Guess what I just picked up?!

Waaahoooooo!
I picked up my class A LTC (restricted: target and hunting) today.
I applied on Monday, 1/5/09 and was told "If you don't hear from me in 21 days, give me a call."
When I was applying, I saw a guy come in and ask if his license was ready.
Today I figured, I'm running errands with mom. What are the chances that if my license would be ready on 1/26 that it wouldn't be ready today?
It was!!
Waltham typically issues restricted for your first license, but will issue unrestriced when you renew. I figured I'd have to wait 6 years.
It just so happens that since my birthday is March 5, I only have to wait 5 years - it expires March 5, 2014. So while yes, it kinda sucks I don't get a full 6 years for the $100 - it also means I only have to wait 5 years instead of 6!!

There's no fingerprint on it, so I'll need to use a PIN.
Anyone have any feedback on how much easier or more difficult that will be than fingerprints?
I'm super excited! This was me when I left the police station and walked back to the car (except there was just one of me):

[party]

Last edited:
Glad to hear of the quick turnaround.
Enjoy, be safe, and make sure to post pics of what you decide on.

Congrats on getting you license. To be honest I HATE the finger print reader. Whenever I buy something I alway have to hassle with the reader for 5 minutes with no luck. Then I have to use the pin, which is so much more simple. So simple that the last gun I bought I just told the guy to bypass the finger print reader as I was going to use the pin. He was happy as he stated that the finger print reader is a big pain in the butt.

If you're still considering a S&W 317 kit gun, let me know. Mine has been well used, but the cylinder is almost new, only a few cylinders through it. I'm not actively looking to sell it but you did express interest in the model, and it's been a bit of a safe queen.

Congratulatons.

Glad to hear Waltham is not that tough. I used to live there, still have a condo there, but moved to my wife's house when we got married. I never applied in Waltham, but just did in Winchester. They were quite friendly here.

How do you go about setting up a PIN on the ID card? I have a fingerprint on mine.

Thanks.

Congratulatons.

Glad to hear Waltham is not that tough. I used to live there, still have a condo there, but moved to my wife's house when we got married. I never applied in Waltham, but just did in Winchester. They were quite friendly here.

How do you go about setting up a PIN on the ID card? I have a fingerprint on mine.

Thanks.

While I wouldn't say the application process was tough - Waltham most certainly is a red town. They will NOT issue an unrestricted license on the first issuance. You have to wait for your first renewal for an ALP.
When the licensing officer was taking my fingerprints electronically, it only worked twice. I think that's why I got the PIN instead of the fingerprint on my card. The 3 sheets of paper I got with my license included a sheet from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts - Executive Office of Public Safety - Criminal History Systems Board - And says "Please find below the Personal Identification Number (PIN) issued for License Number xxx... When purchasing a firearm, please be sure to either have your PIN memorized or bring this form with you as you may be required to present it.

Congrats on getting you license. To be honest I HATE the finger print reader. Whenever I buy something I alway have to hassle with the reader for 5 minutes with no luck. Then I have to use the pin, which is so much more simple. So simple that the last gun I bought I just told the guy to bypass the finger print reader as I was going to use the pin. He was happy as he stated that the finger print reader is a big pain in the butt.

Ever since I sandpapered off my fingerprints I have been having a hard time with the readers too......

Congrats on your license, enjoy.

I think it's really sad they won't give you a no restrictions on the first time around. As you do the application and the approval is done, you have no background that is questionable to deny a license. In 5 or 6 years, the same results will come back, provided you are clean, and they will grant you a full license. Nothing has changed but THEIR attitude toward gun licenses. It should not be their decision. If you are clean, you are clean.
Just my 2 cents.

Again, congratulations on a license.

Back
Top Bottom