Grain Question 10/22 with pics.

blindndead

NES Member
Just got back from shooting what a fun day. The rounds I had were 36 grain's and I was getting nothing but jam's. My friend had his marlin 22 and tried the ammo I had. He got a real nasty jam. He had a box of Blazer ammunition with 40 grains with we both had no proplem with his rounds. Do you think the grain difference is the cause of the jams?
P3Rob1022.jpg

P3Dez1022.jpg

P325Robruger7.jpg

Last edited:
I shoot federal gold out of my 10/22.
Also used to shoot CCI with no issues.

What type of jam?

Off-topic: what handgun are you shooting in your last pic?

The 10/22 is a blowback operated firearm. These are dependent on the amount of recoil generated by the cartridge. All other things, recoil is first order proportional to bullet weight.

The difference between a 36-grain slug and a 40-grain slug is only 11%. I'm sort of surprised that that would make a difference. Perhaps the action was dry?

The 10/22 is a blowback operated firearm. These are dependent on the amount of recoil generated by the cartridge. All other things, recoil is first order proportional to bullet weight.

The difference between a 36-grain slug and a 40-grain slug is only 11%. I'm sort of surprised that that would make a difference. Perhaps the action was dry?

No, But the thing I dont understand is the same thing happened with my buddy's marlin. I gave away the box to a friend so he can try it to see if it happens to him.

Maybe you got a box of weak ammo. I used to buy the Federal 36 grain hollow point bulk boxes for shooting with the Boy Scouts. We ran many thousands through my 10-22 without any problems.

What brand of ammo was it and is this the first time shooting your 10/22?
Looks like a box of Remington on the table where you were shooting. That could be the problem. Try something like the Federal I see on the other bench.

What brand of ammo was it and is this the first time shooting your 10/22?
Looks like a box of Remington on the table where you were shooting. That could be the problem. Try something like the Federal I see on the other bench.
It was Federal 36 grain hollow point bulk boxes. When I got my 10/22 I was using federal but it was a blue box. It all went with no problem's. The Remington ran great

Last edited:
hmm, when I first read your post I thought you might be using subsonic ammo, but if you're shooting the federal bulk pack, I don't know what to tell ya.

maybe a bad box of ammo.....?

hmm, when I first read your post I thought you might be using subsonic ammo, but if you're shooting the federal bulk pack, I don't know what to tell ya.

maybe a bad box of ammo.....?
Yea, I dont know. I guess I will need to wait until my buddy Steve run's it thru his 10/22 next week?

The Federal bulk .22 was also jamming constantly in both my 10/22 and P22 this weekend. They were having feeding issues rather than ejection problems though. I switched to Winchester Wildcats and didn't have a single jam the rest of the day.

I've had good luck in mine with Winchester Xpert 22. The Federal stuff was a nightmare in mine as well. It also runs well on Remington Thunderbolt, although not as good as the Winchester, and that's the ammo of choice for my Walther PPK .22 anyways.

My 10/22 gets " jammy " when it is dirty, cold outside, or underlubed. The Federal bulk pack from Wally World works okay in the rifle. I haven't had any real problems with feeding but seem to be mostly ejecting. Maybe it's time to break it down for a scrubbing.

Now if the same ammo was doing the same in your buddies rifle, this is an ammo issue. Look on Rimfire Central's forums and see if anybody else is having the same trouble with this stuff.

My 10/22 cycles the 60 grain subsonic stuff with just the occasional burp.

As another happy owner of a CZ 452, the Trainer version, I highly recommend one! I don't shoot the 10/22 as much now after picking on of these up!

Joe R.

Blindndead, try a different brand of ammo. My 10/22s like the Federal bulk pack from Wally World, but yours may not. Try the Remington out. (I don't buy the Remington since they changed the bullet shape a few years ago - jams my Ruger MKI every time - but the Federal goes through with no problem.

Then, once you've got your feeding issues corrected, get a sling and stop using a rest. [wink] Come on out to an Appleseed Shoot and we'll show you how to use the sling.

Blindndead, try a different brand of ammo. My 10/22s like the Federal bulk pack from Wally World, but yours may not. Try the Remington out. (I don't buy the Remington since they changed the bullet shape a few years ago - jams my Ruger MKI every time - but the Federal goes through with no problem.

Then, once you've got your feeding issues corrected, get a sling and stop using a rest. [wink] Come on out to an Appleseed Shoot and we'll show you how to use the sling.

Sound's like fun.

There's always the weekend after in Proctor, VT and Jericho, VT in July.

Trying to get a range in NH for an Appleseed there sometime this summer. Any help is appreciated. If you know of a rnage, let me know, and help make the arrangements.

As to the bullet weight causing your problem, I say it is insignificant.

The power of the load is significant.

FWIW, the 10/22's I have (all 6 of them) seem to like the 550 round bulk Federal (from Wally World), but, every one doesn't like the Federal Auto-Match (325 round box).

As in everything else, YMMV (your mileage may vary), so try and find a load your gun likes. Wal-Mart also has Winchester and Remington bulk box ammo, those would be my next choices, if it were me.

FWIW, I noticed that Federal changed the load in their Wally World value packs. I never had an issue with the old loan in any of my 3 10/22s, but we'll see if the new load has any affect this weekend.

ok

this it what I came up with. My 10/22 does not like bulk pack rounds. I tried some wichester hollow points bulk NFG federal bulk NFG. All the stuff that works for me so far is all the non bulk pac stuff. Today I used 100 rounds of standard velocity with no problems. Go figure.

Are you getting stove pipes? If so, then get a volquartsen extractor. What an amazing difference. At least it worked for me. Small money, and a few minutes to install. It's worth it.

Edit: Btw I was having problems with the Fed 36gr HP bulk packs until I replaced the extractor.

Are you getting stove pipes? If so, then get a volquartsen extractor. What an amazing difference. At least it worked for me. Small money, and a few minutes to install. It's worth it.

Edit: Btw I was having problems with the Fed 36gr HP bulk packs until I replaced the extractor.

That's what I'm getting with my 10/22. Volquartsen extractor, huh? Just saved that to a sticky on my desktop to check out later when things are a bit less hectic.

That's what I'm getting with my 10/22. Volquartsen extractor, huh? Just saved that to a sticky on my desktop to check out later when things are a bit less hectic.

It is a replacement extractor that works like a charm. From what I could tell, it has more of an angle to it than the stock extractor. Go here Volquartsen. I was having all sorts of stove piping until I installed this little baby. I also picked up the extended Bolt Handle & extended magazine release. Good scores on all. These people know 10/22's!

Back
Top Bottom