Golf or shooting ?

I was a fairly active golfer for many years. I shot between high 80's to high 90's. My scores never changed much during my many years of golf. The difference between a good day and a bad one was about 10 strokes.
I have been shooting high power rifle for about 1 year, and my scores are rising faster than ever compared to golf. Today topped it for me. My wife beat me by 6 strokes and I shot a 113 at Atkinson. I think my new passion will be the rifle instead of the club. I will still venture to the course from time to time, but the range is where I think I fit best.
Mike

Last edited:
My wife beat me by 6 strokes and I shot a 113 at Atkinson.

What are you going to do if she smokes you on the range? Knitting? [smile]

I feel your pain as well. A few years ago, I was playing 9 every single morning before work and at least 2-4 rounds a week. My handicap went from a 21 to an 11...I haven't played in so long that I lent out my clubs - I can't even fathom how far into the 90's/100's I'd be now...

I skipped the Gay Pride rally in Hamp to play golf Sunday. Shot 75. Can't hit a small barn with a gun.

I actually like playing a round of golf. I belong to a work league and I'll typically hit a course for 18 on the weekend as well. While I enjoy going to the range as much as possible, I also enjoy the competition and skill needed to have a decent round of golf. I have been able to whittle my handicap down to a 13 last year, but the winter has left me rusty and I'm struggling a little with my chipping right now. Eh, it'll come around. That's the great thing about life, you can have multiple hobbies and enjoy them all!

A Golf Course is a deliberate mis-use of a perfectly good shooting range.

The last thing I want to do after hitting a little white ball 250-300 yards into the grass (or the woods) is go chase after it.

Next time you're at the driving range, ask if they have retired golf balls - they do make great targets. They leave a satisfying little white cloud when they're hit.

All that said, good luck with the golf game, sounds like it was a tough winter.

One thing I always wanted to do is find a nice big open feild and do shot chipping and shooting...
chip it then you have to hit the ball where ever it lands. Best of both worlds (though I need a long gun better then a .22 if I am going to get more then 150 yds)

One thing I always wanted to do is find a nice big open feild and do shot chipping and shooting...
chip it then you have to hit the ball where ever it lands. Best of both worlds (though I need a long gun better then a .22 if I am going to get more then 150 yds)

150 yards is a heck of a chip shot.

150 yards is a heck of a chip shot.

sorry to say but my DRIVE is about 150 yds...
my I can hit a pitching wedge about 100...
to prove a point I did hit of the pin with a putter and STILL rolled it 60yds :(

I REALLY need to practice more, but do I spend money on ammo or driving range?

Hovered around scratch golfer for many years. Go generally 2 times a year now and still can put up a good round here and there. I prefer to go to shoot guns much more now.

A Golf Course is a deliberate mis-use of a perfectly good shooting range.

The last thing I want to do after hitting a little white ball 250-300 yards into the grass (or the woods) is go chase after it.

Next time you're at the driving range, ask if they have retired golf balls - they do make great targets. They leave a satisfying little white cloud when they're hit.

All that said, good luck with the golf game, sounds like it was a tough winter.

I like the way you think, and I feel the same way! In fact last time we took the kids to a driving range, I got very depressed thinking about how much I wished I had a rifle (or 5) to hit all of those perfectly good reactive targets instead of a damn driver![laugh]

Back
Top Bottom