Going to PD to file LTC app tips

Hey guys, I'm newest of the new here.
I'm a life-long resident of MA, but have spent every summer as a kid-thru-teenager going down to my relatives down in TN and shooting for weeks at a time. I recently rekindled my interest in firearms and want to honor my grandfather by getting my LTC, though I'm not looking to carry often if at all.

I just finished my hadgun safety course from Rich Laberte out of the Medford PD (which was awesome, highly recommended). Didn't learn any new safety tips that my grandfather hadn't drilled into me EVERY time we shot on his property, but learned EVERYTHING about the legal issues regarding firearms in MA.

But now comes the difficult part, in my mind anyways.

I have the application, gonna fill it out today (sat dec 12) and want to go to Stoneham PD.
Does anybody know if I'd have to see the Chief specifically?
Would he even be in on a weekend?
Anybody with Stoneham PD experience?
I've been told to not give them any warning and just show up, money/app-in-hand, and do it to it.
Basically I don't want to waste a trip there and I'm looking for tips of what to say, not to say, how to make sure I get that Class A. *just re-read that line and didn't mean to rhyme [grin]*

Any and all tips/info would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats and welcome. I have no first-hand knowledge about Stoneham, but it is listed as "Green" so you should be OK. You might want to try searching the forums for folks who went before you. Good luck! [cheers]

I had looked previously on this site and saw that Stoneham was green

HOWEVER

We've gotten a new Chief in the past year or two from.....(sigh) The Peoples Republic of Cambridge

In lieu of flowers, please donate to either my Glock or Sig fund

swing over by Collectors and ask them if they have any insight, tell them you are applying and hope to be back soon to start purchasing toys.

Drop off the app with the check, do not let anyone make you change your application from LTC A to anything less!

swing over by Collectors and ask them if they have any insight, tell them you are applying and hope to be back soon to start purchasing toys.

Drop off the app with the check, do not let anyone make you change your application from LTC A to anything less!

This is what I'm talking about! Precisely the kind of advice I need.
I've been over to the collectors gallery the day after Thanksgiving. That's actually how I got my Safety Course lined up. The following saturday I had my cert.

I work as a UPS package car driver, so hopefully I can do this liscensing stuff on the weekends, cuz I am BUSY during the week!

PD to file

Note:

You might be better off calling ahead. Most PD's have specific hours for accepting applications.

They DO NOT accept walk-ins!!

My town was pretty generous; Sat thru Wed 8:00 AM to 2:00PM.

Just got back from Collectors Gallery, after failing my trucks inspection cuz of an exhaust leak, and found out that Stoneham does their liscensing mon-fri 7:30-2ish.

They said that the guy who does it, Tom Marshall, might be able to work with me on setting up a time seeing as I won't be able to get a day off til late Jan-Feb.
I'm gonna give them a call and see what the dealio is

Welcome! Remember, it's an interview. Dress and act the part, and don't answer any questions you are not asked. Good luck!

1. Keep a copy of the application you prepared;

2. Read the MIRCs version BEFORE you sign it; and

3. Get a copy of the MIRCs version.

I just noticed that on My paperwork for my LTC it says I must write a letter to the Chief of Police in my Town outlining the reasons that I want an unrestricted LTC. Anyone ever had to write out a letter with their reasons. I mean obviously the easy way is to say for all lawful purposes, but I'm thinking that they make people write the letter so that way they can find something in what they wrote to tell them that they don't need it. Anyone got any reccomendations as to what I should write in that letter so I don't write my self into a Class A Target restriction?

To me the most difficult part is when people say "put down on the app for reason applying, "protection of life"" I mean, if some cop reads that, he's prolly gonna ask me to elaborate. What else do I say?
I want my Class A high cap because not only do I love guns, but I don't want to be limited in anyway. Am I gonna carry? Prolly not. But I want to have the option of 15 shots instead of 10. I know I wouldn't need that many if it were a life and death situation, but again I don't want to be restricted.
I hope to God I never have to point a firearm at anybody and I know that everyone on this board feels the same way. But I hate the fact that I have to give reasons for wanting a 10+ round firearm.

So I've put down for reason: Protection of life.
What happens if the cop wants more info? Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom