Goodbye takedown detent spring

I once lost a spring from the guide rod of a 1911. The bushing bounced off the ceiling and landed on the bench but the spring disappeared. A call to Brownells sent along a new spring. A year or so later, I was repairing the sill plate over my foundation that had rotted from a leaky storm door. Guess what I found sitting neatly on the concrete?

Chris

I think it was the second time I broke my 1911 down . Spring and cup thing went flying . Hit two walls the the back of my step dads head. Lol .

I read a story about a guy buy a new 1911 took it home to oil it ........
Bought a new flat screen tv the next day . Lol the photo was funny seeing the spring cup stuck in the screen.

For the rear takedown I tap the hole and put in a 1/8 4 40 set screw. You can change stocks at will without worrying about losing that spring anymore. The "most wanted" kit has saved my ass more times than I care to admit. Time to order another one !!!!

I sucked it up and added one of these to my replacement pin order:
PIVOT PIN DETENT INSTALLATION TOOL | Brownells
p_080216011_1.jpg

Haven't lost one since.

You will always find it when you're not looking.

-Proud to be a licensed plumber most days, wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I use a razor blade to hold everything in place while i slide the pin in place, might work for you

I was tempted to try this. I saw that Gavin on Ultimate Reloaders took the edge off a single-edged razor and used that to hold the spring and detent in place. I wound up finding a scraper with a really thin blade at the hardware store that works. The scraper is about 1" wide and has a handle on it making it easier to work with that the razor.

I was tempted to try this. I saw that Gavin on Ultimate Reloaders took the edge off a single-edged razor and used that to hold the spring and detent in place. I wound up finding a scraper with a really thin blade at the hardware store that works. The scraper is about 1" wide and has a handle on it making it easier to work with that the razor.

I use a pocket knife (same idea) after the first couple you get pretty good at it...

oh and i once saw a buffer detent fly accross a room and land in the center hole of a wine rack... those things are senaky! i cant take credit for launching it or finding it but it was quite the shot!

Yup I learned to have extra springs and detents on hand. I am down a few I hope to find at leat one if them someday. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A fellow member, ntomsw, helped me out when I launched mine off the chandelier then the fridge never to be seen again. I live in Somerset and work in Taunton. If you still need one just let me know.

I swear that they actually vanish, like into another dimension, when the launch. No joke.

I was putting my lower together in a small, unused room. Nothing in the room besides me, the lower, and the parts. Door shut. Floor cleaned. I figured, if a spring flies, I'll be able to find it. A spring flew. I never found it. Such a slap in the face.

Back
Top Bottom