Gold and silver prices are down

I think maybe silver stocks double bottomed today, hitting the Jan 27 lows, but just my gut feel.

gold stocks are bottoming for sure. Eskay is up 20% already.
That Eskay grab was a good one for sure. That will become a great company if they don’t get snatched up via M&A.

Last edited:
IMO PMs are severely undervalued and $200 premium/ounce of gold isn’t stopping me from buying.

I think the tide will soon turn in the crypto/pm debate. The only assets outside of the system are the ones in your hand. Anything digital is either known or knowable. I’m increasingly hearing this “secret” being discussed.

I don't buy gold coins but I looked at APMEX and they are going for $200 above spot.

Is that insane?

It's an unusual situation where Covid reduced capacity at the mints, and demand shot up for various reasons. So it's normal that premiums would go up despite the spot price going down.

The capacity issues should be ending, but demand is still sky high, and there's stories that the large Comex bars are also getting scarce - you can order large bars (premiums are also very high on those), and they say you'll get April or May delivery. Yet the spot price goes down - that's the paper market, they can suppress prices - but eventually the demand will overcome the suppression efforts - like what happened to palladium, which doubled in price when demand overcame the Comex paper market's control of prices.

Gold might not bounce until interest rates stop going up, or until the CPI starts to show the inflation that’s obvious everywhere else.

The correlation between gold and real inflation as measured by TIPS is really strong. The TIPs in the chart is 10 year yield (1.6% this morning) minus inflation expectations (around 1.4%).

D008CD6C-7EC3-4B71-BC15-4BE967F07257.png

Sell the AXU 19 Mar 2021 $2.50 puts for 15¢ and you'll possibly buy in at an adjusted cost of $2.35 per share.
You will not be assigned these shares, if it soars above $2.50 in the next 10 days.

Well, 19 Feb has come and gone. Let's close the books on posts #5299 (HL) and #5301 (AG)...
Both positions expired out-of-the-money, so you ended up with your premiums intact. No further obligation, your credit balances are free to trade again.

Good time to get back in AXU, me thinks?

Its $2.5 right now, that’s certain a solid price, but I think there’s a decent chance the correction is not over. It could see $2.25 or worst case $2.
if silver breaches $30 and goes to $35, you won’t care which price you got, cause AXU will be $4-5.

There are also some silver juniors I like better than AXU:
Discovery Metals, Aftermath Silver, Dolly Varden Silver, Bear Creek Mining.

But these are all higher risk, higher return, more volatile.

Its $2.5 right now, that’s certain a solid price, but I think there’s a decent chance the correction is not over. It could see $2.25 or worst case $2.
if silver breaches $30 and goes to $35, you won’t care which price you got, cause AXU will be $4-5.

There are also some silver juniors I like better than AXU:
Discovery Metals, Aftermath Silver, Dolly Varden Silver, Bear Creek Mining.

But these are all higher risk, higher return, more volatile.
If I only had a ton more cash on 3/5. Those were some excellent prices.

If I only had a ton more cash on 3/5. Those were some excellent prices.

Me too, I even sold some stocks to rotate the money into better stuff that was on sale. I sold a small amount of Great Bear, should have sold more.

I think we may see those prices again soon though, at least for silver stocks if not gold stocks. The 10 year is still lurking at 1.56%, it's had a big run and may pull back a bit but if it pushes back above 1.6% I think the metals (and stocks) will go back down.

When the gold and silver miners have bottomed I think you'll see 10-20% gains in individual stocks, not 4% like today (so far).

Good time to get back in AXU, me thinks?

If you're not going to use the options route then put in a stink bid for AXU or whatever - the miners usually V bottom - AXU hit $2.25 last week for a few minutes. It's usually easy to see good stink bid prices by looking at the charts. For AXU I'd use $2.25 or $2 ($2.01 to make sure it hits).

If you're not going to use the options route then put in a stink bid for AXU or whatever - the miners usually V bottom - AXU hit $2.25 last week for a few minutes. It's usually easy to see good stink bid prices by looking at the charts. For AXU I'd use $2.25 or $2 ($2.01 to make sure it hits).
Good point

Weak rally in gold and gold stocks so far, if we don’t have a strong move up I think we will have more downside in gold and miners. Silver will probably follow, especially if commodities pull back.

depends on interest rates, but I think the 10 year will keep going up, hurting gold and eventually the stock market.

If we get a surprise increase in CPI inflation numbers, the gold correction will be over.

And they’ll wait til you find the gold before they nationalize your mine.
I'm waiting for various country to do this to all of China's 'investments' and the inevitable armed conflicts over the CCP attempting to maintain their colonial possession. Why do I get the feeling we will be their mercenary debt collectors?

I'm waiting for various country to do this to all of China's 'investments' and the inevitable armed conflicts over the CCP attempting to maintain their colonial possession. Why do I get the feeling we will be their mercenary debt collectors?

There’s a misconception that Biden is a friend of China. Yes the Dems were China butt buddies I’m the past, but recently China has started to openly threaten the US petro dollar hegemony - and that puts you up there with Saddam and Syria as Enemy #1. Nothing would threaten the Democrat’s goals of all encompassing more than a collapse in the dollar.

There’s a misconception that Biden is a friend of China. Yes the Dems were China butt buddies I’m the past, but recently China has started to openly threaten the US petro dollar hegemony - and that puts you up there with Saddam and Syria as Enemy #1. Nothing would threaten the Democrat’s goals of all encompassing more than a collapse in the dollar.
I'll believe it when every position in government isn't being filled with people on the CCP's payroll.

At the rate we are spending towards Weimar style hyperinflation I think private ownership of precious metals is going to get banned again, since FDR's bad ideas are in vogue again.

I'll believe it when every position in government isn't being filled with people on the CCP's payroll.

At the rate we are spending towards Weimar style hyperinflation I think private ownership of precious metals is going to get banned again, since FDR's bad ideas are in vogue again.

Yeah but when they tell everyone to sell their gold to the government, no one will fall for it this time.

AXU hanging steady around $2.50 a share. 6 more days to go on the 19 March contracts. It looks like I may have to roll this one forward or simply let it go and use the funds elsewhere. We shall see next week.

BTW, does anyone here have the power spike the price of gold higher and drop the S&P 500 by 15% or more tomorrow? Thanks!

AXU hanging steady around $2.50 a share. 6 more days to go on the 19 March contracts. It looks like I may have to roll this one forward or simply let it go and use the funds elsewhere. We shall see next week.

BTW, does anyone here have the power spike the price of gold higher and drop the S&P 500 by 15% or more tomorrow? Thanks!

I think we could definitely see a big movement in PM stocks over the next 6 days. Just not sure up or down. Gold miners are now diverging - some are going up like they've bottomed, others are not. Definitely a bottoming process. Silver stocks are totally confused, unsure if they should follow gold miners or industrial metals.

I still have a few limit orders out there. Avino at .90 which it almost hit I think last week. USAS at 2.30 and like 5 more.

They all got close not long ago.... If I don't get them then so be it.

No more impulsive buys for me. I'm getting hammered by LODE. I bought at the height of $5. Although in premarket yesterday it shot up to like $6 and then nose dived.

I still have a few limit orders out there. Avino at .90 which it almost hit I think last week. USAS at 2.30 and like 5 more.

They all got close not long ago.... If I don't get them then so be it.

No more impulsive buys for me. I'm getting hammered by LODE. I bought at the height of $5. Although in premarket yesterday it shot up to like $6 and then nose dived.

The 10 year shot up over 1.6% this pre market; this could cause that gold retest of $1670 or so. Gold is already down $22. Your bids could get triggered.

Gold miners are holding up well so far, but watch out if the general stock market rolls over, that could be the driver to take miners down. Gold might actually go up though if fear returns to the market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom