• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Bucks don’t work on anything under the bullion category though, right?

Yeah you have to find exceptions. Not many left, only ones I know are from APMEX, stuff like St Gaudens qualify.

If I find any deals I post them in here.

This is an example but not a great deal. Days of $1700 1 oz coins may be gone for good.

It’s not graded but I’d rather a combibar (in oz not grams no less) and save some money.

It’s not graded but I’d rather a combibar (in oz not grams no less) and save some money.

Thats pretty cool. I don’t care about grading either except if it’s something old like the St Gaudens.

Thats pretty cool. I don’t care about grading either except if it’s something old like the St Gaudens.

Can't believe they're going for the same price as eagles and cheaper than buffalos. I thought the combibars always pulled a higher premium.

Could someone remind me - do PM sellers keep track of total quantity purchased in a given year for tax reporting purposes? I seem to recall a local shop wanting my name when I purchased an ounce. When I asked why he said something about having to report cumulative transactions in a year over some amount. Maybe something about it being tax free over $1k but also under $X,000?

Can't believe they're going for the same price as eagles and cheaper than buffalos. I thought the combibars always pulled a higher premium.

I don’t know but right now it’s all about supply shortages, and the US mint is taking itself down this spring so there will be extreme shortages of US mint products.

Could someone remind me - do PM sellers keep track of total quantity purchased in a given year for tax reporting purposes? I seem to recall a local shop wanting my name when I purchased an ounce. When I asked why he said something about having to report cumulative transactions in a year over some amount. Maybe something about it being tax free over $1k but also under $X,000?
Gaudens contain .9675 ounces of gold, not 1.0000

There are hordes of common date Gaudens in Eurpoean banks because bask when US gold was redeemable for cash the treasury could cough up a Gauden for a $20 or 1.0 ounces of gold, so foreign banks redeeming cash got coins. It is counter-intuitive but many common date Gaudens in less that conditions like MS69/70 have great intrinsic but little numistmatic value.

As to woke trivia - the large plaque across from the Boston Statehouse (the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial) [might be out for restoration] was done by Gaudens, but is under attack because the white officer is on a horse and the black soldiers are on foot.

Gaudens contain .9675 ounces of gold, not 1.0000

There are hordes of common date Gaudens in Eurpoean banks because bask when US gold was redeemable for cash the treasury could cough up a Gauden for a $20 or 1.0 ounces of gold, so foreign banks redeeming cash got coins. It is counter-intuitive but many common date Gaudens in less that conditions like MS69/70 have great intrinsic but little numistmatic value.

As to woke trivia - the large plaque across from the Boston Statehouse (the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial) [might be out for restoration] was done by Gaudens, but is under attack because the white officer is on a horse and the black soldiers are on foot.

I think he was asking about why the Combi isn’t more than a Buffalo?

The Gaudens you used to be able to get under spot with Ebay Bucks, now ones like I posted are $200 over spot with Bucks, so I don’t consider that a good deal. The shortage has affected everything, and demand probably won’t drop before gold bottoms and starts heading back to $2000+.

I think he was asking about why the Combi isn’t more than a Buffalo?
Sovereign coins traditionally carry a premium over private mintings and bullion of similar weight. Would you pay more for a brand name round or bar(Apmex, Sunshine, Pamp, etc.) or for an Eagle, Buffalo or Maple? I know my answer.

Last edited:
Sure, but my point was about the combibars historically having carried a higher premium than the sovereign stuff. Some people valued the divisibility (or maybe the novelty?) over whatever difference in confidence (tax treatment?) they got from a sovereign coin.

I pay more for historical gold coins because that’s what I enjoy owning. Some folks may prefer volume of gold because that’s what they enjoy owning. I don’t think there is a right/wrong answer here so long as you know what you are buying and have some strategy behind why you are buying it.

Right now anything you can buy in the retail market is very expensive due to crazy demand.

However you can buy $100 million in paper gold easily, they'll print as much of that as you like.

That's why spot/futures is $1700 and a gold Eagle is $2000+.

IIRC all the gold ever mined on earth would fit into an 75'x75'x75' cube. That's a small office building.

Most goes to jewelry. Almost 50%. 20% or so is held in private investment. Another 20% in government reserves.

It works out to about 200,000 tonnes. Current estimates are that about 50,000 tonnes are in ground reserves. Unless large new deposits are found there's not much left. And what is left is increasingly difficult and costly to mine.

Last edited:
Most gold is in the ocean with our current knowledge. It's just to diffuse to collect.

It's more likely now that precious metals will be mined off the Earth.

Back
Top Bottom