Got a Note from Police Department on my Mailbox!?!?

I got my unrestricted LTC this spring in a green town (town A)

I recently signed a lease for an appartment with my girlfriend in a nearby green town (town B)

My primary residence is still town A as I am here 24 hours a day M-F and haven't changed my address to the new town on my drivers license or registration or insurance or anything else, even bills.

Our move in date was a week and a half ago to town B and I will only be spending the weekends in town B

Today there was a note on my mailbox (in an appartment comlex) on plain white paper in a woman's handwriting with my name and reading that I should call officer So and So at the Town B Police Dept. and the telephone #

I called twice and he just got on duty at 4 pm and hasn't been available to answer.

Any idea what this could be about? It seems so strange.

Could they know I signed a lease in there town and be trying to let me know that I should notify them and my current town and criminal history service board soon? [thinking]

Last edited:
I will no worry about it, probably is for a different thing. There is no way that they know your new address unless you told them and even like that, you still have the town A as primary residence.

Probably nothing really bad or they wouldn't leave a note. I had a PD calling my wife one day because an officer recognized my license plate as shooting related and wanted to know where the matches are held.

The only officer So and So listed on the town B website is a man's name and I live 20 mins or so away from the PD in town B. The writing looks very much like that of many womens' but I guess that's not really important.

Anyone ever heard of any PD having a note put on (not in) your mailbox for any reason? Any ideas?

The only officer So and So listed on the town B website is a man's name and I live 20 mins or so away from the PD in town B. The writing looks very much like that of many womens' but I guess that's not really important.

Anyone ever heard of any PD having a note put on (not in) your mailbox for any reason? Any ideas?

Sure.
They have your Policeman's Ball tickets.
You're a suspect in a crime.
You're a witness to a crime.
The police came and checked your house because the door was open.
They have a 209A or summons waiting for you.
A family member has met his fate.
A family member hasn't been able to contact you for a period of time.
Your LTC has been suspended or revoked.
Your dog took a dump on your neighbor's lawn and he complained.

Want me to go on?

Sure.
They have your Policeman's Ball tickets.
You're a suspect in a crime.
You're a witness to a crime.
The police came and checked your house because the door was open.
They have a 209A or summons waiting for you.
A family member has met his fate.
A family member hasn't been able to contact you for a period of time.
Your LTC has been suspended or revoked.
Your dog took a dump on your neighbor's lawn and he complained.

Want me to go on?

Some of those might make sense coming from my PD (in town A), but I signed a lease less than 3 weeks ago and moved my girlfriend's belongings in 10 days ago in town B. My drivers license, registration and everything else is all still listed as town A, and all my belongings are still in my appartment in town A too.

Any idea what this could be about? It seems so strange.

I didn't realize I was in a bad mood, but I will probably sound like I am by my reply...

HOW THE "FRICK" WOULD ANY OF US KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT? SERIOUSLY...

If whatever info (if any) on this note that doesn't tell you what it is about, how could we use that lack of info to tell you what it is about...further is is "addressed" to you? If you just moved there could just as likely be for the previous resident...And why do you think it has to do with your guns/LTC???

Seriously there are infinate reasons a person may have to call the PD...(why do you even think a PO wrote the note???) Does it say call me ofc. XYZ or doe sit just say call ofc. XYZ???

Last edited:
I didn't realize I was in a bad mood, but I will probably sound like I am by my reply...

If whatever info (if any) on this note that doesn't tell you what it is about, how could we use that lack of info to tell you what it is about...further is is "addressed" to you? If you just moved there could just as likely be for the previous resident...And why do you think it has to do with your guns/LTC???

Seriously there are infinate reasons a person may have to call the PD...

It was a general question asking if anyone has had or heard of an experience like this. I obviously wasn't asking if anyone knew specifically what it was about.

Hey Matt... I can't offer any suggestions as I've never heard of this happening to someone else before...

But I sure can't stop watching your avitar.................

Wouldn't it be a federal crime for them to put it in the mailbox? Doesn't that count as mail fraud or something? that might explain the on instead of in question, other then that I have nothing to add.

Wouldn't it be a federal crime for them to put it in the mailbox? Doesn't that count as mail fraud or something? that might explain the on instead of in question, other then that I have nothing to add.

Probably more of a contract violation and the basis of a grievance by the postal workers union.

C'mon... cut the guy some slack. Most of us get nervous any time we get communications from law enforcement, lawyers or the IRS.

I know I do!

:))

Rich

Seriously there are infinate reasons a person may have to call the PD...(why do you even think a PO wrote the note???) Does it say call me ofc. XYZ or doe sit just say call ofc. XYZ???

Finally got through to the PD and spoke to the officer listed on the note. One of the neighbors at the new apartment complex saw me take a picture of the exterior of the new building. They took down my license plate # and called the PD afraid I might be a pedaphile or a burglar! I told him my girlfriend was new to the complex and I took a picture with my cell phone of the building with the ocean in the background to send family members.

The officer was very polite and understanding and said it was no big deal and I have every right to take pictures. He said it was a tight knit community and they were just looking out for one another.

PS He had the fire department of my primary residence (town A) swing by and leave the mysterious note.

It is indeed a crime for anyone but the mailman to put anything in the box...even if there is postage on it.

Maybe the new landlord wants to serve you a restraining order to keep your guns out. LOL

If the neighbors are calling the cops on you taking pictures, are you sure you want to live in that building? Whats going to happen when you start to shoot the squirrels out of the trees with your .22 from the window?

glad it turned out to be a non-issue

Finally got through to the PD and spoke to the officer listed on the note. One of the neighbors at the new apartment complex saw me take a picture of the exterior of the new building. They took down my license plate # and called the PD afraid I might be a pedaphile or a burglar! I told him my girlfriend was new to the complex and I took a picture with my cell phone of the building with the ocean in the background to send family members.

The officer was very polite and understanding and said it was no big deal and I have every right to take pictures. He said it was a tight knit community and they were just looking out for one another.

PS He had the fire department of my primary residence (town A) swing by and leave the mysterious note.

If I was you, I wouldn't renew that new lease. Someone with lots of time on their hands is a real busy body.

.......One of the neighbors at the new apartment complex saw me take a picture of the exterior of the new building. They took down my license plate # and called the PD afraid I might be a pedaphile or a burglar!....... He said it was a tight knit community and they were just looking out for one another.

You have a neighbor from hell .

If I was you, I wouldn't renew that new lease. Someone with lots of time on their hands is a real busy body.

Well, we have a year to see how living there goes. At least the PD knows that I'm on a lease there so they can tell Betty Busybody it's one of her neighbors that keeps looking at his watch or whatever happens next. I know, I know..... "How do I know it was a woman that called the PD"? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom