Governor Patrick online chat with the Globe RIGHT NOW

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/06/noon_chat_with_2.html

I asked "what evidence leads you to believe that restricting those with licenses to carry firearms from purchasing more than one gun per month will lead to less crime?"

Be polite and maybe they'll select one of our questions!

It goes until 1pm.

[Comment From John Henry]
Gov. Patrick, could you please explain how your proposed gun control legislation will reduce firearm violence in Massachusetts?

Governor Deval Patrick: Right now in MA you can buy guns in bulk lawfully. Sometimes these lawfully purchased guns make their way into unlawful resale or through theft into the hands of criminals. What we have proposed, John, is to limit purchases to one gun per month.

We have also proposed a so-called "dangerousness hearing" for any person who is accused of committing a crime using a gun, so that we can hold people pending trial whose continued presence on the street poses a danger to the public.

Governor Deval Patrick: There's also a measure to address the access to machine guns by people who lack training in how to use them. You may remember the little boy in Western Mass who was killed handling a machine gun at a gun show not long ago.

There are other things we are doing and will continue to do that go beyond the proposed bill, and have to do with our coordination with federal and local law enforcement around gun trafficking, etc. It's also really important, in many settings, that we work with local communities to give young people safe places to be after school, on weekends and in the summer, with constructive activities.

[Comment From Phil]
I have a follow up on John Henry’s question. What will subjecting citizens who have already jumped thru multiple hoops to obtain a License to Carry, restrictions on how many guns they can buy help to reduce crime? And there are already laws that can deal with a person making straw purchases. We are not talking about bulk purchases thru illegal means. Again why must you limit what I can buy?

Governor Deval Patrick: Phil, law enforcement tell us that lawful bulk purchases often become passthroughs to criminal purchasers. That's why we have proposed this.

Last edited:
He answered your question.
Right now in MA you can buy guns in bulk lawfully. Sometimes these lawfully purchased guns make their way into unlawful resale or through theft into the hands of criminals. What we have proposed, John, is to limit purchases to one gun per month.

Ah, a firearms question! Let's see what he has to say.

[Comment From John Henry]
Gov. Patrick, could you please explain how your proposed gun control legislation will reduce firearm violence in Massachusetts?

Expect mostly softballs on any gun issues, as the moderators are going to, at best, not have an opinion. Any interesting questions that get through are going to be about other issues.

Expect mostly softballs on any gun issues, as the moderators are going to, at best, not have an opinion. Any interesting questions that get through are going to be about other issues.
Thanks for your talking points answer! That position is something I could get from any news article written about this whole issue. I'm really glad we had this chat so you can not really tell us anything!

I sent a respectful follow-up question. I'm standing by, breath held.

that one has been up for 7 minutes.... i guess he's trying to fabricate an excuse...

Yes. Someone should tell him just because it's written, doesn't mean he can go off and take his time on it. This is the internet equivalent of putting a questioner on hold.

Follow up question is on guns!
[Comment From Phil Phil: ]
I have a follow up on John Henry’s question. What will subjecting citizens who have already jumped thru multiple hoops to obtain a License to Carry, restrictions on how many guns they can buy help to reduce crime? And there are already laws that can deal with a person making straw purchases. We are not talking about bulk purchases thru illegal means. Again why must you limit what I can buy?

I also submitted a question, before the first one came up. we'll see if he answers. Also, it takes 5-7 minutes for him to answer to minimize the # of answers he has to give.

Phil, law enforcement tell us that lawful bulk purchases often become passthroughs to criminal purchasers. That's why we have proposed this.

Great answer. [rolleyes]

The mods are doing a great job dragging this out, not posting all the gun related questions they are getting, and filling it in with "fluff"

The mods are doing a great job dragging this out, not posting all the gun related questions they are getting, and filling it in with "fluff"

to be fair, I'm sure a lot of peopel are askign a lot of different questions. I'm sure that we arewnt't he only "special interest group" that's asking questions.

I wouldn't really call it fluff. These are some pretty no-BS questions that are being posed. Firearms aren't the only issue that people dislike Patrick because of.

Gov. Patrick, does your administration admit to mishandling the budget? Don't taxpayers at the very least deserve an apology?

Cue the Jeopardy theme. Do-do-do-do-de-de-da-da-da.

Boston.com producer: We're having some technical issues with the governor's ability to response. Please bear with us.

[rofl]

Nothing but crickets on that last question.

i wouldnt really call it fluff, the other questions seem legitimate, and after all, this is a "talk to deval" event, and not a "talk to deval about guns" event... i think we're lucky they've posted as many as they have so far

edit: ochmude beat me to it... [sad] with the same "i wouldnt really call it fluff" comment... Long Lost Twins?

i do like all the attack question's they're throwing his way... i hope he's sweating it..

Great minds [wink]

Edit: Definitely great minds thinking alike. I was actively searching for that same BS flag smiley, lol.

Phil, law enforcement tell us that lawful bulk purchases often become passthroughs to criminal purchasers. That's why we have proposed this.

Great answer. [rolleyes]

IF LAW ENFORCEMENT SAYS IT THEN IT MUST BE TRUE PLEASE PROTECT ME MR PATRICK I AM SCARED OF THE GUN OWNERS.

Incidentally, I am currently in Kentucky (applying for a job here), and the gun restrictions here are basically non-existant. It's like paradise.

Back
Top Bottom