• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gloucester ma ltc

I have applied for my ltc in gloucester and still waiting on police cheif approval. Anyone have any information about gloucester. I called and i passed the background check but because of my cwof oui in 2008 the cheif needs to approve my application. My wife submitted hers the same time and already received her license.

Last edited:
Oh boy! From the OP's post, I don't think it has been submitted to the state yet. "the cheif (sic) needs to approve my application"

It sounds like someone who should have sought legal guidance is attempting to wing it. I hope it works out for him.
It has. Originally when i called to check mine and my wifes i was told they were approved. When i went with my wife to pick hers up i asked and was told the cheif needs to approve it.

Now I'M confused and I'm going to say you should do what CATI says in post #2. It now sounds like they were both submitted/processed and the chief is sitting on yours. Make a call, it can't hurt.

Good luck.

It sounds like someone who should have sought legal guidance is attempting to wing it. I hope it works out for him.
This.

Don't know why a CWOF is holding you up. I had.... 1 set of charges CWOF'd, and another 5 charges that carry a much longer term than OUI CWOF'd and that was at 16 and 17. I had my FID while they were CWOF'd at 18, and my LTC and prints were done by the officer who cuffed me . Never was arrested thankfully. I owe my local PD a lot.

It's not a conviction, it's at worst an arrest and assuming you've finished the term they gave you, it is now dismissed, no? For me, mine was literally him remembering the incident in question, ensuring it was declared correctly, and moved on.

A CWOF can definitely get you a suitability denial, it will depend on the CoP.

The Process has the state do their check and then the CoP gets a final shot at using sutability. No reason to use suitability if someone fails the background check. Doing it in this order just makes it easier... for the CoP.

It sounds like the OP was told the state check went through and now the Chief may want to take a shot at it. @Len-2A Training advice is probably the best you'll get, but it's likely the Chief has his own ideas of what gets a suitability denial and the decision has already been made.

Let me know how it goes, PM if you prefer, I ended up moving to NH after my suitability denial (after a bunch of years). It was also based on a CWOF (15 year past dismissed, single arrest in a lifetime). I'm still pissed at my lawyer, could have easily won but money was tight and he told me "it's meaningless, it will have no impact on your life". Scary part is that lawyer is now a district court judge in MA.

A CWOF can definitely get you a suitability denial, it will depend on the CoP.

The Process has the state do their check and then the CoP gets a final shot at using sutability. No reason to use suitability if someone fails the background check. Doing it in this order just makes it easier... for the CoP.

It sounds like the OP was told the state check went through and now the Chief may want to take a shot at it. @Len-2A Training advice is probably the best you'll get, but it's likely the Chief has his own ideas of what gets a suitability denial and the decision has already been made.

Let me know how it goes, PM if you prefer, I ended up moving to NH after my suitability denial (after a bunch of years). It was also based on a CWOF (15 year past dismissed, single arrest in a lifetime). I'm still pissed at my lawyer, could have easily won but money was tight and he told me "it's meaningless, it will have no impact on your life". Scary part is that lawyer is now a district court judge in MA.
a suitability denial post Bruen for a effn first offense DWI from over a decade ago?

Hard to justify that one in court

a suitability denial post Bruen for a effn first offense DWI from over a decade ago?

Hard to justify that one in court
Applicant demonstrates poor judgement that could, and has, resulted in a risk to the general public.

That wasn't hard at all. And there is no standard of evidence that has to be met, just the judge saying "sounds good to me", which they always will. And you don't get to question the Chief, he won't even be there. All you can do is say "that's not true your honor". See how far that gets you.

Bruen was good for many things, but this idea that it is some kind of magical fix for every questionable thing is just a fantasy. We are a long way from seeing suitability gone in MA.

In my case the CWOF was 15 years in the past, no drugs, no violence. They didn't even really make an issue of what the charges were. The whole thing was they claimed I lied to the cop. There was no direct testimony, just hearsay, no witnesses, no questioning or cross. Yet the judge was all Ya that sounds good enough. And Bruen would not have changed a thing because it wasn't an arbitrary standard.

I have applied for my ltc in gloucester and still waiting on police cheif approval. Anyone have any information about gloucester. I called and i passed the background check but because of my cwof oui in 2008 the cheif needs to approve my application. My wife submitted hers the same time and already received her license.
When did you and your wife apply? And when did she get her LTC?

Gloucester is slow to begin with. They do not have a lot of resources for permitting, but I personally don't know anyone that has not gotten their ltc, when applying. I think you'll be fine, just be patient and polite.

Dude, if you don't bang his wife, toss his keys on the roof and leave an upper decker in his toilet...I'm gonna wonder if you even operate?

I talked to a buddy of mine that has a friend thats a cop in gloucester, he looked it up and said its not active yet, not sure how to translate that into where it is in the process.
Rather than play telephone, why don't you pick up yours and call the FRB hotline?
617-660-4722

Back
Top Bottom