Gun shop dilema

DickWanner

Banned
So I put a down payment on this gun the other day. The owner said he really hadn't checked it himself, but that it was being sent up from Texas. He said that I could put a downpayment on it and that he didn't know the price, but that 550 was a good price. So I put down 50 of the 550 and they said they'd call me when it came in. I get a call from them saying that it was in and that the total price was now 600 and I'd still owe them 550 to get it. It's still not a bad price, but i'm torn on whether to fight to make them stick to their original price that I put a down payment on and is on my reciept. Any suggestions?

I would consider that a contract. They gave you a price for a good which both of you agreed with, money exchanged hands, and you have the receipt to prove it. If they don't sell it to you for 550 have them give you your money back and don't buy it. That is a shady thing to do, give someone one price and agree on it then raise it afterwards.

Its on your receipt - make it clear thats what you intend on paying. If they will not match what they had originally agreed upon then you kindly ask for your deposit back. Please let us know how you make out and if they will not stick to the deal post the name so we can be aware.

Pay them what they want. The price might have been raised to cover shipping or somthing of that nature.

What's the shop? If it was someone I know or do a lot of business with, I'd pay the $600. If not, I'd walk.

If they will give you your $50.00 back I don't think there's much you can do. Buy it, don't buy it. I would ask them why they raised the price. I'm sure the price was set before it was shipped to them. Was it a calculation error or did they decide they could just increase their profit after seeing it? If the later is true I would take my $50.00 somewhere else in the future.

Pay them what they want. The price might have been raised to cover shipping or somthing of that nature.

absolutely NOT!

1. they made a mistake. They should know better.

2. If they wanted to get this sale going before the firearm arrived, then they should have done better research as to what to charge.

THis is hardly NWanner's fault, and he should not have to pay for their mistake/lack of research/bait and switch, etc.

If you didn't have a firm price agreed on (sounds like he was kind of iffy) you are probably going to have to either meet the new price or try to get your money back. You should try first to get him to honor the %550 estimate but there is not enough in your post to determine if this is a possibility or not.

I'd ask why it's now $600. There may be a good reason. Then decide if you want the gun bad enough to pay the extra.

If you follow strict contract law, and if there is a contract, getting the deposit back may not be enough. Imagine someone who paid a deposit on a "locked in" fuel oil price for a full winter's worth of delivery, and the vendor came up with "sorry, the price increased too much .... I'm giving back your deposit and calling it even."

My reaction would really depend on the relationship with the shop and/or it's reputation. If it was a place that did not try to opportunistically gouge the customers just because market conditions changed, I'd ask why and pay the $50 if it sounded reasonable. On the other hand, if all of their pre-Obama inventory of $139 lowers on the back shelf were now $199, I'd be more inclined to demand the agreed upon deal.

From your description of the conversation with the store, they did not know the exact price and were estimating. I think that your choices are to rescind (and get your deposit back) or affirm at the $600 price, which is within the reasonable range of their estimate.

I'd ask why the increase and try to talk them back to the $550. If they will not budge, it is time to weigh how much you want the firearm vs. how much you want to make a statement. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

From your story, it sounds like the 550 was just an estimate (you say he told you he didn't know the price). But you also mention a receipt showing the 550, and if that's really the case, i.e., if the 550 is shown as a firm price, then I think you've got a good argument. That said, unless you've got great powers of persuasion I think eventually your only choices are going to be to go with the 600 or take your down payment and walk.

Regardless of the situation, there should be absolutely no issue in getting your down payment back - even if the price change didn't enter into it, any sale should be subject to inspection of the actual gun, even if NIB.

Like I said i'm kinda in the middle.

#1. It is a hard to find gun, been looking for a year for one.

#2. 600 is a little high, but still not a bad price.

#3. He's the one who said he'd sell it to me when he didn't know all the details and set the price at 550. He seemed tentative about the price, but then decided to set one anyways.

#4. I have no clue about the specific models or features of this exact gun, it could have something special to or with it.

I'm just trying to get some ideas before I go in all guns-a-blazing.

I'd ask them why the increase. And if they're just being greedy... I'd take my deposit back on principle. But if they have a good reason... then $50 more for a gun that's already hard to find... is worth it.

If this Shop Owner values you as a customer then He/She should honor the original price quoted. Perhaps there was an extra shipping expense, perhaps there was another unforeseen issue....oh well, that's the cost of doing business.

In my opinion, tacking on an extra $50.00 after already taking your deposit for a particular item, at a particular price is unethical. It seems to me that given the recent election, the opportunity exists for some shop owners to take advantage of customers and even pray on their fears whether unfounded or not, by jacking up prices.

Sorry about the rant but it's the principle of the thing....The Guy at the gun shop has to put food on his table too, but local shop would never pull a stunt like that.

However...I would diplomatically remind them what you were originally quoted and ask them if they would honor that as that what you budgeted for. You may want to post about your experience to warn others as well.

Last edited:
It depends on the shop, your relationship with the owner, and how strongly you feel that he gave you a firm price.

If I went to my favorite shop and made a similar deal (without a strong price quote) and they told me it was going to be $600 instead of $550, I'd pay it. That's because I know and trust them, and in the past they've given me things at less than the quoted price because their costs ended up being lower than anticipated.

pricing

I wonder how a business would order goods without knowing price before hand.if you asked him to get you the a gun and he did whithout knowing the price your stuck as he ordered it for you,if he did not order it for you but had ordered the gun before hand you win.[rolleyes][grin]

receipt

you have a reciept with a balance of $500 for a gun. Does the reciept
indicate the mfgr. and model no. does it also indicate that the price
is an estimate and on reciept the final price will be determined.

what exactly does the reciept say....your description of this transaction
is to vague...

JimB

The sales slip says $550 and that's a binding contract especially after you gave him a deposit. End of story..$550 or get your deposit back and walk away.

If you buy a car and put a deposit on it for price "A" and then the dealer says oh the price has changed to price "A" plus "B" what would you do? Buy it for price "A", or get your deposit back and walk, or litigate. End of story. Those are the sellers only options as far as I'm concerned!

It's tough to give an answer on the info provided.

However, as has been stated, I would inquire as to why the price was increased and if you could get it for $550 as originally quoted.

If you really want it and don't think you'll be able to find another like it (as you mentioned it's rare), or it's a shop you frequent and like, I'd say go ahead and buy it either way.

In for more details.

I say that fifty bucks don't amount to squat, in the long run.
It doen't seem, from what you said, that the dealer is deliberately sticking it to you, if the agreement was somewhat tenative.
If you want it that bad and the final price is within reason, go for it.
The way that decent guns appreciate, the difference will soon be forgotten.

Jack

It's a Saiga-12 and I'm not sure of the specif model. The reciept just says "Saiga-12" on it. He said he didn't ask his supplier any details just told them to send the gun up when they said they had one. This is what he told me at least. I'd feel a little differently if he hadn't put the price down as $550 when he wasn't positive what it was. I'll see what the deal is tomorrow when I go to look at it, but I'll prolly end up paying the extra anyways.

Saiga 12'sa are almost impossible to get now, and I've heard that there may be restrictions on more getting imported. I talked to State Line about ordering one, he said he wouldn't know the final price till the backorder shipped to him, and he didn't know when or if his next backorder would ever get filled. They said that no matter what the price was, when they got the Saiga's in, no concerns about them selling quick...So I decided NOT to place a backorder, and placed an order with DPH ARms..they had them in stock for $589

Knowing the current market frenzy due to the election, My advice/opinion is take the Saiga and run...$50 looking back 4 years from now will seem like a good investment. YOu said you have been looking for one for a year...now you get one and leave it for $50....[thinking]

You had better scramble to get the 10 rd mags - DPH Arms still has some in stock...

Speaking as someone who has one, BUY THE SAIGA! It is by far one of the coolest guns in the world. I have run almost everything through mine (bird shot, 00 Buck, 000 Buck, hollow point slugs) it ate it all without a hitch. It's an AK and it's a 12 gauge, what else can be said, if they don't sell it to you somebody else will scoop it up. Does an extra $50 bucks suck? Yes, but knowing what I know, I'd buy it.

Sincerely,
Satan[devil2]

Speaking as someone who has one, BUY THE SAIGA! It is by far one of the coolest guns in the world. I have run almost everything through mine (bird shot, 00 Buck, 000 Buck, hollow point slugs) it ate it all without a hitch. It's an AK and it's a 12 gauge, what else can be said, if they don't sell it to you somebody else will scoop it up. Does an extra $50 bucks suck? Yes, but knowing what I know, I'd buy it.

Sincerely,
Satan[devil2]
Haha, that's what I was afraid of [crying]

Back
Top Bottom