• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL and the Outdoor Message - What the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal here? So some weeks ago there was a thread about the Outdoor Message not being owned by GOAL – which shocked the hell out of me. I mean I assumed etc etc. So looking at the membership application for GOAL it says almost $8 of every annual membership fee goes to the Outdoor Message. That's something like $90,000 a year!

Have you SEEN the Outdoor Message? GOAL's got like what, four pages? The rest is gunclub news and ads. I CHECKED with my club (who has a page). They PAY for that space.

So the Outdoor Message gets paid by the clubs. I assume they make money off those ads AND they get $90k from GOAL on top of that? Someone please tell me I'm doing the math wrong here because that seems, to me at least, to be a poor use of GOAL's funds. I mean does anyone actually READ the Outdoor Message?

Last edited:
I breeze through it, usually only focus on the front page. It probably costs less to get a few pages in the outdoor message than to produce their own publication.

Is it worth $1875 a page? Because that's what 90k for 4 pages 12 times a year works out to.

I mean does anyone actually READ the Outdoor Message?

I don't know about anything else here, but I can answer that question. No.

I'm also kind of shocked to hear that it's not a GOAL publication. I thought it was, and that the ad-space was theirs, so I never criticized it. If it's not GOALs, then why am I receiving it? Who else receives it other than GOAL members? Is it a publication that you can buy at a newsstand somewhere?

I thought it was a GOAL publication too..I would prefer to have them spend the money on other things such as a billboard or educational programs.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I mean the people reading it ALREADY support gun rights. What about using the cash to spread the word to people who are less informed. God knows the state's always pulling shenanigans - how about using some of the money to inform the swing voters out there of some of the sheer stupidity involved in MA laws.

Sounds like you guys in MA are getting bent over by your "friends" on your side too.

Wow. And MA is worth staying in and fighting for, right?

Shit, NH and VT are at most an hour away. Suckers.

So, what/who is the Outdoor message? Another non-profit?

The Outdoor Message Cooperative, Inc.

From here:

Michael D. Yacino of East Douglas, Massachusetts is the CCRKBA Gun Rights Defender of the Month Awardee for June.

Since 1977, he has been publisher of THE MESSAGE, and is responsible for the content of this 28-page monthly news magazine. The Outdoor Message Cooperative, Inc., of which he is Treasurer, publishes the periodical. Organized sportsmen and women throughout New England cooperate in the joint venture.

Maybe Mike Yacino can clarify.

From here:

Principals

Bruce Wedlock- President

Michael Yacino- Treasurer

Michelle Siudut- Secretary

Michelle Siudut- Clerk

Michelle Siudut- Clerk

David Tetzloff- Director

Registered Agent
Michelle Siudut
Northboro, MA 01532

Personally, I have no use for any printed publication when the internet is more convenient and less expensive.

Last edited:
The power of multiplication. When you have a large membership, the group collecting the dues might be laughing all the way to the bank

For example, How many members does NES have? 200, 300? Multiply that number by $21 a year and somebody gets an all expense paid trip to Aruba every winter.

Web hosting and vBulletin software might cost $40/year.

No offense.

The power of multiplication. When you have a large membership, the group collecting the dues might be laughing all the way to the bank

For example, How many members does NES have? 200, 300? Multiply that number by $21 a year and you get an all expense paid trip to Aruba every winter.

No offense.

Rework your math. For this much bandwidth? $40 a year? Where did you get that figure 'cause I want to work with them.

For example, How many members does NES have? 200, 300? Multiply that number by $21 a year and you get an all expense paid trip to Aruba every winter.

No offense.

This is no charity, despite everything that NES does for gun rights in New England.

Last edited:

For example, How many members does NES have? 200, 300? Multiply that number by $21 a year and somebody gets an all expense paid trip to Aruba every winter.

No offense.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about - $40 a year for that bandwidth necessary to run NES [rofl]

No offense.

Try 15K+ members, im guessing somewhere around 500 are paid members and still active. The bandwidth needed for that kind of traffic isnt cheap.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about - $40 a year for that bandwidth necessary to run NES [rofl]

Ok smarty pants, how much bandwidth does NES use per month? BTW, I have developed/managed PHP websites.

Again, I meant no offense by using NES as an example for a revenue stream.

Ok, let me revise my estimate Let's say, roughly $300/year for website expenses and roughly $700 a year for SigSauer pistol give away. Call it a liberal $1,000 expenses per year. With the $21 per member per year revenue stream, that still leaves a good chunk of change.

How much bandwidth are we talking? BTW, Web hosting with large++ bandwidth is getting cheaper and cheaper. Do a quick Google search.

Last edited:
That's not a bad thing

There's nothing wrong with capitalism. Having said that, the best case would be one where GOAL members are informed of the relationship between GOAL and The Outdoor Message and can therefore decide if that relationship is one they want to fund. From this thread, it seems that relationship is not fully understood by at least some members right now.

Ok smarty pants, how much bandwidth does NES use per month? BTW, I have developed/managed PHP websites.

Again, I meant no offense by using NES as an example for a revenue stream.

Ok, let me revise my estimate Let's say, roughly $300/year for website expenses and roughly $700 a year for SigSauer pistol give away. Call it a liberal $1,000 expenses per year. With the $21 per member per year revenue stream, that still leaves a good chunk of change.

How much bandwidth are we talking? BTW, Web hosting with large++ bandwidth is getting cheaper and cheaper. Do a quick Google search.

If Derek is making money because of NES, we should commend him for being a good businessman, He found a need, filled it and is hopefully making cash off it.
That's what we do in America.

Last edited:
That's not a bad thing

Hey, everybody needs to make a living. What I think is bothering the OP is that the $$$ are going out from GOAL and not in. $8 from every yearly dues payment is a big chunk of cash to be spending on a newsletter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom