GOAL, many P.D.'s and the CHSB are out of FA10s

Well, the interim form is now online at the CHSB, but it doesn't look as good as the one we produced!

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/FA10.pdf

Good job, guys!

Missed it in all of the other posts. Thanks

You missed an exciting show. We even determined that CHSB used the file Center442 uploaded and put it on their site. I should have DVRed it for you [wink].

EDIT: Well, not "we". I didn't participate in the investigative process, just watched.

Last edited:
Maybe Center442 should send an invoice to the Commonwealth for all his work in putting that masterpiece together.

So, now that it's been provided by the director, I'll repost what I removed earlier:

He can't un-provide it, so barring some future legislative change nullifying this, we can just keep submitting transfers even after they say "no more," right? We're still complying with the letter of the law, no?

You missed an exciting show. We even determined that CHSB used the file Center442 uploaded and put it on their site. I should have DVRed it for you [wink].

EDIT: Well, not "we". I didn't participate in the investigative process, just watched.

We're all brothers (and sisters) here so we is perfectly fine. [thumbsup]

He can't un-provide it, so barring some future legislative change nullifying this, we can just keep submitting transfers even after they say "no more," right? We're still complying with the letter of the law, no?

What part of "interim" do you not understand?

NORTHEASTSHOOTERS.COM - Such a premier shooting forum that the MA CHSB reads it and copies posted files from it!

You've done it, Derek. The state uses this forum for information and files! Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!!!!!

[cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers]

NORTHEASTSHOOTERS.COM - Such a premier shooting forum that the MA CHSB reads it and copies posted files from it!

You've done it, Derek. The state uses this forum for information and files! Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!!!!!

[cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers]

yup and what else do they use it for?

Just be careful what you say or advocate here.

There's no reason they cannot get a serialized number when scanned - whether stamped, bates numbers, or just the file name of the scan.

I think that self-inking, self-incrementing serial number stampers are available from business supply stores. I seem to remember seeing one such some years ago and thinking to myself how cool it was that it incremented the number each time something was stamped.

He understands interim about as well as you understand tact.

maptarget.gif

Everyone,

Thanks for the help, for the calls, e-mails, and everything else done to force action.

There will be more to this story, stay tuned

Please use this interim FA-10 form to record a firearms transaction pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §§ 128A and 128B. Please note, no alternate forms will be accepted.

Over the past 6 months, CHSB has been developing a web-based firearms transaction application to allow for the electronic submission of FA-10’s. This application is currently in the testing phase and will replace the paper reporting system once it is available online.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_forms&csid=Eeops

Please use this interim FA-10 form to record a firearms transaction pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §§ 128A and 128B. Please note, no alternate forms will be accepted.

Over the past 6 months, CHSB has been developing a web-based firearms transaction application to allow for the electronic submission of FA-10’s. This application is currently in the testing phase and will replace the paper reporting system once it is available online.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_forms&csid=Eeops

welcome to the party....a day late.

I understand "interim" perfectly, thank you. But what CHSB wants and what the law states are potentially two distinctly different things. The law, as written, does not say "interim." It's why I asked.

The statute says "provided by the director." The director has provided forms.

Just what do you perceive as the burning legal crisis?

Last edited:
Fa-10 forms

Just read a note on C/L about Fa-10 forms. Sorry, if this has been previously posted to this thread, just wanted to add if not.

"Firearm Transfer Reporting Alert

April 26, 2010

Gun Owners' Action League (GOAL) has received several calls regarding the scarcity of the state firearm transfer reporting form commonly referred to as the FA-10 form. GOAL would like to inform all of our members that the state has contacted us and informed us of the following:

· The contractor who was hired to produce the FA-10 forms for the Commonwealth has chosen to no longer be eligible as a state vendor;

· This original contractor maintains the legal rights to the existing FA-10 forms. Subsequently, no other company is allowed to take the formatting/template from them and reproduce it;

· The state is currently seeking another company to produce a similar form, but must do so through a state approved bidding process which is a timely process;

· The computer system that scans the information from the current FA-10 forms will not function with photocopies. As a result, the state has told us that any photocopied FA-10 forms will most likely be rejected. (Keep in mind that the law requires us to use forms furnished by the executive director of the criminal history systems board.)

With the lack of FA-10 forms and uncertainty of when new forms will be available, the Firearms Record Bureau is recommending that transfers be delayed until forms are available or have them done through a licensed state firearms dealer through the computerized Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS).

GOAL will continue to look into the matter and if it is not resolved immediately we may seek emergency legislation repealing the reporting requirement. We will alert our members to any changes. We would urge any members experiencing problems obtaining an FA-10 form to contact their state legislators and report the problem. This most recent matter is yet another reason for the legislature to pass H.2259 GOAL's Civil Rights and Public Safety Act reforming Massachusetts gun laws.

Back
Top Bottom