Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to be moving from Cape to Boston by summer time and am looking for a good town to move to because I don't want to have issues when renewing my LTC. Currently I have an unrestricted class A and want to keep it unrestricted.My license is good till the end of 2015 but I'm just thinking ahead..Any suggestions>>>>

If you are over 25, give Quincy a thought. Or go to Arlington, Melrose, Everett......I am sure there are more.

I forgot to post after I recieved my LTC. I am from Bridgewater and it took about 5 weeks to hear from the sgt. and have the interview which was very casual he is a real good guy. after about 4 months (mostly due to my error on the app.) I received a LTC no restriction and the sgt. said this is how the new chief is doing the LTC. if you want a class A you get a class A.

Applied in Reading, MA - Red Town (41 years old, first license, applied for LTC Class A).

First, looks like they only process on Tuesdays, so dropped off my application on September 13th and got a call back. Returned call and left a message, got another call back exactly one week later, returned call and left message, again, got a call back one week later, which I was able to take at the time. So 2 weeks of phone tag to start, then next appointment for interview was 4 weeks out (looks like they only do interviews one week a month as I called a few days before my interview and was easily able to move the time that day, most slots were still open). I was also required to have 3 letters of recommendation with me for the interview. At the interview I was informed that they only issues restricted Class A to first timers and would be restricted to Hunting and Sport no exceptions. Still waiting - 6 weeks on Tuesday, they told me 8-10 weeks and not to call before then looking for it. I wil find out when I pick it up if they remove restrictions and what the requirements are if they do.

One of my friends dropped the same day in Winchester MA, had a license in his hands in 3 weeks and 3 days from dropping his license - before I even had an interview! LTC Class A no restrictions!

LTC came in the mail today - 7 weeks 2 days from interview, roughly 12 weeks from submission of application - restricted to Hunting and Target as was indicated in the interview that I was informed is standard in Reading for first timers, so Red is still accurate.

I think that they are missing the Animal Control Officer and the Parking Clerk on that form! [angry] [rolleyes]

Len, It's Rowley, there is no Parking Clerk or Parking Meters for that matter. Most mornings I see Animal Control Officer Wilson @ the Agawam Diner, usually we talk about guns, a deer that got hit or a dog that got loose but I'll ask him why he's not on that form .... on second thought, maybe I won't [rolleyes] .

Needham is still green. Just got the call that my license was ready to be picked up. Needham PD was very professional to deal with. It's been 8 weeks and 5 days. LTC-A, restrictions: None.

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but this thing looks like a library card.

Does anyone live in Randolph? If so, how long did it take to get your LTC no restrictions license from date of application? I was told 4-6 weeks but people are posting alot of variations from 2 weeks to almost 12 weeks. What is the average around this time of year?

Northampton , MA Very Green

I just received my Renewal, 5 weeks. I have had a Class A Unrestricted for years. No surprise on that. My wife who finally got her permit for the first time was issued a Class A with no restrictions in the same 5 weeks.

My LTC is valid for a full 6 years, they made the date of issue my birthday in Jan 2012, so I'm good til 2018!

While I was there, they also did a finger print card for me for my FL application, when I went to give them my $10 print fee, officer looked at me funny and said no need for that!

Northampton has a reputation for being Liberal, but the Police Dept. is nothing but completely professional and very friendly to deal with.

I turned in my paperwork to the Dedham PD last week. Filled out the mandatory paperwork, met with a clerk/admin type, reviewed paperwork, fingerprints & picture, payed $100.00, and have appointment with Chief in approx. 2 weeks. Was told the whole process takes 4-6 weeks.

Had my meeting with the Chief at the beginning of the week. It went well, he just asked a few questions about gun storage and my military service. I applied for an unrestricted class A . He said everything looked good and I should receive my license in approx. 2 weeks.

Waltham- Dropped off application November 7th, interview December 6th. I dont think the LO even looked at the required three letters till I came in. He was very nice but told me the Chief would only be giving target and hunting restricted for first time app. He said wait should be 25-45 days. He said they would call but i may drop by soon to check.

Had my meeting with the Chief at the beginning of the week. It went well, he just asked a few questions about gun storage and my military service. I applied for an unrestricted class A . He said everything looked good and I should receive my license in approx. 2 weeks.

Interested to see what you get in Dedham. Did he indicate one way or another whether it would be restricted?

Interested to see what you get in Dedham. Did he indicate one way or another whether it would be restricted?

No, didn't say one way or the other. He read parts of my application and formal letter out loud while he was going over it and one of the items he noted was the request for an unrestricted class A. At the end he said it all looks good. I got the feeling he had no problem with the unrestricted part. As a Chief, I cant imagine him paying me lip service by telling me it all looks good and no problems, then giving me a restricted, class B. But, I guess I will find out shortly.

Last edited:
My girlfriend just got her renewal in Framingham with no restrictions. Her previous license was also not restricted. At the very least it doesn't seem like they are downgrading licenses.

My girlfriend just got her renewal in Framingham with no restrictions. Her previous license was also not restricted. At the very least it doesn't seem like they are downgrading licenses.

Now that just ain't right. If one person gets restricted licenses then everyone should get restricted licenses. Also, it ain't right for the next town over to issue unrestricted licenses if your town issues restricted. Just 'cause you live in a green town you shouldn't be treated any better that a Framinghammer. Jus' sayin' [shocked][thinking][wink]

Hey everyone...I'm new here and just started to get into researching on this forum so I decided to sign up! I'm currently in Lowell and as everyone is aware its a RED town. Its a long shot but just checking if anyone applied recently or had any luck with a unrestricted LTC-A. I'm going to MFS on the 22nd and was thinking of holding out for a year to apply for my LTC-A ALP; at least til I move out of Lowell to a GREEN town.

Hey everyone...I'm new here and just started to get into researching on this forum so I decided to sign up! I'm currently in Lowell and as everyone is aware its a RED town. Its a long shot but just checking if anyone applied recently or had any luck with a unrestricted LTC-A. I'm going to MFS on the 22nd and was thinking of holding out for a year to apply for my LTC-A ALP; at least til I move out of Lowell to a GREEN town.

Lowell is as red as they get, unfortunately. They just dont give out ALP. If I were you, I would wait until you move.

The good news for Lowell, is this post:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...en-quot-town?p=2179395&viewfull=1#post2179395

I see Malden already listed as green, but just thought I'd do my bit and check in to say that I got my unrestricted LTC-A in Malden this summer. It took three and a half weeks between submitting my application and receiving the license in the mail at my home. I was a first-time applicant. The less than convenient limited application hours made it difficult and getting three friends to sign letters attesting to my character was a nuisance, but all things considered it went a lot smoother than I've heard it can be for a lot of folks.

I have heard anecdotal information that Cambridge has loosened up considerably. A fellow at the range stated his daughter had no issues getting a class A LTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom