• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gunbroker game

btnh6668

NES Member
Just wondering if i am the only one who low bids a bunch of stuff all the time to see if i get away with wining something super cheap? I got lucky again wining a still in package 75 round chinese drum for $115. Although i am like 12 for 500 its still worth it. The key is to target low feedback sellers since people are less likely to bid, also go for the sellers that don't take credit cards.

I got an old single shot 12ga for $58 a couple years ago. Cleaned up nice and haven’t touched the 870 since.

Haven’t seen anything crazy low lately. They may be onto us. I did just score a .243 handi rifle for $230. Lower than I’ve seen elsewhere.

The key is to target low feedback sellers since people are less likely to bid, also go for the sellers that don't take credit cards.

No feedback? Cash or MO? Worth it until you get scammed then all those savings are lost. There is a reason why low feedback sellers are less likely to get bids. You have to be extra careful with such a strategy and there are numerous tricks that could burn you throughout the transaction process.

No feedback? Cash or MO? Worth it until you get scammed then all those savings are lost. There is a reason why low feedback sellers are less likely to get bids. You have to be extra careful with such a strategy and there are numerous tricks that could burn you throughout the transaction process.
This

Low feedback, did not say NO feedback. I understand the risk and i say go for it. At most $100 or under is the risk. Since i bid on low money items 150 and under that is my risk. When i do it for items over 150 i still look for low feedback but credit at that point. Definitely not my first rodeo.

Just wondering if i am the only one who low bids a bunch of stuff all the time to see if i get away with wining something super cheap? I got lucky again wining a still in package 75 round chinese drum for $115. Although i am like 12 for 500 its still worth it. The key is to target low feedback sellers since people are less likely to bid, also go for the sellers that don't take credit cards.
It depends. Lately most auctions end up with retarded outcomes, as people just throw money without thinking. When it will calm down again- may be.

I understand the risk and i say go for it. At most $100 or under is the risk.

Yea, that's the key. Being aware that you might be taken for a ride and willing to eat the loss. Balancing that personal cost/risk is the actual game ... no matter the platform. Low feedback is mucho better than no feedback but there are some sellers that manage to game their feedback score, too (aka ebay et al).

It doesn't take much for a single transaction gone wrong to find yourself behind in the end. I'd question whether nominal savings on already inexpensive items would be worth the heartache.

To be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't. There are plenty of good and honest folk that will follow through and everyone's happy. But, the scammers are also mixed in there. Figuring who's who is not always straightforward. Particularly for cash only transactions ... through the mail. I too have taken such risks in the past, sometimes on high value items, but always under very specific circumstances or for specialty items that are not targeted by scammers or are in high demand. I've also encountered counterfit items or strange events while in transit (name it, it's happened) on items that would be an excellent deal if it had arrived ... but rarely ate it in the end and always got my money back (CC or other protections). My risk tolerance has changed over the years to the point of paying an extra twenty to a vetted seller versus the lowest cost ends-up being worth it in time and frustration.

Yea, that's the key. Being aware that you might be taken for a ride and willing to eat the loss. Balancing that personal cost/risk is the actual game ... no matter the platform. Low feedback is mucho better than no feedback but there are some sellers that manage to game their feedback score, too (aka ebay et al).

It doesn't take much for a single transaction gone wrong to find yourself behind in the end. I'd question whether nominal savings on already inexpensive items would be worth the heartache.

To be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't. There are plenty of good and honest folk that will follow through and everyone's happy. But, the scammers are also mixed in there. Figuring who's who is not always straightforward. Particularly for cash only transactions ... through the mail. I too have taken such risks in the past, sometimes on high value items, but always under very specific circumstances or for specialty items that are not targeted by scammers or are in high demand. I've also encountered counterfit items or strange events while in transit (name it, it's happened) on items that would be an excellent deal if it had arrived ... but rarely ate it in the end and always got my money back (CC or other protections). My risk tolerance has changed over the years to the point of paying an extra twenty to a vetted seller versus the lowest cost ends-up being worth it in time and frustration.
Yea for sure i hear you. As of right now i can honestly say on the few that i did win i am probably up between 350-450 in savings based on market value of the things i won. No one wants to take a loss including myself but right now the reward has been worth that risk. Its definitely important to stress using credit card only when going for large money items to ensure you are protected. Gunbroker will protect you up to $500 which in reality is only $400 because they charge a $100 deductible.

I've been doing the opposite. I've sold some stuff on GB for three times what a normal person would pay. It's amazing watching people bid much more than MSRP for a used gun. When you add shipping and whatever they pay their FFL for the transfer it gets really crazy.

I've been doing the opposite. I've sold some stuff on GB for three times what a normal person would pay. It's amazing watching people bid much more than MSRP for a used gun. When you add shipping and whatever they pay their FFL for the transfer it gets really crazy.
i got my tavor on a gunbroker last year eary fall for a very reasonable price from a NY small gun shop, 100% legit and simple transaction, paid via paypal. so, it depends.

I've been buying on gun auction sites since they came out and I've only been screwed once. It was by a seller who I bought from many times over the years. Apparently he got into money trouble and screwed a lot of people. I only lost around $80 to him. He was keeping in contact with me and kept saying he was shipping and the bad feedback wasn't true. I bought lots of special ammo from him for years. Then one day he turned into a piece of shit thief. Cops were called, but I never heard back. hopefully the people who got burned badly got theirs. He was also banned also.

i got my tavor on a gunbroker last year eary fall for a very reasonable price from a NY small gun shop, 100% legit and simple transaction, paid via paypal. so, it depends.
Absolutely. You can find good deals on GB if you're patient and your timing is right. And you can also make killing selling on there. For some reason, maybe it's the bidding process, but some people are willing to spend way more than what seems reasonable. Which is fine with me. I've sold a lot more guns than I've bought through GB.

If I see something going too cheap I bump it to see what happens.

I got a Winchester M1 Garand for $500 because it was going too cheap. Nobody bid again so it's in my safe. I've got a few other things I bid on for the same reason, but the M1 was the best one.
How long ago? This isn't one of those 20 years ago stories? ;)

How long ago? This isn't one of those 20 years ago stories? ;)
sounds like it as i scan it from time to time for sks`es and other rifles - there are no miracles there at all, all still gets sold with a hefty premium, much above of sanity limits.

Yea for sure i hear you. As of right now i can honestly say on the few that i did win i am probably up between 350-450 in savings based on market value of the things i won. No one wants to take a loss including myself but right now the reward has been worth that risk. Its definitely important to stress using credit card only when going for large money items to ensure you are protected. Gunbroker will protect you up to $500 which in reality is only $400 because they charge a $100 deductible.
Not taking credit cards means nothing. 1) The Feds look to see if you are "in the business of selling firearms", and taking cards is something they strongly consider as indicating that. 2) I used Square years ago, but they sucked so badly I gave up. I wasn't able to edit my account when I moved, and now I am completely locked out of doing anything with it (except for logging in). 3) Tried using discreet PayPal to do it, but the last time they "held my funds" until proof of delivery was made (a UPS/FedEx tracking number - what if it was face-to-face?) since the buyer listed it as a "security setup". No mas!

I’m skeptical of all the high prices on gunbroker. For example, Sig MCX sold at around $2,500 get relisted repeatedly with no feedback left from either party and some of the bidding usernames keep reappearing.
And bidding names have similar syntax…e.g. xxxxxn71, xxxxxn74 and so on. I bid once on those then bail…

I may have just pulled a rifle out from under some lowball bidders. Bid was sitting about $200 under Buy It Now with 6 hours to go when I found it - but the Buy it Now was $180 under the best price I could find from any source. Since I've was actively looking for that particular rifle, the choice was obvious. I've always found differing auction strategies entertaining, and the heartburn over conflicting strategy usually coming from people not understanding not everyone has the same goals as they do.

Best gunbroker score ever...

Several years ago there was an HRA M1 Garand listed. At first glance, nothing special, basic mix master.... but I took a look further at the pics and determined there was an overwhelming chance the rifle had an extremely early and collectable op rod.

Ended up winning the rifle without any bidding drama. And then I sold the op rod to a collector for basically what I paid for the rifle.

No experience with GunBroker, but I buy a ton of Halloween props on eBay, and I have reached the point where I no longer even look at items up for auction. I only look at items that have a 'Buy Now' price. The reason being that almost every single time I won an auction for a low price the seller cancelled the transaction, making up some excuse for why they couldn't go thru with it. All of which were complete bullshit, they just didn't like the price. And eBay doesn't allow you to leave negative feedback if a seller cancels the transaction.

My apologies if this is off topic.

I may have just pulled a rifle out from under some lowball bidders. Bid was sitting about $200 under Buy It Now with 6 hours to go when I found it - but the Buy it Now was $180 under the best price I could find from any source. Since I've was actively looking for that particular rifle, the choice was obvious. I've always found differing auction strategies entertaining, and the heartburn over conflicting strategy usually coming from people not understanding not everyone has the same goals as they do.
Sometimes the buy now makes more sense. I was looking for a hard-to-find Ruger M77 - in 7.62.x39. Everyone bid it up to withing $30 of the "buy now" price. To me it was worth the extra $30. Easy choice. As always, calculating shipping and transfer in, which can make or break the deal.

There used to be a site, auction arms, i liked it better than gun broker. Way back when, I'd cruise the "goin going gone" section, items that were closing withing minutes. I put a bid in on a Ruger super Blackhawk with the squared off trigger guard in 44mag, Un fluted cylinder, for $285, and it went through and I won it lol.

No experience with GunBroker, but I buy a ton of Halloween props on eBay, and I have reached the point where I no longer even look at items up for auction. I only look at items that have a 'Buy Now' price. The reason being that almost every single time I won an auction for a low price the seller cancelled the transaction, making up some excuse for why they couldn't go thru with it. All of which were complete bullshit, they just didn't like the price. And eBay doesn't allow you to leave negative feedback if a seller cancels the transaction.

My apologies if this is off topic.
eBay is garbage now.

Best gunbroker score ever...

Several years ago there was an HRA M1 Garand listed. At first glance, nothing special, basic mix master.... but I took a look further at the pics and determined there was an overwhelming chance the rifle had an extremely early and collectable op rod.

Ended up winning the rifle without any bidding drama. And then I sold the op rod to a collector for basically what I paid for the rifle.

I beg to differ:

1862 Bondage Fetish Peep Show Novelty Set - Everything Else at GunBroker.com : 903627022

Adolf Hitler Inscribed & Signed 1937 Christmas Greeting Card German WWII SS - WW1 & WW2 Collectibles at GunBroker.com : 903846412

You all know you want a gimmicky BDSM kit and a (probably fake) Hitler postcard.

Back
Top Bottom