• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Goodbye takedown detent spring

That thing went flying!

working on my first build, had to order some additional pins, added some extra springs to the order too!

That thing went flying!

working on my first build, had to order some additional pins, added some extra springs to the order too!
Good call. I have a "Most Wanted Kit” are: Pivot Pin Detents (4); Pivot Pin Detent Springs (4); Safety Detents (2); Safety Detent Springs (2); Firing Pin Retaining Pins (2); Buffer Detents (2); Buffer Detent Springs (2); Extractor Springs (2); Extractor Spring Inserts (2); Extractor O-Rings (2). With this Kit, you’ll never be troubled by the loss of "Most Wanted Parts” again!
It has saved me a couple of times. I have ended up finding the pars, days later, but it allowed me to be up and running in the mean time.

Lost the detent on my DGW lower build and spent two hours trying to find it. Never heard it land after launch and eventually found it up on a shelf after looking on every part of my basement floor.

-Trolling via S3.-

Feeler gauge, razor blade, or even an allen wrench works wonders at getting this in on the first try and not losing it.

We've all done it before my friend...

Just recently finished my first lower and you can add my name to the list. The front went together just fine using the razor blade method. It was the rear that got me. Turned the plate just a little to much and boing. I tried finding it down on my hands and knees with a flashlight but with no success. The next day I bought a telescoping magnet and slid it around where I seen it fly and low and behold I found it between the drywall and the cement floor of my cellar. I'll be investing in a parts kit.

I hate when that happens! I always keep an extra set of springs just for that reason.

I feel your pain. [sad]

Done it too. Also almost just took my eye out with a buffer retainer that sprung up while trying to put a PWS enhanced tube on. Those tubes are tricky.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I did it one my first build but it shot back and landed in the parts kit box.

Then I lost one of my brothers . when i was assembling his. I found a drill bit and made it in to a detent lol. Shhhhh he don't know .

Last edited:
I've used the telescoping magnet. Found my spring, plus some other random screws and nails.

A 1/4" clevis pin. It was recomended on another post - just needed to give it a light sanding so it fit into the pivot pin hole. I have never had a detent or spring launch ever again. Its much cheaper than the tool that is designed for this step - like less that $2 at Lowes.

Yep welcome to the club. Amazing how fast these things launch. [laugh]

Once I found it I was more delighted than buying a new firearm. [rofl]

Always a test...is it harder to find .223 ammo or that damn spring on my basement floor?

We now crack out the big ziplock for every lower build!

Like others have said, a razor blade is PERFECT for this. It's the only way I do it, the pin can slide by while you hold the spring back.

Last week I was helping a buddy and sent the rear one flying while we were trying to get the buffer tube end plate down...whoops. Took four guys about 10 minutes to finally find the spring...

Anyone who has built an AR most likely has some in orbit. Welcome to the club

I was thinking lodged in the ceiling, but whatever works. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Always a test...is it harder to find .223 ammo or that damn spring on my basement floor?

The question is, if you dropped your spring and your contact... which would you find first!

Plastic containment room just large enough to stand in. Parts bounce off plastic walls and land on plastic floor. Magnet-on-a-stick to retrieve. Done.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Plastic containment room just large enough to stand in. Parts bounce off plastic walls and land on plastic floor. Magnet-on-a-stick to retrieve. Done.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

I have a large plastic bin which I'm going to make into a gun box. My plan is to screw or bolt the lid to the "front" so that parts will tend to bounce in that direction and then (hopefully) back into the box itself. We'll see.

On my previous AR build I launched the detent itself across the room. Amazingly I found it. However then launched the spring and didn't find it. I ended up buying a new detent kit with springs so I have spares. Just in case.

I once lost a spring from the guide rod of a 1911. The bushing bounced off the ceiling and landed on the bench but the spring disappeared. A call to Brownells sent along a new spring. A year or so later, I was repairing the sill plate over my foundation that had rotted from a leaky storm door. Guess what I found sitting neatly on the concrete?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom