Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.

What happened to/in Arlington ?

why is it red on the first page when all I've read is people suggesting its the closest thing to Boston thats green ?

have something changed in the town recently ?
[thinking]

You must have done a search on it. When you do a search, the key word becomes highlighted in red.

I just renewed my unrestricted LTC in Edgartown and,true to their character of how a small town police department SHOULD run,it took all of a friendly 10 minutes to complete the process.I'm not sure whether it will say it on my new license or not but the reason for issuing entered was for "protection of person and property".It's rediculous that the next town over requires pleading for a restricted to target Class A but that would be MA for you.

I still to this day do not understand that reasoning "first B, then A". So to them a 10round handgun is more dangerous than a 30round AR15? or a 6-round .357revolver? Where's the logic?

Of course it's more dangerous.

The line of thinking that " I trust this citizen to have a handgun,but only one that holds 9 rounds...and I don't trust him to do anything but shoot paper at the range with it...because I don't trust him enough to not go about armed and looking for a fight..." is what gets me.Supposedly there are quite a few departments that will issue a B and then "upgrade" to an A ALP on renewal,providing the person has kept they criminal scumbag tendancies in check for a few years.Yep,there are many violent criminals out there who like to think in long term plans...sheesh.

Yep, I agree with what you guys are saying...
It certainly felt to me that they "wanted to see how I did with "it" for awhile," before giving me the A.

ace57

Received my LTC-A Restrictions: None today in Marlblrough, MA after waiting exactly 4 weeks. No questions or problems what so ever during the whole process. The only unfortunate thing is that there is a typo on my card, so I am not sure if I can actually (safely) USE the thing yet!

~Droid

sure you can, I have a typo too and still bought a g19 whats you 1st buy gonna be?

I called the Sgt in charge of licensing and let him know about the typo, so hopefully he calls me back and says it isn't a issue or can get me a corrected card soon. My first will be a FTF transfer of a Ruger Mark II bbl from a friend of mine. Then I have to go to Four Seasons and buy a crapload of accessories, ammo, and all that other stuff I don't yet have. Right now my list of "stuff" is about twice what I will be paying for the Mk II...

~Droid

Anyone have any RECENT experience in Georgetown? Mine is due in 2 months. I went down and picked up a package today. Under requirements for a Class A:

"3. Obtain a letter from their employer stating the reasons they wouldneed to carry a weapon for work-related purposes. If self-employed, a letter on their letter head describing the reason that the carrying of a firearm is necessary. If the reason for the need to carry were not of a work-related nature, a letter explaining the need would have to be submitted."

We have a new Chief since I last renewed. I haven't heard of anyone having problems, but this has my stomach in a knot. Anyone have any recent experiences?

Went down and picked it up today. LTC A with NO restrictions. Georgetown is still GREEN [party][party]

Cambridge is red. Got my Class A LTC restricted to "target and hunting sports" (didn't even ask for ALP...)

Took only three weeks, didn't need any letters or recommendation (but I submitted two). I also submitted proof of membership in a pistol club, but I don't know if this is required.

Pretty easy. I had to provide three letters of reference, and it took 2 months, but otherwise good. I was fingerprinted the day I dropped off my application packet, and that was it.

This is their own requirement and has no validity under state law - you might want to post this in Scrivener's thread in legal and let him know. As well as telling GOAL (who's the Executive Director of GOAL).

Agawam, received ltc-a alp, I just put 2 references in the references section of application, reasons for applying were All lawful purposes and qualification practice, fingerprinted when i dropped off packet

Not sure if this would qualify them as green or red, but just to provide my insight, I originally got my 1st "limited" LTC in Boston. Now, I've just gone through my 3rd renewal living in Chelsea. Since my 2nd renewal, I've been issued an ALP class A without any problems. In fact, I didn't even ask for it. The detective just gave it to me, which was quite a pleasant surprise considering I wrote down "for target shooting and home defense". Also, I didn't have to provide any letters of reference other than something stating that I belonged to a club. I did have to provide two names on the request form, but I think this is normal.

Last edited:
Not sure if this would qualify them as green or red, but just to provide my insight, I originally got my 1st "limited" LTC in Boston. Now, I've just gone through my 3rd renewal living in Chelsea. Since my 2nd renewal, I've been issued an ALP class A without any problems. In fact, I didn't even ask for it. The detective just gave it to me, which was quite a pleasant surprise considering I wrote down "for target shooting and home defense".

I'm gonna keep them as Red for now, unless some others have some positive stories as well. I have heard horror stories about them in the past. This could be a good sign. Thanks for the info.

I live in Millville. We finally got a new chief ( I say finally for reasons unrelated to permits) our issuing leo passed away shortly after my last renewal which is A ALP and good till 2011. New chief is an improvement, can't help on the permit issue now.

About 10 min from Ptown.

There was a brutal murder in Truro back in the early seventies, I think. Involved dismemberment and burial of body parts at various locations. I was living in SE Mass at the time and remember some discussion about it. Back then it was considered a "shocking crime".

About 10 min from Ptown.
That explains why I dont know about it.[wink]

There was a brutal murder in Truro back in the early seventies, I think. Involved dismemberment and burial of body parts at various locations. I was living in SE Mass at the time and remember some discussion about it. Back then it was considered a "shocking crime".

[shocked], That's some messed up stuff. Did they catch the guy?

[shocked], That's some messed up stuff. Did they catch the guy?

[INVOKING GOOGLE-FU]

Yuh, they did:

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/i...y_in_cape_history_tony_costa_arraign?blog=161

And THEN there was this gruesome crime:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/christa_worthington/index.html

[shocked]

I was a little kid eating linguica pizza at the Cape Cod Cafe in Brockton when the earlier Truro crimes were being discussed. It wasn't very long after the Boston Strangler murders, also in the local area. No wonder I always wanted a gun ....

As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Any tips on applying for a LTC-Class A unrestricted in Norwood? Does anybody have specific information about the Norwood Police/procedures/process that hasn't already been posted? (I've read the 74 pages of postings thus far) Thanks

Any tips on applying for a LTC-Class A unrestricted in Norwood? Does anybody have specific information about the Norwood Police/procedures/process that hasn't already been posted? (I've read the 74 pages of postings thus far) Thanks

from what I understand, you are pretty much effed if you want ALP.

Does anyone know where West Roxbury falls into all this? I own two houses and have been thinking of changing my home of record because the auto insurance rates are so significantly cheaper. Thanks, Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom