Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any recent experience renewing an LTC in Framingham? I noticed now its listed as "Orange". It was Green when I got mine the first time. I'm 6 month out from expiration and was planning on going down to grab a renewal form next week.

This is my first renewal and I don't know why I'm filled with anxiety about it, but i am.

Thanks!

My SO and I did ours last year. As of August an existing ALP license was renewed without any restrictions. Did take about 4 months though.

Updated map is here: http://wp.me/a8nFd7-11

Thanks for your patience. :)

Moderator, please replace link in first page post so it points to the correct URL for updated map. Thanks.

Your map does not track very well to the actual data. For instance, Winchester is hardly green, it's one of the most red towns in the Commonwealth. Salem is green, Peabody is pretty much green, Canton, etc. For actual data on LTCs issued in 2016 look http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_-2016.pdf.

Also, the page indicates that the update is of NEXT month.

Your map does not track very well to the actual data. For instance, Winchester is hardly green, it's one of the most red towns in the Commonwealth. Salem is green, Peabody is pretty much green, Canton, etc. For actual data on LTCs issued in 2016 look http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_-2016.pdf.

I am tracking to the list in the first post of this thread. Open to other opinions but I think that is logical and reasonable. Perhaps the list in the first post needs correcting.

Update date fixed, thanks.

Last edited:
I am tracking to the list in the first post of this thread. Open to other opinions but I think that is logical and reasonable. Perhaps the list in the first post needs correcting.

Update date fixed, thanks.

Well, the Comm2a data is far more accurate than the information for this thread. What this thread really does is give a chance for people to read about experiences (timelines, requirements to get ALP, etc) that just showing the data doesn't. I don't refer to the map anymore, and the OP hasn't been updated in ages, so if you are basing the map on that, then my not paying attention to the map isn't unwarranted.

Thanks, can you be more specific? I was all over their web pages ( Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau )but couldn't find any link to the data. How does an interested citizen look at the raw data (not questioning Comm2a at all) Would like to see a source that is up to date and available on demand.

Comm2A files a FOIA (state equivalent) to FRB each year and gets the data direct from those that issue the LTCs. You and I won't find that data on the FRB website.

The most reacent date for 2016 through mid Nobemeber is: http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_-2016.pdf

At least once a year we file a public records request with the FRB asking for a list of all active LTCs and FIDs in the state less personally identifiable information. The data we receive includes license type, issuing agency, restrictions, issue date, expiration date, new vs. renewal, US citizen, and zip code of the holder. The chart we publish contains data for the most recent year. How a PD issued licences 5 or 6 years ago isn't relevant, so we just focus on the most recent data for this chart.

This data has allowed us to disabuse the firearms community about a number of long standing misunderstandings:
-VERY few LTCs are actually restricted about 8%.
-Although a PD says one thing on their website (e.g. citizenship is required to get a license) their practice appears to comply with the law.
-Firearms ownership is increasing year over year in Massachusetts by a significant amount. Fewer people are not owning more guns. More people are owning more guns.

Is "All LTCs Issued 2015 Thru 11/18" a typo? Should it say 2016?

I wonder what the story is with the many towns that seem to have 1 restricted LTC.

May I suggest you add a couple more data points to your request.
Number of LTC denied with the reason (statutory or suitability)
Number of FID denied with the reason (statutory or suitability)

Shouldn't be any problem getting this, I got it when I requested it from some local PDs. And it may shed some light on who is using suitability to deny.

The most reacent date for 2016 through mid Nobemeber is: http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_-2016.pdf

At least once a year we file a public records request with the FRB asking for a list of all active LTCs and FIDs in the state less personally identifiable information. The data we receive includes license type, issuing agency, restrictions, issue date, expiration date, new vs. renewal, US citizen, and zip code of the holder. The chart we publish contains data for the most recent year. How a PD issued licences 5 or 6 years ago isn't relevant, so we just focus on the most recent data for this chart.

This data has allowed us to disabuse the firearms community about a number of long standing misunderstandings:
-Although a PD says one thing on their website (e.g. citizenship is required to get a license) their practice appears to comply with the law.
-Firearms ownership is increasing year over year in Massachusetts by a significant amount. Fewer people are not owning more guns. More people are owning more guns.

Is "All LTCs Issued 2015 Thru 11/18" a typo? Should it say 2016?

I wonder what the story is with the many towns that seem to have 1 restricted LTC.
Fixed. Sometimes someone comes in and asks for a restricted LTC.

May I suggest you add a couple more data points to your request.
Number of LTC denied with the reason (statutory or suitability)
Number of FID denied with the reason (statutory or suitability)

Shouldn't be any problem getting this, I got it when I requested it from some local PDs. And it may shed some light on who is using suitability to deny.
That's an entirely different data set - applications. We can tell you that by far the two most common reasons for LTC denials are 'suitability' and 'truthfulness'. Statistically, denial rates are misleading and insignificant as it is very common for PDs to issue 'soft' denials.

Fixed. Sometimes someone comes in and asks for a restricted LTC.

Sadly this is more often than we'd like to admit. We've had people here on NES say that they did that as they had no intention of carrying and figure that it would "go easier and faster" to do so.

any recent experience with application in boxborough ma ?

I'm about to apply along with my gf. THe office I spoke with seemed very nice and they're listed as green

Interesting data. At a glance it looks like this state is slowly becoming more green. For example, I'm very happy to see that Waltham went from red to green.

Excellent! Do you have data on the growth rate for LTCs by year? Per town would be interesting but so would just overall.

hello everyone, I applied for my LTC in marlborough on november 17th and conducted there interview as requested, from November 17th to Feb 13th it was never touched. Then on feb 13th they approved it. It was Sent to the firearms bureau in Chelsea and they approved it and sent it back to Marlborough on the 2nd of March. But Marlborough has not called me to tell me it is in, does that seem normal? and should i call the town to ask if it is ready to be picked up? BTW i have a clean record so i cant imagine that could slow the process. I am from Indiana so Mass laws seem funky and according to the map Marlborough shows as green. Thanks for any feedback! Austin.

With suitability having a "clean" record isn't the ultimate decider. Maybe the interviewer didn't like the way you looked.

hello everyone, I applied for my LTC in marlborough on november 17th and conducted there interview as requested, from November 17th to Feb 13th it was never touched. Then on feb 13th they approved it. It was Sent to the firearms bureau in Chelsea and they approved it and sent it back to Marlborough on the 2nd of March. But Marlborough has not called me to tell me it is in, does that seem normal? and should i call the town to ask if it is ready to be picked up? BTW i have a clean record so i cant imagine that could slow the process. I am from Indiana so Mass laws seem funky and according to the map Marlborough shows as green. Thanks for any feedback! Austin.

I suggest reading my sticky on the LTC process.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...Firearms-License-Application-Process-Oct-2013

2-3 weeks after FRB says they approved it isn't long in the way many PDs operate. They only deal with LTC applications when they have "down time" in most departments, they hate the work but love the control.

Just spoke to a Whitman resident that told me that the PD is not issuing ALP LTC to anyone who is 25 YO or under. Anyone else run into this? The person I spoke to received target & hunting only as restriction.

Marblehead:
Picked up application 2/14
Interview: 2/16
FRB Approval: Mar 28

Told it will be printed and mailed by 30th.
LO told me at time of application they are made available for pick-up immediately upon PD receipt, will update when in hand.

Any updates on Plainville? I currently have an LTC with no restrictions, but might be moving there in the near future. I do have a while to go before my renewal, so looking for any info on if they would restrict upon renewal. I've seen on here that some towns are trying to force the issuing town to early expire, but that doesn't seem to common.

Any updates on Plainville? I currently have an LTC with no restrictions, but might be moving there in the near future. I do have a while to go before my renewal, so looking for any info on if they would restrict upon renewal. I've seen on here that some towns are trying to force the issuing town to early expire, but that doesn't seem to common.

Check Comm2A's list of towns and how many restricted LTCs Plainville issued last year. That is better info than the map here.

73 issued. 53% with restrictions. I guess they likely would renew as is and I could fight them if they didn't. Comm2A would probably be happy to get on board with the that as it seems they've fought other towns for similar.

Just applied in Medford. First-time application, I'm not from Massachusetts.

Officer's words: "It will have a target and hunting restriction. The chief does not give out unrestricted to first-time applicants. You can fight the chief if you want, but it will cost you $5-7 thousand dollars."

Time to start saving up, I guess! [rolleyes]

Just applied in Medford. First-time application, I'm not from Massachusetts.

Officer's words: "It will have a target and hunting restriction. The chief does not give out unrestricted to first-time applicants. You can fight the chief if you want, but it will cost you $5-7 thousand dollars."

Time to start saving up, I guess! [rolleyes]

It'll cost you that and you'll lose. And you risk being found unsuitable (not that a CoP would use that as a way to retaliate for you questioning his decision).

Better off to submit for a couple years and then ask if he'll remove the restrictions. MA gun ownership is all about submitting to the bullying of politicians and the whim of the CoP. It wasn't always like this [sad].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom