Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

I made a handgun purchase at my LGS the other day, and while they were processing the transfer I went to let my friend handle the gun. Both employees behind the counter put out their hands as a stop command and said “we need to see his license first!” I’d swear there was a record scratch and the place went silent and everyone was starring at us.

I’ll show my license to handle a gun if asked, but this was annoying. It’s not a law, it’s a policy we’ve all learned to live with. What if I’m an out of state resident and would ship it to my FFL if I bought it? Still not allowed to handle it?

I wish shops would cut the shit with this. But their shop their rules I guess.
My guess is self protection mode .
I can only imagine what little it takes when MA.gov decided to terminate your license.

By the way, $549 for P365s with optic cuts, $249 for 500 rd case of Frontier M193…this place is way cheaper than NE gun shows, despite what the gunshow apologizers here say.

And unlike gun shows, the people that work at SS actually know WTF they’re talking about.

So yeah, I’ll continue to hype this shop, but reserve the right to bitch about a policy that they and 90% of MA gun shops adhere to.
Anyone who thinks gun shows are money saving events are delusional or buying stuff that is already cheap from the rip.
Gun shows should be for
Finding odd items
Bulk ammo purchase especially surplus crap
Other than that its a show to look at stuff

I’m not a lawyer, but…

Section 129C:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

Friend doesn’t have a license???

Out him/her!!! 😂
I have an LTC. What’s really effed up is I ordered some match ammo from them in Jan and bought a handgun from them in Dec. Not like I’m not in there regularly, at least once a month.
If the friend is a "her" we need pics to judge.
Holy crap this thread took a strange turn. Y’all going to be sorely disappointed. [rofl]

When I lived in Southcoast (made up bullshit term lol) this was my go to shop, but they were sticklers. Not the kind to tie wrap all the triggers and only cut if licensed but close. That was a metro west shitty store

By the by.
When you walk in a gun shop, do you demand to see THEIR license?
My response would have been, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
After all how do I know that they're legally selling? Hmmm?
We are required by law to display our license for everyone to see , FFL and state licenses must be posted visibly

I have an LTC. What’s really effed up is I ordered some match ammo from them in Jan and bought a handgun from them in Dec. Not like I’m not in there regularly, at least once a month.

Holy crap this thread took a strange turn. Y’all going to be sorely disappointed. [rofl]
I went to order the gun with you; I went to pick up the gun with another friend, which is when this happened.

When you and me walked in everyone yelled your name like you were Norm from Cheers.

In MA I can't blame them for having a CYA policy

In NH this never happens

But then there is the store in Hookset that wants to see ID to buy a hi capacity magazine because heaven forbid a MA resident who owns a home in NH and can legally own them might try to buy one.
If it's the shop I'm thinking about the owner himself has come onto NES to state that the Massachusetts State Police and the State of Massachusetts itself have both harassed him.

We are required by law to display our license for everyone to see , FFL and state licenses must be posted visibly
Visible where?
Right wall?
Left Wall?
Back wall?
Front door?
Cash register?
Where's Waldo?
Asking for a friend.

I don’t really have a problem outting them, they’re just one of the many shops that do this.

Shooting Supply in Westport. Great prices. Great people. Stupid policy.
They are a nice group of people and I’ve bought small things there but, I can’t bring myself to buy guns from them.
I have a hard time getting past their “you’re a pleb so we can’t sell you certain guns” policy.
Their call.

As someone who is waiting for their LTC this made me so nervous when I went into the gun store with a friend or when I took my Ltc course. Both places I went into though allowed me to see them and pick them up etc. it’s a huge help when deciding what to buy and because they allowed I’ll definitely give them my business when my LTC ever comes.

Visible where?
Right wall?
Left Wall?
Back wall?
Front door?
Cash register?
Where's Waldo?
Asking for a friend.
Just visible to everyone

Walk into any shop , it’s there somewhere

It’s also part of the state inspection and federal inspection , usually the first think they look for

I went to order the gun with you; I went to pick up the gun with another friend, which is when this happened.

When you and me walked in everyone yelled your name like you were Norm from Cheers.
Got it. Not sure if you remember, but I showed my LTC before handling the handgun after you the day you ordered it. That’s why I thought this was that day.

Last edited:
As far as I know staff doesn’t need a LTC , just a CORY check on file , they work under the state license

ATF does a background check on employees during audits
Not busting balls but questions should be asked on both sides.

Some shops have rules like this so they can turn away people who want to handle but cannot buy. The situation where the person is accompanied by an actual buyer, and there is no straw to be seen, are different but you run into either employees who have no authority to make exceptions (big box stores) or owners who perfer to hide behind their rule and pretend they have no choice because the prohibited themselves from making exeptions.

Last edited:
Not busting balls but questions should be asked on both
Didn’t think you were busting balls

But now that I think about it , I didn’t actually answer your question

No staff does not have to display , just the store licenses need to be displayed in a visible manner

Back
Top Bottom