes, very corrupt and a force that you made sure you yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am every time that you spoke to them. But then, growing up there...you're treated different as a local as you were if you were from out of town.

Much like you are up here, in the North...were [sic] you all seem to think that you're better than everyone else sometimes.

Name ONE PD in the "North" with the documented reputation for corruption the New Orleans PD has earned.

NOLA has places like the Garden District where you won't find anything like it in the US. Homes that still carry the names of the families that built them hundreds of years ago. Or walking around Uptown, the area that was owned by Jean Baptiste before it was split up for smaller plantations. Venture out to see some of the large and rolling plantations that are just amazing to visit. Much more beautiful than Ocean Drive in Newport.

Merely your opinion. And one can find similar districts in Savannah, Charleston and Richmond - including the plantations.

Some of the best music comes out of that city...roots in Jazz and Blues that without that area, we wouldn't have...many of todays music is a direct result of music that came out of Louisiana/Mississippi.

True. Yet irrelevant, as one does not have to go the NOLA to hear that music.

Still, that doesn't mean that reading this article doesn't piss me off. As I've seen the corruption first hand...it still makes me mad to read this. But it doesn't mean that I'm going to piss on the whole State because of one area.

No-one was "going to piss on the whole State because of one area." The comments were very specific; New Orleans sucks. No-one attacked the entire state of Louisiana.

Boston has some pretty shitty areas, areas that I wouldn't get caught in...but it doesn't mean that I would say that all of it sucks. OR why would I [not]want to eat in the North End because I'm just going to shit it out later... That's just one of the most asinine comments I've read in a long time.

Haven't read much lately, have you? [rolleyes]

Do they have a law which requires you to inform the officer that you have a firearm?

Read the thread and OPs link. Yes, but only for CCW holders which is particularly galling, considering they are the least likely to commit crime.

Fine food can be obtained in a number of locales. Many far cleaner, safer and less corrupt. I opt for the latter.
Having had "Cajun" food up here AND down there, I stand by my comments. Hell, Scriv - have you ever been to a CONFERENCE CENTER where the food was GOOD? I hadn't... until I went to NOLa. Even THAT was good. And the local restaurants... wow.

That said, I likely won't go back unless I have a compelling reason - but the food IS awesome there. And unique.

I didn't realize incompetence, crime and civic corruption were cornerstones of "Southern Pride."

What does the fact that I say, get away from NO Proper for some wonderful areas have to do with Crime? That's a jump that serves no point other than to make some meaningless point. Being proud of the South because as I said, there's a rich heartiage, has nothing to do with crime and corruption.

But if it makes you feel better to make some irrational leap, then so be it.

Nonsense. It is a rational conclusion drawn on well-documented facts. Before, during and after Katrina.

No, before, during, and after Katrina, the outskirts of NOLA has been and still, is a wonderful place. A place with a lot of history, great Galleries, educational systems, Museums, and history. You are still only focusing on what you saw on TV. Looting of the poorer parts of the city. A very small sample set to base a general idea.

Hey, two cousin in Alabama got married. All Southerners are inbred. [rolleyes]

Again, you're focusing on a VERY small sample. And no...you don't go to Ethiopia for Italian Food. You don't go to New England for Southern Memphis BBQ. You don't go to Arkansas for Fresh Crab.

You can not, and will not, find Cajun and Creole food that is made in any other part of the US like you will down South.

When I'm in Memphis, I go to Interstate BBQ for lunch. I go for lunch only because of where it's located...and you don't want to be in that area when all the local businesses are closed. You want good Memphis BBQ, you go to Interstate. I choose, I can only guess unlike you, to not live my life in fear. Only to deprive myself from things that I enjoy. I just choose to do it wisely.

And there are MANY places to eat, again outside of NO Proper that is flat out amazing. Even Brennans in Memphis can't come close to the taste and quality that you get from the Original Brennans in New Orleans. It's all about the ingredients and freshness from what you can get local.

Again, you choose to only look at a small sample of the area.

Name ONE PD in the "North" with the documented reputation for corruption the New Orleans PD has earned.

New York comes to mind as one of not as proper departments.

Merely your opinion. And one can find similar districts in Savannah, Charleston and Richmond - including the plantations.

Meaningless. Who's talking about Georga? You can find them in Mississippi as well. But that has nothing to do with my point. My point is that what's outside of the city is there. It's not my opinion. It's documented fact. GO there...see.

But it's easy to cast a stone on things you know nothing about.

True. Yet irrelevant, as one does not have to go the NOLA to hear that music.

I'm sorry. But Blues where it began just sounds different than Blues in say...Montana.

It's why Motown fans want to go the Apollo Theatre. Why People that love Blues and Elvis to go Sun Studio... And you can't have a Cajun Funeral in Mass. It's not the same...like it or not...if you want good Jazz, you go to New Orleans.

Having had "Cajun" food up here AND down there, I stand by my comments. Hell, Scriv - have you ever been to a CONFERENCE CENTER where the food was GOOD? I hadn't... until I went to NOLa. Even THAT was good. And the local restaurants... wow.

That said, I likely won't go back unless I have a compelling reason - but the food IS awesome there. And unique.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I loved the food down there. It reminded me of what I grew up on. (I later found that mom's favorite cookbook was "River Road Recipes"). What I could have done without was the fact that the entire French quarter smelled like the dumpster at my first job (where I bussed tables).

N.O. was a wonderful place to visit. I wouldn't want to live there.

Back
Top Bottom