Great-grandma dared cop to Tase her, so he did

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling uneasy when authority uses such force on citizens.
I think I understand now.

Electricity creates a severely visceral reaction in many people. It leaves this nasty perception of electrocution.

The fact of the matter is that the harm done by a taser to the body is dramatically less than the damage that can be done with physical force to restrain and subjugate.

Look at the alternatives...
Or look at the bigger picture, what was her infraction? She's a jerk and she broke a misdemeanor traffic law...

How about having the punishment fit the crime and leave all the escalation crap at the curb?

Understanding that this may require legislative action to do away with the signature BS...

I have never understood the signature BS... It's just that - BS, get rid of it, it serves no useful purpose...

Where I find fault, it is bigger than the officer, it is the system that caused this escalation in the first place...

There is merit to your point......but it is entirely a different issue. You cannot hold the officer accountable and to blame for enforcing a legal but problematic law.

The fact of the matter is that the harm done by a taser to the body is dramatically less than the damage that can be done with physical force to restrain and subjugate.
True, but the fact of the matter is you are disrupting your central nervous system. It has caused death and will cause death... So, its not unreasonable to be asking these questions and setting high bars for usage/justification...

Just as with any application of force.

Sooo... you would be OK with him manhandling her and dislocating her shoulder but you have a problem with him using something that did not harm her at all?[rolleyes][rolleyes]

Yeah, tasers are wicked safe. No one's ever been killed with a taser. High voltage devices like that can cause cardiac arrhythmia in people with heart conditions, like say, the elderly?

I don't accept your position at all that tasers are not dangerous to people with heart conditions. She could very easily have died had she had any type of heart condition, which would have been impossible for the officer to know about.

God I hate NES sometimes. Yeah, f*cking 72 year old lady gets what she deserves! She mouthed off! she didn't sign a ticket! She played stupid games and she got a stupid prize! No sympathy! Nope! She's a CRIMINAL! She will behave better next time! Maybe NEXT time she'll get a f*cking bullet! F*cking criminal whore!

Or look at the bigger picture, what was her infraction? She's a jerk and she broke a misdemeanor traffic law...

How about having the punishment fit the crime and leave all the escalation crap at the curb?

Understanding that this may require legislative action to do away with the signature BS...
An accused's signature on the summons is the ONLY way to legally confirm that the accused indeed was the person stopped by the police for the infraction.

If a signature is not required, what's there to stop a dirty cop from frabricating anything?

True, but the fact of the matter is you are disrupting your central nervous system. It has caused death and will cause death... So, its not unreasonable to be asking these questions and setting high bars for usage/justification...

Again given her age ...physical force would have most likely caused worse.

Yeah, tasers are wicked safe. No one's ever been killed with a taser. High voltage devices like that can cause cardiac arrhythmia in people with heart conditions, like say, the elderly?

I don't accept your position at all that tasers are not dangerous to people with heart conditions. She could very easily have died had she had any type of heart condition, which would have been impossible for the officer to know about.

God I hate NES sometimes. Yeah, f*cking 72 year old lady gets what she deserves! She mouthed off! she didn't sign a ticket! She played stupid games and she got a stupid prize! No sympathy! Nope! She's a CRIMINAL! She will behave better next time! Maybe NEXT time she'll get a f*cking bullet! F*cking criminal whore!

And you guys wonder why your libertarian party is a joke that never goes anywhere?

You cannot hold the officer accountable and to blame for enforcing a legal but problematic law.
I don't.

However, that has limits... "following orders" doesn't fly with me, you still have to remain ethical in my book even when the law isn't, but you are correct, this is an entirely different can of worms... A much bigger issue with how are system is functioning today than this incident of jackass getting treated like jackass...

After biting a innocent passerbyer who called police.

No, it was murder. [wink]

Do you have evidence that anyone has been killed by a Taser? Not news stories, but an ME opinion, etc.

There is merit to your point......but it is entirely a different issue. You cannot hold the officer accountable and to blame for enforcing a legal but problematic law.

I have no problem with the signature requirement. It keeps accountability. It isn't an admission of guilt. It's an acknowledgment that you and the LEO were both there and had an encounter that resulted in a citation. You can show up and argue your case later if you choose.

If she's got a heart problem, she shouldn't be resisting arrest in the first place [thinking]

Several minutes of warnings and she still doesn't comply. The taser is the medium of choice here. OC would be just as likely to cause respiratory problems. Physical force would likely lead to bruises and potentially broken bones.

Saying that a 72 year old lady should get off because she's old is like saying a 15 year old burglar should get off because he's young.

She was offered alternatives. She choose to the low road. She was warned several times, she refused.

Did she have to go to jail for not signing? I don't know... Don't know the laws there. Back in Ohio, it was requested and if refused then it was an automatic court appearance box was checked. If they didn't show up for court, then a warrant was issued. Yeah, they could have been arrested, but to be honest, it was a pain. Unless they ran their mouth. You know how that goes.

Why are we beating this to death? Even a pinched elbow on someone her age is probably going to leave a nasty bruise. Maybe more.

And yes, tazing does soften them up for cuffing. Dry-tazing certainly takes the fight out of them without leaving any contusions or lacerations. And your point?

Was he defending her against herself?

Please answer this question. How do you think he should have taken her into custody?

When he nudged her away from traffic yes, when he tazed her no. I don't think she should have been taken into custody because her actions of not signing the ticket did not harm anyone.

An accused's signature on the summons is the ONLY way to legally confirm that the accused indeed was the person stopped by the police for the infraction.

If a signature is not required, what's there to stop a dirty cop from frabricating anything?
[rolleyes]

Signatures aren't worth the paper they are scribbled on... [laugh]

There are traffic citations mailed to people in various places - clearly there's no signature...

If you are concerned with the integrity of the identification, the tech is readily available to have them snap a picture, or scan the license... There is no need for this step...

Who has said that no one has ever died from a Taser?

I don't accept your position at all that tasers are not dangerous to people with heart conditions.

Where have I ever stated this? Please do not put words in my mouth. Given her age a Taser is the least likely to cause her injury. I can guarantee that physically restraining her would have caused her injury. I have handcuffed elderly non-compliant people. Have you? No matter how easy you are on them and how gentle you try to be they get hurt and break bones.

Your words not ours

Saying that a 72 year old lady should get off because she's old is like saying a 15 year old burglar should get off because he's young.
Well, I certainly did not suggest she should "get off". Just commenting on the general problem of escalating otherwise trivial infractions to "resisting arrest" in a manner that serves no purpose for public safety or justice... That is all...

When he nudged her away from traffic yes, when he tazed her no. I don't think she should have been taken into custody because her actions of not signing the ticket did not harm anyone.

She resisted, kept resisting, then tried to get in the car while resisting some more.

It didn't look like she was calmly going to drive away, and even if she did...

IBTL.

You guys are right, the cop's a hero, he had no choice. I'm glad he made it home alive. I'm done here.

I don't think she should have been taken into custody because her actions of not signing the ticket did not harm anyone.

Someone who breaks into a bank at night and steals hundreds of thousands of dollars does not harm anyone either...[rolleyes]

Well it is a free country still, for now anyway. You can always quit the forum.
[crying]

You guys are right, the cop's a hero, he had no choice. I'm glad he made it home alive. I'm done here.

Yeah, doing a job most people don't or won't understand and complain cause they're "not doing their job" or because they are.

And yeah, he went home. No hits, no runs, no errors, no body left on base. [wink]

Since June 2001, more than 351 individuals in the United States have died after being shocked by police Tasers. Most of those individuals were not carrying a weapon. Amnesty International is concerned that Tasers are being used as tools of routine force -- rather than as an alternative to firearms.

Medical studies so far on the effects of Tasers have either been limited in scope or unduly influenced by the weapons' primary manufacturer. No study has adequately examined the impact of Tasers on potentially at-risk individuals -- people who have medical conditions, take prescription medications, are mentally ill or are under the influence of narcotics. Rigorous, independent, impartial study of their use and effects is urgently needed to determine what role Tasers may have played in the 351 deaths and to determine appropriate guidelines for future Taser use.

Given the unresolved safety concerns, Amnesty International recommends that police departments either suspend the use of Tasers and stun guns pending further safety research or limit their use to situations where officers would otherwise be justified in resorting to firearms.

Death penalty for resisting arrest...hooorah!!!

I don't get it either..what happened to a cop just grabbing the woman and putting her in the cop car...OH NO your gonna dislocate her shoulder...how does a f***ing taser not totally immobilize your body too fall hard to the ground?...Tasers kill people, tackling someone doesn't..cops have it too easy nowadays.

Break the law, then compound that by being combative and refusing to sign a ticket, which is the law to do in most states, then refuse to come out of the car, then refuse the officer's orders to come back. Yep, force is going to be used on you.

She wasn't tased because she was disrespecting the police officer, she was tased because she ignored several orders to come along peacably and was moving to dflee the officer after arrest.

Heart condition? PULEASE. If her heart was so freakin' frail why didn't she do as ordered and then make a stink in court? IF the cop in question had wrestled her to the ground it's at least as likely if not more so, that she would have sustained serious injury.

You don't get a free pass for breaking the law and then resisting arrest because of your age and sex. If she'd have even passively resisted (going limp) he wouldn't have tased her. He would have handcuffed her and carried her to the squad car. But no, she wasn't going to do that, she was going to flee the scene.

The cop in question, if you look at the video, used several shoves to get her attention and to get her to comply. She refused. Eventually he did his job and effected the arrest using less-than-lethal means.

NO free passes because you're old or because you're a woman. Break the law, pay the price. Resist arrest and you can expect force to be used.

I'd be the first one here screaming brutality if it was used. This was not such a case. Not even close.

Tasers kill people, tackling someone doesn't..cops have it too easy nowadays.

Can you name one? Not people who've vaguely "died after being tased," but people who have been killed by a Taser.

Tackling someone can most certainly kill them, especially if they're a brittle boned old lady.

Death penalty for resisting arrest...hooorah!!!

Amnesty International is hardly a credible and unbiased source.

Is there evidence that the Taser killed the people?

I don't get it either..what happened to a cop just grabbing the woman and putting her in the cop car...OH NO your gonna dislocate her shoulder...how does a f***ing taser not totally immobilize your body too fall hard to the ground?...Tasers kill people, tackling someone doesn't..cops have it too easy nowadays.

You are missing the point...a taser is the least likely way to cause injury to a elderly person.

The risk of serious injury or death would be higher in physically handling her.

In the interest of full disclosure... I do not care for tasers.. I would rather go old school and hands on.

In this instance I think the kid made a good choice.

Any cop who needs to use a tazer on an old lady should be let go at the least.I will even go out on a limb here and say that tazers should only be used on people who are capable of inflicting serious injury to the cop.They are being used just because people are a**holes,and in my opinion that is abuse of a cop tool.In 32 years as a cop,I never needed a tazer.Maybe Police Depts. should try using old standards and stop hiring pussies.Another tool that is abused is the cell phone.Hang em up and do some Police work for God sake.Man I miss the old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom