• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got a Colt Python. Now what?

Been shooting mine for years and the only thing I ever had to replace is the firing pin.

I am not the original owner, so not sure how many rounds down the barrel before I got it.

I got mine before they became expensive, but I would never sell it for any price.

Last edited:
I bought a new to me Python, which is real nice. Does it need anything before I take it to the range? Anything that I should look for so it doesn’t break?
What size did you get? Show us a picture. I went with the 6” and it’s a great shooter. Handles full power .357 with no problem. .38 special feels like shooting a .22

Oh don't worry. With that beauty in your hands, you're sure to get some action.

Just relish the fine craftsmanship and enjoy that wonderful classic gun.

Congratulations!
I couldn’t get that commie taste out of my mouth….and I’m an AK guy…

Fool me once….

I'm confused. If you bought a gun that you think may break why did you even buy it?

I bought a new to me Python, which is real nice. Does it need anything before I take it to the range? Anything that I should look for so it doesn’t break?
Go Blue College Basketball GIF by Basketball Madness

I just got a 2020 series as well. The rear sight it junk, take a look Wilson combat. The front site is okay, but could be replaced. The SA is a bit rough, but the DA is okay (but heavy). If you wanted to trick it out with a trigger job, the only name I've heard is good is backed-up until 2025. Other than that, shoot it. It will start to easy up more as it breaks in and the parts rub down. There is a thread in Colt forum about putting a drop of dry silicon down the action to slick things up.

I just got a 2020 series as well. The rear sight it junk, take a look Wilson combat. The front site is okay, but could be replaced. The SA is a bit rough, but the DA is okay (but heavy). If you wanted to trick it out with a trigger job, the only name I've heard is good is backed-up until 2025. Other than that, shoot it. It will start to easy up more as it breaks in and the parts rub down. There is a thread in Colt forum about putting a drop of dry silicon down the action to slick things up.
Thanks, that's kinda what I was looking for - any particular lubing or break-in that I should look out for.

Break in is just shooting it. You can get some snap caps and dry fire it a bunch. The thing with the 2020 series is how Colt had to modify the seat slightly to pass the CA drop test (kind of like what MA requires). From what I read, there is a slight edge now on the seat that causes the single action to kind of suck. But you will start to feel better action after about 1000 trigger pulls where the metal start to wear down any factory burrs.

I haven’t tried it yet, but folks said dropping a couple of bits of the below in the trigger action helped reduce pull by 1 pound. Pull back the hammer and then drip it in lightly.

Finish Line Ceramic Wax Bicycle Chain Lube​

The last thing, there are a couple of YouTube’s on this, see how far the hammer goes back in double action vs how far it locks back in single action. Pretty noticeable difference. This has been the cause of some light strikes with hand loads that use hard primers in DA shots.

Only real thing you can do to break it is that movie thing where you spin the cylinder when it is load and then slam it shut…Russian roulette style. That will eventually throw the timing off. This is a weak part of the pistol compared to a SW revo. Generally you shouldn’t do this with any revolver.

Back
Top Bottom