• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun "Buybacks"

Well, the LTC holder/FFL is fine. 🤣 the unlawful possessor is another ballgame.... but in practice, the machine isn't usually going to chase someone who "tried to do the right thing". But that doesn't mean anything legally.

Right, but if the unlawful possessor doesn't actually possess anything (having handed it to the LTC/FFL holder), what's the charge?

If the cops claim they saw an unlicensed person holding a gun and charge, gun buybacks are dead. And, given that it's legal for an unlicensed person to hold a gun if under the supervision of a licensed person, (like a gun range) then... how far back in time are they going to go to make the charge stick? "you must have driven here with it!" Unless they actually see the person driving with it, how would they prove it?

$25 - $200 for each gun.

Marsha says a AR15 stripped lower is an "Assault Weapon". Read her "FAQ".

Can I submit an AR15 stripped lower and get $200???

EDIT:

Boston Gun Buyback has the rules for theirs...

Must be a working gun to get their $100.

Last edited:
Right, but if the unlawful possessor doesn't actually possess anything (having handed it to the LTC/FFL holder), what's the charge?

If the cops claim they saw an unlicensed person holding a gun and charge, gun buybacks are dead. And, given that it's legal for an unlicensed person to hold a gun if under the supervision of a licensed person, (like a gun range) then... how far back in time are they going to go to make the charge stick? "you must have driven here with it!" Unless they actually see the person driving with it, how would they prove it?

First of all the context isn’t a buyback. We already established that. Second there’s still a gap/risk there, whether you want to acknowledge it or not is another story. 🤣. There’s about 900 odd scenarios where an unwashed could easily talk themselves into a charge based on otherwise innocuous conduct.

it’s kind of easy to whack them with an unlawful possession charge when grandma stops at a grocery store and some guy breaks into her car and steals a gun…. you know the one she’s been lugging around for two weeks because every time she goes to the local gun shop is closed for some reason….. then she reports this to the cops…. yes, the cops would have to be dicks for prosecuting her, but my point is that the legal liability there still exists, and she is not immunized from it if she does not surrender her guns to the cops, or did not have an intention to do so, and people running their mouth in front of police will basically roll down the welcome mat for the charges. That’s not the best example but it doesn’t take much to produce others.

ETA: this is the same state where people can be charged for unsafe storage while cleaning a gun and having an aneurysm at the same time…. once you’ve recognized that insanity, then you quickly realize the # of vectors to people unknowingly committing crimes is not a small number, particularly not with firearms.

Someone needs to start a charity "Guns for the poor", a legit charity so donating guns get a tax deduction. Just like other charities they can inflate the value of donated items, your $200 Taurus gets you a $400 tax deduction. And some poor unfortunate gets a gun. Everybody wins.

Someone needs to start a charity "Guns for the poor", a legit charity so donating guns get a tax deduction. Just like other charities they can inflate the value of donated items, your $200 Taurus gets you a $400 tax deduction. And some poor unfortunate gets a gun. Everybody wins.

Meh, who itemizes deductions now anyway?

Looks like the losers in Worcester county are doing one:

View: https://twitter.com/worcesterda/status/1732082548736417842

Looks like you have a sheet metal place doing the destruction:

I could not think of a more appropriate name when saying it with a Chinese accent

“Receive Grocery Gift Cards for Each Operable Gun“ ?
Is this a live fire buyback??? That would be interesting…..

I love gun buybacks. As an FFL who buys estates and collections I always end up with junk guns. Rusty, broken or so old nobody wants them. They sit on a gunshow table for $25 as parts and still don’t sell. so it is off to the buyback for $50 to $100. As an FFL it would be irresponsible to turn my back on the chance to get rid of my junk with documentation from the police and get paid for it. As a business owner it would be a bad business decision to turn my back on that profit center. I normally walk away from a buyback with between $500 and $1000. Normally in grocery gift cards. I then trade them in online for Amazon cards where I can buy what the business needs, unlike groceries. In addition I normally walk away with a gun or two from the crowd and by passing out cards I can get more later.

As a gun owner it is my pleasure to take the money from those who would harm our hobby.

I'm not going to comment on your decision as it's your decision. I do hope that you have a sturdy sh*t proof umbrella though. ;)

I love gun buybacks. As an FFL who buys estates and collections I always end up with junk guns. Rusty, broken or so old nobody wants them. They sit on a gunshow table for $25 as parts and still don’t sell. so it is off to the buyback for $50 to $100. As an FFL it would be irresponsible to turn my back on the chance to get rid of my junk with documentation from the police and get paid for it. As a business owner it would be a bad business decision to turn my back on that profit center. I normally walk away from a buyback with between $500 and $1000. Normally in grocery gift cards. I then trade them in online for Amazon cards where I can buy what the business needs, unlike groceries. In addition I normally walk away with a gun or two from the crowd and by passing out cards I can get more later.

As a gun owner it is my pleasure to take the money from those who would harm our hobby.

Read post #1 in this thread. It's not a rule, but I'd suggest that it is a consensus of the feelings of the management and members on the topic. I had a POS shotgun that I overpaid for before realizing that it was a POS. I was going to try to restore it, but it's so old that there are few parts available for it. I considered bringing it a gun buyback and getting a gift card, but instead sold it at a loss to a member here. I clearly listed it as a "wall hanger" and suggested that it might not be safe to shoot.

I sold it for $25.00 less than I could have got at a gun buy back, but to me the principle was more important than the money.

I understand that you're in the business and need to show a profit to stay in business. Do as you see fit, but OTOH if I had turned my POS shotgun in at a "buy back" I wouldn't have posted about it here.

Again, I'm not making a judgement on how you do your business, but that doesn't mean that others won't.

I don’t understand you reference to sturdy umbrella

So I am not allowed to have an opinion of my own. Am I supposed to just go along with what others think without a free thought of my own? In the world of propaganda that is called getting on the bandwagon or following the crowd. In the life of a lemming that would end at the cliff. In a world of free thought and free speech I am allowed to have my own opinion and speak my piece. Perhaps others also think like me but don't bother to opine. Want to guess why? They say they use these events against us by showing tables full of guns turned in. Well guess what. They will be doing that anyway. Even if nobody turned anything in they would have the same press conference with the table full of guns. They even use a few of the same guns sprinkled into several different buyback press photos. Funny thing is you never see any junk guns do you. If you ever went to a buyback you would see 90% of what they buyback is junk.

Now just to be clear. I don't give a rats a** what you do with your junk guns. Loosing $25.00 on a gun deal does not make you a martyr, but I am happy you sleep well and have nothing to be ashamed of.

You actually say you are not making any judgments, but clearly you are. Even in high school I did not care what others thought of me. Pushing the popularity button like that is another cheap propaganda ploy. I am no longer in business but I still have a lot of stuff to sell. If you don't want to buy any of my stuff I also don't care.

Have we gotten to the point where they are giving away $500 for a 9mm? wake me when tha happens as I am going to cash in my 401k, buy as many pallets of hi-points as I can get (hoping for volume discount of $100/unit at qty over 1000, and then sell them to the state For $500 a pop. When they go to destroy them by melting them, I am going to sic the Sierra club on them for burning plastics while sitting at my beach villa overlooking the ocean in Florida.
The first CT buyback was a state wide even. Assault weapons were worth several hundred dollars (I forget exactly) to the state. It was a free for all when a few people realized that a $75.00 SKS was on the assault weapons list. They must has gotten a thousand of them before the state shut that down.
There was a buyback in Hartford CT 2014(ish) where they offered $400 for assault weapons. I had 3 AR lowers that were out of spec. They could not be used. I paid $75 each and dumped them on Hartford for $1200.00. One of my customers got stuck with a 10 plastic AR lowers (got screwed on a group buy) after our 2013 assault weapon ban. Guess where they went. He walked away with 4K.

This is one of my powerball pipe dreams actually. Buy used serviceable guns on the cheap. Clean them up and test fire them. Set up a website with an application. Once approved they can pay the reduced cost and it ships to a local FFL.

I was just trying to explain what you can expect from some people here since you are new. Apparently that makes me an a**h*** in your view.

Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you. Maybe you can tell us the name of your shop, so we know who we are dealing with.

So I am not allowed to have an opinion of my own. Am I supposed to just go along with what others think without a free thought of my own? In the world of propaganda that is called getting on the bandwagon or following the crowd. In the life of a lemming that would end at the cliff. In a world of free thought and free speech I am allowed to have my own opinion and speak my piece. Perhaps others also think like me but don't bother to opine. Want to guess why? They say they use these events against us by showing tables full of guns turned in. Well guess what. They will be doing that anyway. Even if nobody turned anything in they would have the same press conference with the table full of guns. They even use a few of the same guns sprinkled into several different buyback press photos. Funny thing is you never see any junk guns do you. If you ever went to a buyback you would see 90% of what they buyback is junk.

Now just to be clear. I don't give a rats a** what you do with your junk guns. Loosing $25.00 on a gun deal does not make you a martyr, but I am happy you sleep well and have nothing to be ashamed of.

You actually say you are not making any judgments, but clearly you are. Even in high school I did not care what others thought of me. Pushing the popularity button like that is another cheap propaganda ploy. I am no longer in business but I still have a lot of stuff to sell. If you don't want to buy any of my stuff I also don't care.

Why don’t they ever have magazine buybacks? Seems like anti-gunners hate those as much as the guns themselves

Why don’t they ever have magazine buybacks? Seems like anti-gunners hate those as much as the guns themselves
I concur. Futhermore, that would be very simple to hack. No serial numbers so just take some plastic tubing, coil springs, jury-rig followers and base plates and make out like a bandit. You could get a few street denizens on Melnea Cass assembling them and quickly amass a nice supply. Pretty lucretive operation.

View: https://youtu.be/-8zcArNybak?si=4WCOVRkx6RG_dZ0F

I concur. Furthermore, that would be very simple to hack.
Oh, they are coming someday. Just a matter of time unless SCOTUS decides to step in and end the "ban everything ga-ga-ga-guns" insanity. 🤔

I was just trying to explain what you can expect from some people here since you are new. Apparently that makes me an a**h*** in your view.

Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you. Maybe you can tell us the name of your shop, so we know who we are dealing with.
You must have missed where I said the business is closed. I use my real name so there is no question of who I am. I have never hidden behind an internet handle. Just hit google. There you can find anything you want about me.

I expected a group of people who would Respect another’s opinions. Who would respect others right to expressing those opinions.

You must have missed where I said the business is closed. I use my real name so there is no question of who I am. I have never hidden behind an internet handle. Just hit google. There you can find anything you want about me.

I expected a group of people who would Respect another’s opinions. Who would respect others right to expressing those opinions.
Just like life, there is a wide spectrum of "respect" on NES. Some will agree, others disagree respectfully, other will be "less" respectful. The subject doesn't matter, you will see all kinds.

Just like life, there is a wide spectrum of "respect" on NES. Some will agree, others disagree respectfully, other will be "less" respectful. The subject doesn't matter, you will see all kinds.
This is to answer your question “Are you a Turtle?”. You be your sweet a** I am!

This is to answer your question “Are you a Turtle?”. You be your sweet a** I am!
You're the first to catch that.
I don't know if Turtles are underrepresented or I'm owed a lot of drinks. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom