Guns and Sporting Events

Ok... here's one I haven't seen spoken about, and would be interested to know more about my rights and Sporting Events.

I'm not talking about pro-football or pro anything... really just the minor league stuff.

Up here in New Hampshire, I'll go see the local hockey team or local baseball team.

Ever since 9/11 they've just done a cursory check, under your coat in the winter, maybe a quick pat down. Lately, as we get further and further away from what happened, things have lightened up and I haven't seen any patdowns.

How does CCW and sporting events work then? There's no signs stating that you can NOT bring a gun, no nothing as a matter of fact.

Is this just a case of a private entity being able to deny you?

It's just the policy of the place where the sporting event is held. If they pat you down and find a firearm all they can do is tell you that firearms are not allowed in the building.

The owners of a private establishment have the right to deny entry if they choose to do so.

Sporting Events

This is an area which varies significantly by state.

In some states, it is illegal to carry to a sporting event, venue where admission is charged, or an assortment of other places. Also, the sale of beer at a concession stand would make the entire facility a "premise licensed for on-site consumption of alcohol", which is a prohibited area under the restaruant ban which is not at all uncommon in states with recently enacted CCW laws.

In some other states, it is a criminal offense to violate a sign prohibiting weapons provide the sign meet certain requirements. This is the case in TX, and in bars in Maine.

In yet other states (MA is one), you are subject only to private property prohibitions. You do not have the "right" to enter private property armed, however, the private property owner cannot cause breaking his rule to be a crime unless it violates an existing statute.. While you could be charged with trespass for failure to leave, I am not aware that MA has accepted the concept of algorothmic trespass (a declaration that violating certain rules is trespass, and therefore, subjects the user to arrest without the need he first be asked to leave - this was the method by which TX allowed businesses to make on-premises carry a crime prior to the passing of their 30.06 sign posting law).

The states which had carry permit laws which were originally intended to prevent the "wrong type of people" from going armed tend to have the fewest restrictions on where permit holders can carry - NY, MA, NH and RI come to mine. States which obtained new permit laws under the expansion of recent years tend to have a laundry list of off-limits places which were added in negotiations (FL,, TX and AZ come to mine). MI was an even more interesting case - new restrictions were added when they changed from an old style "persons of privilige and influence" system to a "shall issue' system - most people got new rights, but the priviliged elite lost carry rights in a few places.

I am amazed at the number of laws MA gun owners tend to make up - "You can't carry in a bar", "You can't carry in a bank", "You can't posess a firearm on school property even if the gun is not on your person", etc.

Mass does not allow anyone but an LEO to carry "on their person" on any school property.

Post office carry is one of those really wierd cases. I'd advise not to, but if you read the entire regulation it does seem to allow anyone who has a license for protection to do so.

Also be aware that while some states do not forbid carry in a place that sells alcohol, there might be a law that would get you into trouble for doing so much as taking a sip of your wife's wine.

And in those states where CCW is by the whim of the 'Man', doing anything that makes his life more complicated will be an issue.

That said, I've managed deep carry into many Boston events with the wife.

yup

Living in New Hampshire has its advantages then...

The only rule on the books I see, and according to packing.org is that new hampshire doesn't allow guns into courtrooms, and court buildings period.

Other then that... Everything else is free game according to the state. Privately... well... that's another question. But I don't see any signs saying not to, nor anything stating such.

They've actually stopped patting you down... So my conceal holster that looks like a wallet will probably be ok.

Lots of people from Mass here I take it?

Re: yup

carter said:
Lots of people from Mass here I take it?

Well, either there are more of us here, or we just need someplace to pitch a bitch about the f-ed up laws that our oh-so-well-meaning politicos saddle us with. :)

Ross

I remember a sign years ago at the Springfield Civic Center saying that anyone possessing a firearm on the premises would be charged with Criminal Trespass.

Also, the Big E gunshow requires you to check your ammo at the door. Their sign also says that anyone possessing ammunition inside the building would also be charged with Criminal Trespass.

Trespass

Anyone can claim anything on a sign.

Are there any lawyers here who can comment? Would it be possible to get a conviction for trespass in MA if an individual violated a "rule" of the owner, but did not refuse to leave when asked?

KMaurer said:
Let's not forget the ever popular "you can't carry in a post office."

Ken
There is a big sign IN my post office (PO Box location) in fall river.
I pulled the postmaster from behind the counter, showed him the exact wording of the US code (their sign paraphrases the code saying its completely illegal), and asked him to remove the sign as it completely inacuratetly interprets the law. He said he'de think about it.

If its not down on my next weekly POBox visit, I'll go over his head.

Little did he know, I was packing the whole time :D

Back
Top Bottom