Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

I think there are more gun shops doing this than not. Probably a safeguard against a sting by our AG.
No, it's not. I don't even think deli ticket emporium has done this. 🤣 There's absolutely nothing illegal about letting an unwashed person touch a typical gun in mass in the presence of an LTC holder.

It's just a vein of shitty shops with owners that have a pole up their ass. The bottom 50% of MA shops are like this.

No, it's not. I don't even think deli ticket emporium has done this. 🤣 There's absolutely nothing illegal about letting an unwashed person touch a typical gun in mass in the presence of an LTC holder.

It's just a vein of shitty shops with owners that have a pole up their ass. The bottom 50% of MA shops are like this.
Every person who take the LTC safety course handles guns without a LTC

It’s just another one of those made up internet laws

I can think of one possible scenario where this coould make sense.

Imagine a shop is located in a bad area with a high percentage of gang members. As a shop owner do you:

a) Let anyone over 21 handle a gun?
b) Make a judgment call on each one and risk being denounced for racism if you deny a diverse peson who turns out to be a pillar of society type?
c) Make a blanket policy that prevents gang members from using your shop to learn about various model handguns with no legal right or intent to purchase?

If it's the shop I'm thinking about the owner himself has come onto NES to state that the Massachusetts State Police and the State of Massachusetts itself have both harassed him.
If that is the case and if he had any balls, he should have told them to go F**K THEMSELVES!! They have no jurisdiction once they crossed the state line. I actually think that the guy is full of shit.

I can think of one possible scenario where this coould make sense.

Imagine a shop is located in a bad area with a high percentage of gang members. As a shop owner do you:

b) Make a judgment call on each one and risk being denounced for racism if you deny a diverse peson who turns out to be a pillar of society type?
c) Make a blanket policy that prevents gang members from using your shop to learn about various model handguns with no legal right or intent to purchase?
Westport? 😂 it’s God’s country (100% white) and the shop is run by the ex Fall River licensing officer. It’s PD heaven over there

I’m not a lawyer, but…

Section 129C:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;
If it is so clearly articulated, then the LGS asking to see a LTC makes no sense at all. They themselves are LTC holders (most likely), and temporary handling of firearms by non-LTC seems to be allowed in their presence, it seems like.

It doesn't. It strokes someone's ego and makes them feel irrationally "safe and warmy" at best, while everyone else is just confused by it.
Agreed. The same would have to be true for ammo
Look man, the housing market will crash in 2 weeks, realtors don't do any work and EV are the future. Trust the science. NES.
2 weeks from today or tomorrow?

I can think of one possible scenario where this could make sense.

b) Make a judgment call on each one and risk being denounced for racism if you deny a diverse person who turns out to be a pillar of society type?
Have you been anywhere on the Cape lately?

Every shop would be like that

In this state, I can't fault a dealer for covering their assess, even if what they are doing is 100% legal. I left my LTC in the car one day at the Mill (had switched wallets) and had to go fetch it to buy ammo. Even though I have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars at this dealers shop, I don't fault them at all for asking me to go get my LTC. You never know who is lurking around waiting to drop a dime. Shit 100% of the reporters roaming the halls don't know a single gun law - they could easily attract some unwanted attention from the Fuhrer for reporting something they might THINK is illegal.

I recently went to a shop in a rural town. I was the only one in the shop, besides the employees. The person who I was talking to has personally known me for over ten years and knows I have a LTC. He demanded to see my license stating it was not a store policy but "the law". This is the same clerk who tells everyone that enters the shop, takes a BFS course, or receives private lessons from him that ALL Glocks are illegal for non LEO's to own or possess! This individual is the definition of a terrible gunshop clerk or former LEO in a gunshop, when it comes to actual law in the Commonwealth.

Stores get a lot of people who don’t have licenses asking to handle guns. It’s a way of making sure they don’t spend too much time on them vs a licensed customer.

In this state, I can't fault a dealer for covering their assess, even if what they are doing is 100% legal. I left my LTC in the car one day at the Mill (had switched wallets) and had to go fetch it to buy ammo. Even though I have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars at this dealers shop, I don't fault them at all for asking me to go get my LTC. You never know who is lurking around waiting to drop a dime. Shit 100% of the reporters roaming the halls don't know a single gun law - they could easily attract some unwanted attention from the Fuhrer for reporting something they might THINK is illegal.
You actually bought something. They needed to see it.

I don’t really have a problem outting them, they’re just one of the many shops that do this.

Shooting Supply in Westport. Great prices. Great people. Stupid policy.

I was there recently and received what I would consider bad information. Not my neck of the woods but their online inventory showed a piece I was looking for and figured I’d take a ride. As I pulled into the parking lot I double checked and realized my dumb ass misread the page but figured what the hell I’ll pop in and check out the place. Three people behind the counter. I inquired about the Springfield hellcat pro and the older gentleman told me they are not MA compliant. I’m not into arguing with people in gun shops so I just let it go. They were polite but I think just misinformed. To make matters worse the woman behind the counter inserted herself into the conversation by asking me what’s a hellcat. I replied Springfield Armory. She just shrugged her shoulders and said she didn’t know. I thanked them for their time and walked out. I walked away kind of PO thinking it’s bad enough we have to put up with the bullshit restrictions in this shit state and they’re making it worse. I felt like I was back at that shop in Middleboro years ago that told me it was illegal to carry a Glock in Boston. Long story short I wouldn’t be surprised if this place thinks its the law to show ltc in every situation.

If that is the case and if he had any balls, he should have told them to go F**K THEMSELVES!! They have no jurisdiction once they crossed the state line. I actually think that the guy is full of shit.
Exactly. Their answer was to tuck it between their legs instead of taking it out and putting it on the table. F that noise.

Sounds like the type of shop I don't go to.
Why would you out them for something this stupid?

It is their damn business. Did they sell you a gun or not?

broc - these two statements seem a bit at odds with each other. A shop requiring this would preempt you from shopping there, and yet to you it's a stupid reason to out them, but you would be OK with wasting your time finding out which shop it is by the happenstance you walked through the door and went to handle a gun? And if others would rather know to avoid a particular shop that has FUDD / unnecessary capitulation rules ahead of time?

Last edited:
Your LTC could have been revoked between the last time they saw you and this time you are describing.

Makes sense they asked for your LTC.

Back
Top Bottom