• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Green vs. Red Optics

Was looking at getting a pistol optic red dot, but was possibly thinking about going green for once my life... Anyone use green reticles? Do they washout on vegetation or are they bright no matter what? Was specifically thinking of either a 407c v2 or 507c v2 from Holosun for a handgun, and possibly a green EOTECH for a "pistol" build :cool: Was leaning green because the suppressor sights I have for backups are green as well.

The 508T v2 is nowhere to be found, and I like Holosun more attractive pricing to the RMR.

I do also know that green optics are not compatible with NODS, but that is something for a year out or so...

Last edited:
I personally find that green illumination washes out with vegetation. I used green for my 1-4x Accupoint, but that optic’s intent for me was service rifle competition against black target centers. For combat/tactical use, I like red. But ultimately, it depends on what you like. Try out both with friend’s guns if you can.

The human eye picks up green better than any other color, which is why NVGs have been green until we’ve gotten to unfilmed phosphor NVGs. However, red is less common in nature and I find this stands out better in most situations.

Last edited:
... Was leaning green because the suppressor sights I have for backups are green as well.

In that case. I’d even more say red so as not to confuse your eye with green on two different aiming methods. So you don’t confuse a front iron dot for the electronic dot. That’s especially problematic on a pistol optic where acquiring the dot can be harder than on a rifle.

In that case. I’d even more say red so as not to confuse your eye with green on two different aiming methods. So you don’t confuse a front iron dot for the electronic dot. That’s especially problematic on a pistol optic where acquiring the dot can be harder than on a rifle.

This was my same thoughts when reading the OP. Def want that contrast between fixed and DOT.

Played around with both and red for me provided a bit more contrast. I believe that’s why you’ll see some reports of green being “better” for astigmatisms, since it’s a lower contrast color and the distortion may be less noticeable.

Just picked up a Holosun 407c-v2 for my Mark IV, and while it isn’t as nice as my SRO, its a great bang for the buck.

Played around with both and red for me provided a bit more contrast. I believe that’s why you’ll see some reports of green being “better” for astigmatisms, since it’s a lower contrast color and the distortion may be less noticeable.

Just picked up a Holosun 407c-v2 for my Mark IV, and while it isn’t as nice as my SRO, its a great bang for the buck.

Are the Sig RDS’s also made by Holosun and just rebranded? I bought a Sig Romeo5 a couple years ago after watching the torture test on them and I’ve been impressed so far, and for short money too.

Are the Sig RDS’s also made by Holosun and just rebranded? I bought a Sig Romeo5 a couple years ago after watching the torture test on them and I’ve been impressed so far, and for short money too.
No idea but I would be very surprised if they were. They don’t seem to share any common parts or design, which I would imagine they would to keep production costs down. That said, I don’t have much experience with the Sig RDS.

This topic brings up a story about the practice plate shooting I run at the club. I have always painted the plates with green high vis paint. One particular week I stopped by the hardware store for a resupply of green spray paint. They were out. I bought 2 cans of high vis orange. Ho....Lee.....shit.....when the guys showed up for the practice session and saw the plates painted orange you would have thought I had committed treason or something. Omg the whining!!!! "I won't see my red dot against those orange plates as well". 🙄.

Took me 3 weeks to go through the orange paint I had bought and I had to hear the bitching every one of those 3 sessions until I finally got some cans of green 🤣🤣🤣

No idea but I would be very surprised if they were. They don’t seem to share any common parts or design, which I would imagine they would to keep production costs down. That said, I don’t have much experience with the Sig RDS.

I don’t know, they look pretty samely to me.

FC9270BA-C570-443D-AC64-AE096A01BDE0.jpeg A20F71F8-890A-48E9-A7A7-BEC05B76DB68.jpeg

This topic brings up a story about the practice plate shooting I run at the club. I have always painted the plates with green high vis paint. One particular week I stopped by the hardware store for a resupply of green spray paint. They were out. I bought 2 cans of high vis orange. Ho....Lee.....shit.....when the guys showed up for the practice session and saw the plates painted orange you would have thought I had committed treason or something. Omg the whining!!!! "I won't see my red dot against those orange plates as well". 🙄.

