• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun jam?

blindndead

NES Member
When I get my first firearm and head off to the range. What If I get a real nasty jam? Is it a good Idea to have a handy tool kit with you to breakdown your firearm if needed if you get a jam? I cant see someone not clearing a jam and puting there gun back in there car. Has any one here not been able to clear a jam or didnt bring the right tools to the range to do so?

You won't need a tool kit in most cases to clear a jam. Your range may also have rules in place about proper procedures to cease-fire on the firing line in case you do have a jam that's so serious you might need tools.

Re: tools - I always bring a multi-tool, an allen wrench set, and a sight adjustment tool. Bushing wrench too if I'm shooting a 1911. Really only ever used the allen wrenchs and sight tool and only for adjustments, not jams.

It really depends on what type of firearm you plan on shooting. I used to have a Walther P22 that was very finiky. About 1 out of every 5 rounds I'd get a failure to eject, until I found which ammunition worked best in it. A small cleaning rod really came in handy then. I also usually bring sight adjusting tools with me. Most ranges will help you out once or twice in a jam, but if you have a firearm that jams up more then that they may deem it unsafe and tell you to stop firing it until you bring it to a good gunsmith.

My range box has an allen set and a few screwdrivers in it.

Be careful about breaking down a firearm to clear a jam. Even if you take out the trigger assembly or bolt or whatever, that SOB is still loaded.

You're right it would not be good to take a firearm back home that had a live round jammed in it, I had a lever action which jammed up pretty well, but the cartridge wasn't seated in the chamber, it just got wedged in the loading mechanism someplace. Luckily I had a screwdriver with me to take the lever out (note to self, don't use .38 specials in the Marlin 1894C, even if they say it feeds them OK).

As someone said, if its unfired and stuck in the firing chamber, it is effectively loaded.

I've never had a squib load jam a bullet in the barrel, so I'm not sure what I would do in that case. I always bring a cleaning rod with me, so I might try tapping it out, but if it didn't come easily, I would take it to a gunsmith.

If a case jams *after* it's been fired, and the bullet is not in the barrel, then you can feel comfortable whacking things a little harder to get it free. Unload any live rounds first, obviously.

Last edited:
Most semi-autos won't jam if you use a good stiff hold. Many such autos jam primarily due to the shock absorbing effect of a limp wrist. Intimidate the gun and you won't have any trouble.

I don't carry any cleaning/repair equipment to the range although I do have a set of screwdrivers and random tool stuff in my car as anyone should. Not worried about either revolver jamming and if the Sigma or G22 had a FTE that wouldn't clear I can just remove the slide assembly and then the barrel.

I have an Arredondo squib clearing rod... its made out of G10 or something
like that. It didn't cost me much and it will usually clear all but the most
stubborn squibs from centerfire pistols. The irony is I -never- have to
use it because I don't shoot reloads, but I have it with me because
invariably there is someone else that always needs it because they don't
know how to reload ammo properly. (I'm not bashing reloading here
by any means... I've been at the range with plenty of other reloaders
who have -never- had a squib or stuck case.... because they bother to
do a little QC and don't use junk equipment. )

I typically don't bring any tools other than that, although sometimes hex
keys and a flat head screwdriver are good if you have grips or other parts
that tend to loosen themselves. I'll probably have a small bag of tools though
in the future. I -ALWAYS- have a can of break-free CLP with
me. (I keep it in my car.) while I don't use it as a normal everyday lube, it
is a GREAT field expedient if you run into dry guns while at the range.

The best idea with jams is to not get there to begin with. Stay
away from crap reloads, etc. And if you do reload, check the brass
for viability, rim problems, primer seating (run your finger over the end of
the brass) and it also helps to case guage them as well. (it
only takes like a second or two for every round, if you go fast.) If
the rounds gauge out, you won't have any of the dreaded "live round
thats stuck halfway in the chamber" BS.

-Mike

I've been shooting for over 30 years and never used a tool or broken a weapon down to clear a jam.
I've used a dowel to back out a squib from the barrel of a S&W Model 19. I've used the same dowel to clear several squibs out of a 1911. Of course, those were my own botched reloads, so I've got only myself to blame...

I've used my boot to clear a FAL by kicking the operating rod -- the empty cartridge case was not kicked clear of the dust cover, so it jammed between the dust cover and the bolt carrier. Had to do that twice.

And on a couple of occasions I've had to take down my inline muzzle loader to clear a misfire.

Back
Top Bottom