Guns and homeowner's insurance

Prepper

NES Member
I just saw another post that involved insurance and that made me remember something I had been wondering about a while back.

I have a standard homeowner's insurance policy (in MA, through Commerce). I never told them about any guns nor did they ask about any guns (besides, I didn't yet own guns at the time I started the policy). Are the guns automatically insured by the policy? I had to have a special add-on to insure wedding rings; I don't need to do likewise for guns do I?

Also, if they found out I had guns, would they either terminate the policy or raise the rates? I'm afraid to call them up and ask them, since doing so would tip them off that I actually own guns, and if that's not something they should know, then I'd prefer I not do anything that let's them know this.

Any ideas?

I have State Farm. They automatically include up to $5000.00 per policy. Beyond my agent suggested a rider with a organization such as the NRA...

State Farm couldn't care less about firearms. They did grill me in lenght about my scuba diving activities.

Doesn't anybody bother to read their insurance policies? Every single word defining what is and isn't covered is right there in the policy. Most aren't that long and in most cases are in relatively simple English. Some things are boiler plated in, but you've got complete copies of everything; it's not "see form HSC-21.10(MA)", which you need to write the company to get. If you don't bother reading it, you're essentially giving your money to somebody in the hopes that they might help you out when something bad happens, based on wishful thinking and totally unenforceable verbal promises.

Ken

I wouldn't call! Companies in this area are "squirrelly" when it comes to firearms. Read your policy, it likely has an automatic $2K coverage, and just be prepared that if you ever do file a claim involving firearms they will likely cancel you as a result.

I had an Underwriter at AMICA tell me that they wouldn't write any policies if they knew someone had guns in the house. They volunteered that info in a conversation about "town activities". Since they never asked, I never mentioned it either.

I have Collectibles' covering my guns. NRA was twice as expensive as Collectibles and homeowner riders are multiples of NRA costs for similar (but lesser) coverage.

I'd read the policy if I could actually find the thing. It's here... somewhere!

I don't particularly enjoy reading contracts like this. I actually read my mortgage a while back, and it forbids me from storing any kind of explosive liquid on the property. Unfortunately, my heating system has an oil tank, I have some gas for my lawn mower, some kerosene for emergency heat during an extended power outage, propane for my grill, and gas in my cars that I keep on the property. [angry]

My insurance agent brought up the idea about putting firearms on the policy without knowing we even had them, he was not suprised we did and thought nothing of adding them to our coverage. I dont know if he was a "gun guy" but he wanted to make sure we were covered.

Doesn't anybody bother to read their insurance policies? Every single word defining what is and isn't covered is right there in the policy. Most aren't that long and in most cases are in relatively simple English. Some things are boiler plated in, but you've got complete copies of everything; it's not "see form HSC-21.10(MA)", which you need to write the company to get. If you don't bother reading it, you're essentially giving your money to somebody in the hopes that they might help you out when something bad happens, based on wishful thinking and totally unenforceable verbal promises.

Ken
I don't know about you but trying to read an insurance policy causes 2 things to happen to me 1give me a headache and 2 make my eyes spin counter clockwise. Honestly there is usably some much "weasel wording" that no one but the likes of Scrivener can figure the damn things out

Mike, Your agent is trying to sell additional insurance to boost his commissions. He has NOTHING to do with insurance company policy!

If the company doesn't like guns, you will have trouble and your agent will melt into the woodwork.

I found this out the hard way when the gas line let go and my Wife's car caught fire as she was driving back in 1979. The company illegally seized the car from the tow lot without notifying me, then sold it at auction prior to paying me for the loss! Three months prior my agent told me it was worth ~$1500 and when the insurance company would only give me $500 for it I went to him and he REFUSED to get involved! I dumped him and the company for all my insurance immediately (took the "short rate" hit) and filed a car theft report with the RMV (which I'm sure went nowhere)! Now I deal direct with the insurance company employees, no agents! But there are some things I will not ask about to avoid stirring a hornet's nest.

Mike, Your agent is trying to sell additional insurance to boost his commissions. He has NOTHING to do with insurance company policy!

I misspoke we do not deal with an agent either.

My wife works for the insurance company in question and not only does it not cost us anymore to cover the guns we actually get a employee discount on the whole policy. And, form the way this company has treated my wife I don't think I have too much to worry about. With any luck (knock on wood) I will never be in the situation were the policy comes into play but for now I feel confident with them.

Right now my collection is quite small but if it is to grow in the future I would probably look into other insurance options.

Last edited:
I have State Farm. They automatically include up to $5000.00 per policy. Beyond my agent suggested a rider with a organization such as the NRA...

