Where there once was a man in the mountain
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31202935/?GT1=43001

follow the link for the video

Great-grandma dared cop to Tase her, so he did
Woman, 72, refused to sign traffic ticket; an argument, and then a zap

By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 9:26 a.m. ET, Wed., June 10, 2009
First there was the college student who gave the language the immortal phrase “Don’t Tase me, bro!” before being zapped by police. Now, there’s the 72-year-old great-grandmother who told a cop, “Go ahead. Tase me” — and got what she asked for.

Kathryn Winkfein was stopped for doing 60 mph in a 45 zone in her pickup truck on a highway near Austin, Texas. After Deputy Chris Bieze finished writing the ticket, he gave it to her and asked her to sign it.

Winkfein refused. Bieze insisted, saying he would have to arrest her if she didn’t sign the ticket. When she wouldn’t sign, he opened the door to the truck and told her to get out.

Differing accounts
This all happened around 2 p.m. on May 11. But it didn’t become news until Winkfein told a local television station that she had been mistreated. The Travis County Constable’s Office alleged that she had been argumentative and profane. She denied the charge, telling a local Fox News reporter, “I was not argumentative. I was not combative. Every bit of this is a lie.”

In response, the constable’s office released the dashboard video of the arrest, which shows Winkfein using vulgar language and daring Bieze to use his Taser. According to the time stamp on the dashboard video, it was at least seven minutes from when Bieze told the elderly woman to get out of her truck until he finally hit her with 50,000 volts of low-amperage electricity and she fell screaming to the ground.

Winkfein has not commented since the video was released. According to the local Fox station, she has hired an attorney.

When Bieze tells her to get out of her truck, Winkfein says, “Take me to jail. Go on and take me to jail.”

“Step on out,” the officer commands.

The woman gets out of the truck and walks along the side of the road, close to the fog line separating the shoulder from the traffic lane.

“Give me the [expletive] thing and I’ll sign it,” she tells Bieze, but the officer has already told her she is being arrested. When Winkfein strays close to the traffic lane, the officer pushes her onto the shoulder.

“You’re gonna shove a 72-year-old woman?” Winkfein yells at him.

“If you don’t step back, you’re gonna be Tased,” Bieze says.

That’s when Winkfein said, “Go ahead. Tase me.”

‘I dare you’
Even then, Bieze did not use the Taser he had out and ready. He attempted to grab her, but Winkfein twisted away.

“Step back or you’re gonna be Tased, ma’am,” Bieze says again.

“I dare you,” she said.

Winkfein then decided she was leaving and tried to walk back to her truck.

“I’m getting back in my car,” she said.

“You’re gonna be Tased,” Bieze said, blocking her path.

“I’m getting back in my car,” she insists.

“No, ma’am,” he says.

That’s when he finally fired the Taser and Winkfein went down screaming.

“Now put your hands behind your back!” Bieze orders the woman, who has fallen out of the picture. “Put your hands behind your back, or you’re gonna be Tased again!”

Bieze finally took Winkfein into custody and charged her with resisting arrest.

Sgt. Maj. Gary Griffin of the Travis County, Texas, Constable’s Office told NBC News that Bieze acted appropriately.

“He mitigated this event safely, effectively and efficiently. Nobody sustained any injury,” Griffin said.

If you're going to pull the tail of a tiger, you'd better have a plan for dealing with teeth and claws.

This happened a month ago. Before the video of the incident came out she talked to a reporter and said it was all lies. The cop made up everything and just tased her. After the video, the reporter went back to her house but she wouldn't answer the door. [thinking]

It never gets old watching people get tased. Before the "what if it was your grandma?" My grandma would never act like such an idiot. Always so proper and ready to lay down the smackdown when I was out of line. Miss you Meme.

Deputy Chris Bieze = Pathetic excuse for a peace officer

Huh??? Was that supposed to be sarcastic and I just didn't get it? It seems like he gave her ample warning, and if she had slipped away while resisting arrest and stumbled into traffic & got hit by a car, everyone would be all over his case for NOT tasing her.

She's just lucky she wasn't a dog or she'd be dead on the side of the road! Did the officer make it home safely?

Huh??? Was that supposed to be sarcastic and I just didn't get it? It seems like he gave her ample warning, and if she had slipped away while resisting arrest and stumbled into traffic & got hit by a car, everyone would be all over his case for NOT tasing her.

No I'm not being sarcastic. Why would violence be justified against someone that is not initiating violence nor threating violence themselves?

No I'm not being sarcastic. Why would violence be justified against someone that is not initiating violence nor threating violence themselves?

They were being arrested, they were WARNED, and they resisted. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Did you even watch the video?

If you are being arrested and you resist arrest by trying to walk away, necessary force will be used to affect the arrest. If you don't want to be the subject of that force, all you have to do is obey the instructions of the police officer who is arresting you.

In this particular instance, she failed to take the prudent course at multiple points:

- she was speeding 60 in a 45 zone
- she was verbally abusive when getting the ticket
- she refused to sign the ticket
- she refused when the officer told her to back up, multiple times
- she tried to get back in the truck and leave, after being told she was being arrested.

Last edited:
This happened a month ago. Before the video of the incident came out she talked to a reporter and said it was all lies. The cop made up everything and just tased her. After the video, the reporter went back to her house but she wouldn't answer the door. [thinking]
[rofl] She really enjoys the PSGWSP game doesn't she... [laugh]

How the constable handled the arrest appeared to be within the bounds of the force necessary to affect the arrest. He told her, he warned her and then he arrested her.

Any other inflicted pain would have left brusing or even the possibility of broken stuff... [thinking]

She was resisting and non-compliant which compelled the officer to use a level of force necessary to get her compliance. I've seen the video and it looks like he was well within his authority to use an appropriate level of force to achieve compliance.

Mark056

Turns out the officer was a trainer for Tazers too.

Did everything by the book and the video demonstrates that.

I hope "granny" does some time.

I hope the same people who say "but she's an old lady" are the same people getting run over by elderly drivers who mistake the gas for the brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom