• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Green vs. Red Optics

No way in hell I would ever use green as a "dot" unless it was some kind of a special case.
Getting an optical zero on our target .22's reflex sight
using a Bushnell Laser Bore Sighter,
I could only distinguish the two dots
when I put the reflex sight into green mode.

This topic brings up a story about the practice plate shooting I run at the club. I have always painted the plates with green high vis paint. One particular week I stopped by the hardware store for a resupply of green spray paint. They were out. I bought 2 cans of high vis orange. Ho....Lee.....shit.....when the guys showed up for the practice session and saw the plates painted orange you would have thought I had committed treason or something. Omg the whining!!!! "I won't see my red dot against those orange plates as well".
Puts me in the mind of the time the summer school science teacher
wrote up pages of notes for his planetarium lecture using a red pen,
and then realized that the console's reading light
was a backlit sheet of red glass.

<WHA...Wha...wha...>

His notes couldn't have been more invisible
if he'd written them by dipping a fountain pen in lemon juice.

I bought a green dot sight based on reading about green being more better for human vision. I prefer red though.

I got a green Swamp Fox on my P80. It works better than red when in uneven lighting and warm lighting (some indoor ranges with bad flood lighting), where the red can wash out a bit when using power saving modes, but I otherwise don't see many pluses for the green color. Green lasers are higher frequency (shorter wavelength), so they technically use more power than red. Not a great aspect for a battery powered device.

Two year old thread I know, but I am mulling over this question of green vs. red optics now.

Specifically I bought a Sig P365XL, which uses the RMSc pattern for optics, so I am looking at the red reticle Holosun HS507K X2 or the green version HS507K-GR X2 either is suppose to be a direct mount to the Sig. The green version is $25 more but that is not an issue because it is a small amount, and also I do not want to give @drgrant the opportunity to call skinflinting on me.

I have never had any notable issue with red illuminated optics, so my first thought is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But I have seen what some others here have said and read some articles on the web stating how green might have benefits for someone like me.
I am an older (distinguished) gentleman who wears glasses and has a fairly pronounced astigmatism, although that has never been an issue with red dots, but perhaps I do not know what I am missing.

This is a small concealed carry pistol with the purposes of self defense, potential real life day/night target distance would likely not be more then 15 yards. Given that red or green might be an insignificant difference, yes?

I do not have the time, or proximity to a shop, to go out and do a comparison.
At this point I am leaning toward the red version because it is a known quantity and I would be annoyed if I ordered a green version and then did not like it. Although I could return it but that's a pain in the ass that I don't really have time for either.

🐯

Brief unscientific comparison video between red and green Holosun 510C versions.

We actually own a couple of the red 510C, I have one on my patrol style rifle and my wife has one on her SBR, and I have to say in this video the green looks better to me.

Natural this example is through the lens of a camera and a static target, but still an intriguing comparison.
If this video was your only point of reference which color would you take?

🐯

Holosun green is surprisingly fantastic, can been seen well in all lighting conditions and backgrounds, even bright green foliage.

Trijicon green Accupoint is simply not bright enough for a bright sunny day, but the same with the red reticle, this is a well documented thing with this scope line

Trijicon green MRO is more like a yellow, but is clearly visible in any condition other than a all sandy background.

I think it can be said that the overall quality of the optic needs to be considered when comparing the reticle color

Here is a decent comparison of red vs green:
For most people, it comes down to which one do you prefer. There are a few conditions where one is better than the other, but for most folks it's what works best for you. The one exception might be Holosun's “gold” reticle that is designed specifically for color-blind shooters.

I prefer green. It’s easier on the eyes and I pick it up faster. Also, if you live in the city, the red could be washed out by car taillights at night.

Last edited:
I decided to go with the green one, the HS507K-GR X2

I was bummed however to learn that Brownells will not accept promo codes ($25 off) on Holosun products. But I have an edge account with them so at least I get free two day shipping.

This optic better be the dogs balls because in the end it is costing me a little over 1/2 what the pistol itself cost me to begin with.

BTW if you do have a 507 and want a cover for when you are cleaning or storing your pistol then here is a two pack at AMZ that had a click for 30% off coupon; ends up being less than $12 (Prime).

www.amazon.com/dp/B09WQTTJPF

🐯

Optic arrived from Brownells today and I am quite please with the green reticle. Thanks for the input here.

Also got a new holster from DARA. Excellent workmanship, fits the P365XL like a glove, and because all of their holsters include an optics cut you are not charged extra for a "custom" addition.

Adding a picture of on of those little covers I linked from Amazon also, good fit, certainly good enough for cleaning and storage.

0RLB5F3.jpg

M2iMgfL.jpg

RvkXwm2.jpg

sNST58t.jpg

BTW it is HE507K-GR X2 not my typo above HS.

🐯

Back
Top Bottom