State Farm couldn't care less about firearms. They did grill me in lenght about my scuba diving activities.

you got me nervous here!! my wife and I are both divers. is this for life insurance purposes or homeowners? we were not asked by either our life ins or homeowners about this.....should I be worried?

I attempted to buy Umbrella Coverage once many years ago. They asked me what I did activities wise. When I told them that I was a Special PO and served on a gov't advisory committee, they said NO! They also volunteered that they will not knowingly write insurance for someone who is a Selectmen, Town/City Councilor, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, School Committee member. These folks are regularly sued for their volunteer activities when they rule against someone.

It was in that conversation that the "we won't insure people with guns in the house" comment was made by the Underwriter!

Once I was no longer a Special PO, I called them back and told them and they wrote the Umbrella policy.

Don't ask, don't tell seems to be a good policy to follow with insurance companies! I never lied to them . . . I just don't volunteer info to them and they've never asked any other questions. I've been insured with the same company since 1979.

Okay, here's where I'm unclear on this whole situation, and you guys are worrying me. I have USAA renter's insurance, and they seem pretty good. Their auto insurance people were great when some douchebag hit me and totalled my truck this winter, and they've been pretty good on the banking side.

When your house burns down/is robbed/washes away in the hurricane...don't you have to present them with your itemized list, file of receipts and (in my case) the video where you document all your crap, as a part of the claim?

What stops them from checking out the list and going "oh no, you have X number of guns and other items we don't think are politically correct, so we're not going to pay for those"?

Generally, there are limitations on "theft" of firearms. You have a sublimit of coverage for that. Usually it is $1000, 2500 or $5,000. If your loss is due to one of the other listed perils, generally you have full coverage up to your contents or property limits. That said, you normally do not have "all risk" coverage for contents. It is listed perils and if it isn't on the list, it isn't covered.

The questions about my diving activities was for an updated insurance policy. Not even that big of a policy. They started getting nervious when I answered yes to the questions about diving below 150 feet. They asked questions concerning past, present and future activities. Not sure if I told them about the 190 foot dive. Thankfully I don't have to tell them about the trip next month to Canada!!!!

They are very concerned about the activity. My dive partner is the instructor that I was assisiting back in NJ and has many 200 foot plus dives on OC gear. Not he dives a rebreather in his cave diving and open water activities so they must really hate him.

Thankfully I gave up skydiving or they wouldn't even talk to me. Funny think is many years back when I originally got the policies they didn't ask anything.

See now..my big Q for my agent was..since we live in Ma. and IF my gun was stolen/in a fire/or what ever..i CAN NOT replace some of them..DUE to the current laws i COULD NOT GET another...(insert GUN name).... SO what is the deal then!???????[thinking]

See now..my big Q for my agent was..since we live in Ma. and IF my gun was stolen/in a fire/or what ever..i CAN NOT replace some of them..DUE to the current laws i COULD NOT GET another...(insert GUN name).... SO what is the deal then!???????[thinking]

SOL. They'll give you a settlement.. cash.

OK..Cost ++???

It's usually market value or replacement value. Since you can't get it in MA anymore they can't do replacement value. Market value would have to be a "market" outside MA right? I wouldn't expect anything high just because you're in MA... unless you ask for special insurance. I'm not an isurance expert but this is what I'd suspect would happen. When in doubt... ask. [wink] Would they not tell you??

They asked me how much I wanted to put in the policy for their value, so I told him what I paid for them and he said ok that is what you get if there is a claim. He also ask me how much the value of all the ammo in my house is and put that down as well.

Okay, here's where I'm unclear on this whole situation, and you guys are worrying me. I have USAA renter's insurance, and they seem pretty good. Their auto insurance people were great when some douchebag hit me and totalled my truck this winter, and they've been pretty good on the banking side.

When your house burns down/is robbed/washes away in the hurricane...don't you have to present them with your itemized list, file of receipts and (in my case) the video where you document all your crap, as a part of the claim?

What stops them from checking out the list and going "oh no, you have X number of guns and other items we don't think are politically correct, so we're not going to pay for those"?

It's called a contract, which is why I strongly suggested that everybody should sit down and actually read their policies. You should also review a copy of your application and the answers you provided to the questions in it. Those to items comprise the entire contract between you and the insurer. If you provide false answers to any question on the application, that can void the policy, entitling you to nothing more than a refund of the premiums you've paid. If you've answered truthfully and there's nothing in the contract specifically excluding guns or some other item from coverage, then they're contractually obligated to pay for them.

Ken

It's not always as simple as that. The circumstances under which they can deny payment are limited and it's not always as black and white as "a lie on the application means coverage denial." For example, it is my understanding that life insurance payments may be deinied on this basis during the first two years of policy coverage but, after two years, the insurer loses the ability to deny based on items such as non-disclosed pre-existing conditions.

Back
Top Bottom