• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gov. Janet Mills’ administration closes Kittery Trading Post, a leading firearms retailer, using emergency powers

The outlet stores do good because of KTP. Not the other way around. Those outlets are nothing special, their prices are not that great and most of the time you are lucky to find more than 4 people shopping in one store.
my wife and daughter go up there before christmas every year to hit the sales. Usually it is not crowded at that time of year, and there are great deals. This LAST christmas, they said "never again". half of the stores were closed, the whole place looked like it was going out of business. Not much stock in the stores too.

other mall outlets have opened up, and that is driving the NYC crowd there instead, especially closer to NYC or in tax free NH.

If KTP moves, Kittery rte 1 will look like one gigantic abandoned strip mall.

The private sale market is flourishing. Lawsuit should be filed soon against the Governor. How are package stores essential and not firearms. I wish they would suspend the hunting regulations and let people go out and bag a few deer and early turkey, that would be appreciated.

my wife and daughter go up there before christmas every year to hit the sales. Usually it is not crowded at that time of year, and there are great deals. This LAST christmas, they said "never again". half of the stores were closed, the whole place looked like it was going out of business. Not much stock in the stores too.

other mall outlets have opened up, and that is driving the NYC crowd there instead, especially closer to NYC or in tax free NH.

With the internet invention outlet stores can easily be more money if it’s all about the $$$$

Im sure they arent. I buy less and less from them each year. If they were tax free id buy more.

Going over to NH for the gun purchase thing is a PIA. My usual once a year or less purchase from KTP is a fairly expensive gun with a 10 percent off coupon, and usually a manufacturer rebate, and some trade cash. Then ill transfer it In NH to save the tax.

This. KTP does a good business, it does because of location, newbies and out of staters and they give a decent trade for store credit, and the occasional smokin deal which keeps guys like me coming there.

I think they still would do well, maybe better if put off of a quick and convient on/off location just across the river or the portsmouth circle.
Certainly would resonate well with cheap f*** gun guys.

The other outlets dont and are just hanging on because the wife or kids go there. Prices were never that good in those stores and wife and kids are shopping online now. Those stores are dying.

Other than that the trip to Maine to do KTP and Cabelas cost too much anyway.
All ammo sales and cheaper guns I do online or if im around shooters outpost.
I only go up there for high dollar guns and trade ins anymore.

Last edited:

Glidden told me a few years ago that there are a set of outlet stores in Lee, MA. I wonder if they might now be capturing a lot of that NYC business instead of Kittery's outlets?

The outlet stores are a fraud anyway, I think it might have been Consumer Reports that exposed them some years ago. Goods aren't close-outs but made special for the cut-rate stores with the brand name and many of the "bargains" aren't really bargains.

The private sale market is flourishing. Lawsuit should be filed soon against the Governor. How are package stores essential and not firearms. I wish they would suspend the hunting regulations and let people go out and bag a few deer and early turkey, that would be appreciated.
The package stores are essential because of the excise tax money the state would lose if they closed them. 😉

I just checked Maine alcohol tax and above the regular sales tax it's between $.60 and $1.24 per gallon of alcoholic beverage sold depending on type. Mass of course has huge taxes on alcoholic beverages as well.

Gotta have that tax revenue.

The package stores are essential because of the excise tax money the state would lose if they closed them. 😉

I just checked Maine alcohol tax and above the regular sales tax it's between $.60 and $1.24 per gallon of alcoholic beverage sold depending on type. Mass of course has huge taxes on alcoholic beverages as well.

Gotta have that tax revenue.

which is why it’s always better to make your own

I know of many gun shops up here that never closed down just because Dr. Zeus told them to. A few more just opened back up after a short shut down. Most are implementing some rules about how many people in store at one time, etc.
I think if KTP wanted to open, they would.
FB_IMG_1563642223645.jpg

I havne't been to Maine in years and years. Is Freeport still a big outlet area??? If so, hard to support 2 of them. esp. so close to NH in the first place.

Wrentham seems to be the epitome of an amazing outlet complex. I don't think it's THAT big, but damn it gets crowded. And it's like Market Basket - you are a minority if you speak English as your first language. I think that's unique and has a geographical limit on what else can prosper in that area. You can't stuff another outlet in. . . .Plainville and have both of them succeed.

I havne't been to Maine in years and years. Is Freeport still a big outlet area??? If so, hard to support 2 of them. esp. so close to NH in the first place.

Wrentham seems to be the epitome of an amazing outlet complex. I don't think it's THAT big, but damn it gets crowded. And it's like Market Basket - you are a minority if you speak English as your first language. I think that's unique and has a geographical limit on what else can prosper in that area. You can't stuff another outlet in. . . .Plainville and have both of them succeed.

yeah.. seems like they bus in a lot of foreign tourists for shopping sprees, especially when the currency exchange rate was in their favor.

I live about 6 miles away, and rarely go there for anything. Went about a month ago to get my teen boy some clothes from American Eagle and wife needed underwear from Bali/Hanes or whatever it's called. Place was fairly empty. But at Christmas, it's a zoo. I don't think the term "outlet" means what it used to. Seems like back in the day, "outlet" meant irregs, overstocks, etc and steep discounts. The Wrentham Outlets is just another outdoor mall.

I know of many gun shops up here that never closed down just because Dr. Zeus told them to. A few more just opened back up after a short shut down. Most are implementing some rules about how many people in store at one time, etc.
I think if KTP wanted to open, they would.
View attachment 343490
Dr. Zaius: "You may not like what you find" if you go to a firearm dealer.

Seems as if "Forbidden Zone" is how firearm prohibitionists view firearm stores.

Some of it IS discounted. But most of those stores have retail storefronts that charge 2-3x as much. Like Polo. Totally not worth it at full retail, but they sell.

But other stores are just stores. Old Navy for sure.

I sent an email but received no response. I called 800-USA-GUNS (800-872-4867) again today and the message has changed. It starts with the same we have given up message but now, it rings through to gun sales. They found the gun I want and I should be able to pick it up in NH when I am ready to buy.

I sent an email but received no response. I called 800-USA-GUNS (800-872-4867) again today and the message has changed. It starts with the same we have given up message but now, it rings through to gun sales. They found the gun I want and I should be able to pick it up in NH when I am ready to buy.
I was probably the guy you spoke with today. Tuesday...( I've manned the phones at the Store the past few days) .I sold a 5100.00 Browning Trap gun today, several handguns to NH Residents, and we did some GunBroker deals to ship out of State.
The store was open for PHONE CALLS ONLY...( NO foot Traffic) .We also began arranging appointments at the Transfer Station in Porstmouth. You called the Store, placed the gun you wanted on a Paid in Full hold, and you've been given a certain time to go do your 4473 and pick up the gun, at the Transfer Station...NH Residents for Handguns and Long guns... ALL OTHER (including Maine Residents, can pay in full for their LONG GUNS ONLY, and then arrange at appointment time to fill out your 4473 and then take posession of your LONG GUN... NO TAXES charged, this Includes Maine Residents! NOW, who is bitching about THAT... LOL....BTW, you can ALSO buy your ammo via the KTP Web Site... Buy and pay for it online, and THEN pull up to the Customer Service door in the rear where the safes are picked up. Call the number given to you, and somebody will place the ammo and goods into your vehicle, and you then drive off.

Hey there Scott.!! I'm the guy who posted that in the NH Firearms Discussion Group... I currently work at KTP too.

I was going to footnote it to give proper credit, but wanted to get it posted quickly. Thanks for sharing the letter, and congrats on getting back to work.

Now, can you get us a NES discount...?

Will there be a limit on how many people are allowed in the store at any given time? Seeing there is a quarantine for non Maine residents.
We are allowed 100 people on the floor, BUT, we're gonna keep the number down to a decent level. Don't worry, nobody is gonna wait a long time. We will come over and assist you personally with all you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom