• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun owners protest police action *UPDATE* LAWSUIT FILED

An excellent example of how the "in your face" approach to open carry can result in adverse consequences. Even if PA is not a "binding signage" state, this shows what can happen in such states - and the added publicity could result in either a ban on unlicensed open carry or passage of a binding signage law in PA.

In some cases a right not exercised is a right lost, but open carry would not appear to be one of them.
Rob, I realize that it's fun to say "I told you so", but please tell me - what is the difference between not being able to open carry because it's against the law and not being able to open carry because you're afraid to disturb the sheep?

In any case, we got your point. [rolleyes]

Welcome to NES, Rich and Ithaca1937. Very interesting reading on your boards; it's going to take me a while to read 100 pages of posts!! But it's good to know that folks in other states are fighting the good fight.

Welcome Rich and Ithaca1937 - this post echoes my thoughts as well.[grin]

An excellent example of how the "in your face" approach to open carry can result in adverse consequences. Even if PA is not a "binding signage" state, this shows what can happen in such states - and the added publicity could result in either a ban on unlicensed open carry or passage of a binding signage law in PA.

In some cases a right not exercised is a right lost, but open carry would not appear to be one of them.

A CCW license costs money. I don't expect to travel to PA, but say something comes up and I have to go there this Friday. PA says I have a right to arms for the defense of myself, so OC is my only option.

A law that required a license to OC would seem to violate that right. Perhaps if they made it free. Perhaps if they had locations at their borders where one could be obtained on entry. Otherwise, it seeems to me to be an undue burden.

And I know the signage issue brings up conflicting property rights. I suppose things might depend on PA's public access laws. There sure were many proprietors who felt that allowing African-Americans in their places would be dangerous. They were wrong. The right to defend oneself is quite fundemental, also.

Perhaps the solution is to fund billboards along the highway with a list of GFZs a/k/a "safe place for criminals" or "easy pickin's".

Last edited:
An interesting quote from a sigfile on the PA Firearms Owners Association board:

Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
I applaud the people who reinforce our rights by pushing the envelope with open carry, and lawful carry in places where the right is questioned, but they should know that it can come at a price. The civil rights marchers sometimes died, and often spent time in jail, but to them it was worth it, and they knew the potential cost. Being an activist is not a money-making proposition, but it has value. Just know the cost.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I don't open carry much, but I do believe in people such as Pa Patriot and others who open carry daily. I think people out there need to see that good people carry guns too.

<snip>
...In some cases a right not exercised is a right lost, but open carry would not appear to be one of them.
If we as gun owners; no carry, concealed carry, or open carry; don't stand up for gun rights then we lose as a whole community. If we stop because it frightens some people then we are opposing a ban upon ourselves. The frightened people get to remain in as state of ignorant bliss, with out ever knowing.

I'm still wading through that thread - on page 45 of at least 145 with no end in sight.

Wish we could get that kind of traction here in MA...

OpenCarry dinner, anyone? [devil]

A FFL Dealers, C&R, Manufacture or any other type of FFL does not in any way confer the right to carry openly or concealed to the holder. The ATF very plainly states this and you must comply with all of your State and Local laws. Rather silly that in Mass., you can pass a Federal Background check to sell firearms in a business in one town, yet live in a Red town and not be issued a permit in that town. Just another reason to love living here.

A FFL Dealers, C&R, Manufacture or any other type of FFL does not in any way confer the right to carry openly or concealed to the holder. The ATF very plainly states this and you must comply with all of your State and Local laws.
Apparently, that's not true in Pennsylvania.

When whoever it was called 911 and reported that there were people in the restaurant peacefully eating meals while carrying guns the response from 911 should have been, "What are they doing wrong?".

Wait. Didn't everyone just roast a dispatcher who FAILED to send assistance was contacted via 911? Would you expect the dispatcher to debate the validity of the call instead of dispatching the units? Maybe they can debate if that pain is truly a heart attack or just gas?

Let's get into the real world, shall we.

Wait. Didn't everyone just roast a dispatcher who FAILED to send assistance was contacted via 911? Would you expect the dispatcher to debate the validity of the call instead of dispatching the units? Maybe they can debate if that pain is truly a heart attack or just gas?

Let's get into the real world, shall we.

Why would the dispatcher not ask what they were doing? Wouldn't you react differently if they were, say, robbing the joint as opposed to getting some more meatloaf?

Do you really think the dispatcher is going to try and determine what's going on with individuals with firearms and determine on his/her own that nothing was going on and refuse to send the units? No way in he*l. They would be out the door in a day when the caller failed to see anyone respond. Dispatchers get the info and act. They don't decide that a call is bs except under very rigid circumstances.

I suspended a dispatcher a few years back because he determined that the smell of smoke in a senior citizen complex was "probably" due to a fire a few miles away and didn't act on it. The next day when a complaint came in from a relative that nothing was done about the smell of smoke I reviewed the audio tapes. Fortunately nothing was burning in the complex. If if had, he would have been gone and facing a slew of civil suits as would have we. Bottom line, they are going to play it safe and act.

A FFL Dealers, C&R, Manufacture or any other type of FFL does not in any way confer the right to carry openly or concealed to the holder. The ATF very plainly states this and you must comply with all of your State and Local laws. Rather silly that in Mass., you can pass a Federal Background check to sell firearms in a business in one town, yet live in a Red town and not be issued a permit in that town. Just another reason to love living here.

Some states make parts of their laws contingent upon existence of a Federal
License. For example, in MA, the only way a "civilian" can have a supressor, is if they have a federally issued manufacturing license.

While the ATF doesn't grant an FFL any kind of "carry powers" a given state
can do whatever it wants.

-Mike

The thing is, even if the dispatcher did ask, all the caller has to do is
lie/embellish to get the cops to come, which is probably what they did anyways.

For example... anyone think that the pants wetter in question calls the PD and
says "Uhh, yeah, there are 4 guys eating dinner here... they're all carrying
guns. They've been here for a half an hour... they seem to be minding their
own business, though."

No, the pansy is going to go "BWEAH! POLICE! HALP! there are 4 VARY SCAREY MEN! with GUNS! in the restauraunt! They look like they're going to knock over the place. OMGWTFBBQ what do we do??!?!?! come now hurrey!"

When you have one of these (Mary Hairnets, Kravitzes, etc) calling the police, the result is rarely good.

kravitz.jpg

Actually the police report states that the caller said the men weren't doing anything wrong but could see the guns on their sides. The report also goes on to say their were other reports of frighted people. The members of the PAFOA forum that were their say that the police report is full of errors and down right lies.

Here is the police report if you wish to read it.
http://scrantontimestribune.com/projects/policereport.pdf

And here is the tread on the PAFOA forum about it.
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/news-123/24068-dickson-city-police-report-shows-confusion-gun-dispute.html

Only if your departmental attorney was unfamiliar with Warren v. District of Columbia.

I'm not hanging my hat on that case in our instance. The Court of Appeals have already overturned and remanded cases back after being dismissed on Warren.

Juries do strange things and I've seen payout based on total BS. And our town is represented by fairly large firm of well over thirty attorneys who have my confidence (and the fact my attorney was hot)

Common sense would dictate that routinely blowing off calls because you are immune under Warren is not going to go that far.

The thing is, even if the dispatcher did ask, all the caller has to do is
lie/embellish to get the cops to come, which is probably what they did anyways

That is pretty much the assumption but can one afford to take a chance? Not really. That might work for a call of kids playing basketball in the street. Something involving firearms? No way.

They should fill the competition's restaurant with 100 gun owners every Saturday!

On a more serious note, I don't see any of the large chains being receptive. A smaller locally owned establishment would be open to those types of meetings.

More on the PA episode . . .

istockphoto_2663047_scales_of_justice.jpg
Posted by: normanvin
On: May 20th, 2008 05:50 AM

Posted on the times tribune web page.

Report shows confusion on gun dispute
BY CHARLES SCHILLINGER
STAFF WRITER

Police officers and prosecutors seemed either unfamiliar with the law or unprepared May 9 with how to handle a dozen customers at Old Country Buffet who were openly carrying guns, a Dickson City police report shows.

But Assistant District Attorney Corey Kolcharno said he and police handled the situation as best they could given that one customer had not fully cooperated with police.

That customer, Richard Banks, of Mountaintop, had his weapon confiscated for not carrying a concealed-weapons permit and was initially arrested for disorderly conduct and failure to carry a license for the weapon.

Mr. Kolcharno said that might have been avoided had he known Mr. Banks was a federal firearms dealer, exempt from carrying a license for a concealed gun. No charges were filed against Mr. Banks.

“It wasn’t a rash decision,” said Mr. Kolcharno, who initially approved charges. “We were cautious to protect the rights of both those openly carrying and those lawfully carrying a gun, but also the legitimate concern for those (at Old Country Buffet).”

‘Mistakes’ alleged

An attorney representing Mr. Banks said law enforcement made “major mistakes” throughout the entire incident at the Dickson City restaurant.

What attorney Brian Collins said he read in the report was police officers rounding up and grouping together customers. And members of the group — later referred to on gun-rights Web sites as the “Dickson Dozen” — were then asked to provide either concealed-weapons permits or, for those just openly carrying, identification.

“It sounds like a bad ‘Hogan’s Heroes’ episode,” said Mr. Collins, of Allentown.

Dickson City police officers Karen Gallagher and Anthony Mariano responded to the restaurant at 6:30 p.m. and talked with several customers who said they were frightened by customers who were openly armed. Police later followed up with witnesses, the report noted. One witness reported that one member of the group, when he noticed someone glancing at him, said: “Don’t worry, honey, you are in the safest place in Dickson City right now.”

When police entered the restaurant, the report indicates the officers asked those with guns to step outside — including one man who had a handgun holstered at his side as he sat at a table feeding his baby.

Taking numbers

After establishing identification for all except Mr. Banks, police took their guns and wrote down serial numbers at the request of Police Chief William Stadnitski.

Mr. Banks was the only one of the group who refused to provide police with any official identification, although he said he was carrying a concealed weapon. The incident report indicated he was willing to verbally identify himself.

Police said they found Mr. Banks’ concealed 9mm “was not registered.” The report said Mr. Kolcharno advised police to “take the weapon due to it not being registered.”

Mr. Collins claims police should not have confiscated Mr. Banks’ weapon.

“The misnomer is a firearm must be ‘registered’ in your name in Pennsylvania. It’s a misstatement of the law. There is no firearm registry in Pennsylvania,” Mr. Collins said.

Although there is no gun registration system in the state, police can verify information about the gun through a state police database of gun sales and other databases, such as one for concealed-weapons licenses.

Mr. Kolcharno said officers told him the gun was not in a concealed-weapons license database. And he said that when he told police to confiscate the weapon, they had not yet learned Mr. Banks was a federal firearms dealer.

“I concur with that,” he said about there being no gun registry in Pennsylvania. “But licensure (for a concealed gun) — that is a whole different realm.”

He added he was not on the scene and could only operate with the information officers were giving him.

“I felt at that point, looking at the case law and consulting with other attorneys, that they should confiscate the weapon,” Mr. Kolcharno said.

Mr. Collins said Mr. Banks has not been given his gun back. Police have said he can pick it up at any time. Mr. Banks had told police he would file a lawsuit if his weapon was taken, according to the report, but Mr. Collins said he couldn’t comment on whether that will happen.

Although Mr. Kolcharno said another matter had been resolved amicably, Mr. Collins said police mishandled another of the Dickson Dozen, Roger McCarren, when, according to the police report, they found his gun was “registered” to his wife, Darcie McCarren.

The report indicates Mrs. McCarren said she gave the gun to him as a gift, but police would turn the gun over only to her. Mrs. McCarren accepted the gun, and the dispute ended there, the report indicated.

Jon Mirowitz, a state gun-law lecturer with the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the legal education arm of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, also said there is no registration. And he added that guns may be given as gifts between spouses, children and grandchildren.

“I don’t know what police are looking at, but it’s not registration,” Mr. Mirowitz said about the police report citing gun registration. “They (police) may not know what they’re looking at either.”

Mr. Collins argued the police had no reason to compel anyone in the group at the restaurant to give either identification or concealed-weapons permits, because no law requires it.

“To my knowledge, it’s not illegal to feed your baby ... and that’s not suspicious, either,” he said.

He said there is no problem with police investigating a complaint.

“But these people were orderly. They weren’t holding people up. Some people provided identification. Mr. Banks, knowing the law, didn’t,” Mr. Collins said. “Police detained him nonetheless ... and had him for an hour in a police car in front of his family. That was a major mistake.”

Contact the writer: [email protected]

It makes me wonder just how many laws are on Massachusetts' books right now which exempt LEO's from the laws which the rest of us have to live by. I wonder if these exemptions were to be pulled, what LEO's would think of our current legal system, and how much support they would give politicians when they want to put blue uniforms up behind them on a stage. I think we know the answers to some of these, but the sheer number would be interesting.

Dickson City Open-Carry Incident Videos, etc. . . .

Some videos and radio segments . . .

From a post by, "lildobe" on Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Associatiion:

WBRE: Gun Rights Violated Date: 05/20/2008

PennsyPlinker on Alex Jones Show 5-20-08

WYOU Gun Rights in Dickson City Date: 05/20/2008

Times Tribune Interview with PennsyPlinker and
Video from the Dickson City Counsil Meeting
Date: 05/20/2008

WNEP-TV OC In Dickson City - News Broadcast Date: 05/22/2008

http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Guns/media/DicksonCity/

They're only seeking $200,000 dollars????? WTF????

It should be $200,000,000 and the demand that both deputies be fired, fined and imprisoned and the original caller that brought them to the establishment should be imprisoned for making a false report to police and for violating the rights of another citizen.

Back
Top Bottom