Took me 3 weeks to go through the orange paint I had bought and I had to hear the bitching every one of those 3 sessions until I finally got some cans of green 🤣🤣🤣

Don't paint the steel at all... that way no one can bitch and the targets are more challenging to acquire...

Don't paint the steel at all... that way no one can bitch and the targets are more challenging to acquire...
Painting them has been our standard for years. Imagine the bitching I'd hear if I didn't paint them 🤣

Painting them let's the shooter see where the hits are. It's a practice session I run twice a month

I have a Vortex Spitfire which has both Red and Green reticles. I was performing some testing on it last weekend at the range. Very bright daylight and targets at 100 and 200 yards. I found the green pretty much useless. The red was nice and the reticle was clearly visible against the black of the target. When you had the illumination off you lost the finer markings of the reticle on the black. In the evening I was not at the range but I was using the scope out the back of my house over the yard and into the woods. Both the red and the green were improvements over no illumination however once again I preferred the red.

It is good to see where you are hitting on the steel.

Plinking is different from competition. In competition, the question is "did he hit it and knock it down?" Or, with rifle, the RO/spotter's just listening for the ping or watching for a hit.

Painting them has been our standard for years. Imagine the bitching I'd hear if I didn't paint them 🤣

Be an agent for change. Piss people off!

In all seriousness, Karl of InRange and I believe another guy Karl knows in AZ specifically doesn't paint steel because that way no one can bitch about steel not being painted, or this guy having freshly painted steel versus that guy having dull grey, shot-up steel. Everyone gets to embrace the suck.

I own a green eotech. It washes out inside but when your outside it clears right up. It’s also helps when you properly learn how to use a holographic site. And why i mean by that is keeping both eyes open and looking through the optic.

For fiber optics I like green, for electronics I like a red dot.
I made the mistake of getting a trijicon accupower 1-4 with green reticle, and it sucks. One because the illumination is weak, and two because the crosshairs get lost in foliage.
The green optics (especially the EOTECH) generally have shit battery life which is a deal breaker for me also.

I have a Sig Big Dot and also vote red over green for your dot, although green could be nice for ACOG range-gauging lines on your optic if you have like a TRIJICON or something like that.

I use a green triangle on my Accupoint for hunting I prefer it to the red and have no issue with it blending in on vegatation. i find I pick up the green and have made some very fast shots that would have been tough with a regular cross hair traditional scope

This is why we can't have nice things... :rolleyes:

I like red but it is really a matter of personal preference.

Also, compare battery life. Some optics get way less with the green option vs red.

How do you like that 407? Is it working out well for you and is it as fast as the SRO? I Know the SRO has the bigger window. Was contemplating getting the 507 to have the circle dot option, but I am thinking it might just be too darn "busy" and distracting.

How do you like that 407? Is it working out well for you and is it as fast as the SRO? I Know the SRO has the bigger window. Was contemplating getting the 507 to have the circle dot option, but I am thinking it might just be too darn "busy" and distracting.
The 407 is nice for the money but the SRO is objectively better in a number of ways. It’s brighter, bigger window, smaller bezel, and just feels more premium. I didn’t think the big window would make a difference for me but it does. I can get the SRO and find the dot in under a second every time, I have to search with the Holosun maybe 20% of the time. I’m sure more work on my presentation would improve that but.

Was contemplating getting the 507 to have the circle dot option, but I am thinking it might just be too darn "busy" and distracting.

It works well for me - I’m more likely to catch the big ring and then quickly the dot, than just the dot. But my vision is so poor that it’s mostly distortion getting the dot to the sweet spot in my spectacles than one might need with 20/20 vision.

Back
Top Bottom