Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend in Medfield took just over 4 months from submission to approval for LTC. Ouch, that's a long time. Was quoted 8 weeks...

I know the feeling...i was also quoted 8 weeks in also a green town (norton) and am at 12 weeks. I called and left a voicemail with the LO (lieutenant) on two separate occasions with no call back! Dcjis/frb says it's still awaiting the LO's approval.

I know the feeling...i was also quoted 8 weeks in also a green town (norton) and am at 12 weeks. I called and left a voicemail with the LO (lieutenant) on two separate occasions with no call back! Dcjis/frb says it's still awaiting the LO's approval.
It took exactly seven months for mine in Norton.

It took exactly seven months for mine in Norton.

That is so wrong. Were you also told 8 weeks? Having gone through the process would you recommend anything for me to do? I just don't want to make the LO feel bullied etc and make me wait longer! Did you call or stop in the pd to talk with the LO etc??

That is so wrong. Were you also told 8 weeks? Having gone through the process would you recommend anything for me to do? I just don't want to make the LO feel bullied etc and make me wait longer! Did you call or stop in the pd to talk with the LO etc??
LO did say that it's about two months, but because of the backlog it'll probably take four or more...
Don't bother calling - stop by, he's there after 4pm and keep in mind - it's not them who's dragging their feet.
In Norton they send batches for clearance and none of them will comeback individually until they all done.
In my batch there was one under review that took a long time...

Thank you for the info... it is quite frustrating ...hopefully my batch group will not be delayed...so if i go in he'll probably say what you just told me i take it.

Thank you for the info... it is quite frustrating ...hopefully my batch group will not be delayed...so if i go in he'll probably say what you just told me i take it.
Yes, that's exactly what he'll say for the twentieth time a day and that's not counting phone massages - :)

Mostly it seems as if it's the DMH that drags their feet. There are delays on the LO clicking "okay" to proceed to next steps, but it seems as if that is minimal.

40 days my ass....this sheetshow needs to be fixed.

LO did say that it's about two months, but because of the backlog it'll probably take four or more...
Don't bother calling - stop by, he's there after 4pm and keep in mind - it's not them who's dragging their feet.
In Norton they send batches for clearance and none of them will comeback individually until they all done.
In my batch there was one under review that took a long time...

That right there is funny!

^yes it does need to be fixed! This whole process seems wrong with allowing one individual to delay everybody.

Application submitted 7/28 with prints and photo receipt issued told about 90days
LO emailed me 12/16 to say I should have it in hand this week
It spent 6 days at the FRB
This is a low priority task and in cases where the workload is heavy otherwise the LTC/FID applications take a backseat
It is a very good opportunity to get to know your city government and speak to your elected officials.
They are the ones responsible for under manning the PD.
They will likely get some favorable action on your application.

Len's law course covers this as well.
The applications are submitted with the push of a mouse button after all the footwork is completed.

Yes. I forgot my story about involvement of you elected officials at the seminar on Sunday. So here goes!

I've had a C&R FFL since 1999 and renewals usually only take a month to 6 weeks. A few years ago I mailed out the renewal 1 day after receiving the form in the mail, 3 months prior to expiration. Three months go by and no renewal, knowing it was BS dragging at BATFE, I contacted (at that time) Sen. Scott Brown's office. They contacted BATFE on my behalf and BATFE LIED TO THEM, claiming that it had been mailed out prior to the Senator's office contact. Postmark on the envelope was 1 day AFTER Scotty's office contacted them!! [laugh]

It wasn't a priority to process it until they were contacted. They lied to cover up and then scrambled to get it out for real.

Same thing happens when you escalate the situation with a LTC renewal! You don't need to hire lawyers, just escalate it to those above the "obstruction"!

Just got my Marlborough renewal with no restrictions (originally issued in Framingham, also no restrictions). Took around 8 weeks, no issues or heavy lifting, representative (Maeve) was helpful, reasonable, and responsive.

Just got my Marlborough renewal with no restrictions (originally issued in Framingham, also no restrictions). Took around 8 weeks, no issues or heavy lifting, representative (Maeve) was helpful, reasonable, and responsive.

Representative???

Did you have to petition your elected official(s) to force the PD to issue your LTC, or is Maeve just the name of the licensing officer at Marlboro PD?

Representative???

Did you have to petition your elected official(s) to force the PD to issue your LTC, or is Maeve just the name of the licensing officer at Marlboro PD?

Yeah I don't think she's the actual licensing officer, maybe administrator would have been a better word choice. Regardless, she was the person I met with at the PD and she was helpful. Sorry about the confusion Whut.

Yeah I don't think she's the actual licensing officer, maybe administrator would have been a better word choice. Regardless, she was the person I met with at the PD and she was helpful. Sorry about the confusion Whut.

No problem. Just glad to hear your renewal was relatively hassle-free. I'm in the process of renewing mine right now in Franklin. I'm approaching 40 days since my interview...

Talked to a couple people in East Longmeadow where I grew up, typically you will get restriction on the first time you apply. At renewal time I have seen people getting no restrictions (You have to ask). One person with reason due to business was no restrictions the first time he applied.

It says Canton is red. Does that mean if you already have a ccw from another town and move there, that it would be removed?

It says Canton is red. Does that mean if you already have a ccw from another town and move there, that it would be removed?

NO, the original color guidelines here says that red means that when they issue an LTC, it is more often than not restricted. If you move into Canton with an LTC, your original PD still owns control of it, so if Canton wanted to restrict you on that permit, they would have to go through the original licensing autority who issued it.

I have no idea how they treat renewals, but someone told me that you can get unrestricted upon renewal (if you don't already have it), but again, I don't know first hand. Best bet is to look at the COmm2A numbers here, to get an idea of licensing trends for each town: Comm2A, the god of MA gun toters

Danvers, FWIW just gave my buddy a Class A with NO restrictions. It's his first renewal. His first license was out of Salem and was with target/hunting restrictions.

Danvers might be moving in a positive direction.

Danvers, FWIW just gave my buddy a Class A with NO restrictions. It's his first renewal. His first license was out of Salem and was with target/hunting restrictions.

Danvers might be moving in a positive direction.
Danvers actually restricted about 5.5% of LTCs in 2016 vs. 5.4% for all active Danvers LTCs. No not better, but not significantly worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom