got to try a Rossi and was pleasantly surprised

I love to try out other peoples guns. Today I was at AFS and an older gentleman let me try his Rossi .357 2" w/ .38 special rounds. I was expecting it to feel like a crappy S&W knockoff, but it proved more accurate and comfortable than the model 642 I used to own.

So what's your experience with Rossi guns and what was the last gun that was better than expected?

I have a Rossi youth mod .22 tube fed pump in stainless. Obviously reliable, but extremely accurate. Crude sights, rough wood, but I've had it for 20? years and don't plan on parting with it.

I had a Rossi 877 .357 2" snub for a little while. A bit rough on the finish (sharp edges and some mis polished surfaces) but functionally it was great. Trigger was crisp and there were no hangups and timing was dead on. I would have no problems trusting my life with one.

I traded it away because

1) I couldn't find a decent holster for it. No one makes a holster specifically for the Rossi. All the generic ones were either too small or too big.

2) the rubber grip it came with was a bit large for my hands. After market grips or even replacement Rossi grips are impossible to get.

The newer Rossi has a lifetime warrantee. I believe they are owned by the same company as Taurus.

Beware the Rossi single shots

One of our club members just bought a .223 and a .243 Rossi single shot 18 1/2 bull barrel rifle and has had some major accuracy problems. The .223 bullets were tumbling right out of the muzzle printing keyholes at 50 yards. He had a gunsmith look it over and told him the muzzle crown was an absolute mess on both guns. He sent them both back.

I got lucky on mine though.

I picked up a Rossi triple threat on sale at dicks for like ~$130. It has a 20ga, 22lr, and 243 barrel. I bought it as a gun to leave up at our place in new hampshire during the summer so we can break some clays, shoot some cans, and take care of any pests on 2 legs or 4 that seem to pose a threat. I dont really have any intentions of using the 243 barrel for anything since its not of much use to me, but other than that Im very very happy with my purchase. Its exactly what i was looking for

I own a Rossi 720 in 44 Special. Love this revolver, one of my favorite guns to shoot. In all the years I have owned it, I have never found a factory holster for it though. But a great gun.

I had a 35202 (equivalent to a Smith J frame) and the thing was built like a tank. Dead accurate with 158 grain loads, shoots a bit low with 110s. You could fix it by filing the front sight (it's a fixed sight model), but I'd rather shoot the 158s anyways. It's also rated for +P from the factory. I found the rubber grips to be awesome on it even though I have small hands, and they absorb a fair amount of recoil.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I had the money.

By the way, the holster issue, I found that an Uncle Mike's IWB made for a Smith 60 worked great.

Everyone seems focused on Rossi's handguns but let me add something about their long guns. I have a Rossi version of the Winchester 92 lever gun. I bought it about 10 years ago and used it for Cowboy Action shooting. I put hundreds upon hundreds of my 45 Colt reloads through it and rarely had any problems. I even used it as part of a gunsmithing course I took, breaking the gun down to every single part and re-assembling it again. They built these guns very well and I love owning mine. The best part was I only paid $200 for it, second hand. I would highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom