• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Warranty

Ok, I am still researching what will be my first true handgun purchase and am curious about what kind of warranty. I have found that Smith and Wesson has lifetime if your the original purchaser, Sig has a 1 yr from date of purchase (both limited). Now what kind does glock offer, if any. I tried looking at there sight as well as a Glock FAQ

Skald said:
Hehe, but in case I do have to, what is there policy?

I really don't know, just being a smart arse. I have spoke to them in the past and had good service on the phone but it has been years. I've just never had any reason to worry about warranty. I would just suggest calling them and asking them that direct question.

I bought a used Glock 23 and the first time I had it to the range I had a casehead separation on some very early Federal 180 grain HS. No apparent damage to the pistol but Glock had me send it back to them (at their cost IIRC) and they gave it a going over to make sure it was still okay. I had it back in two weeks.

Glock has a lifetime warranty.

Also if you attend a GSSF match (not sure if you can walk in or must be a member), there is always a Glock gunsmith on site that will do a check and repairs/upgrades while you wait . . . doesn't need to be broken to do this.

For 1st handgun, I'd go with a .22 plinker from S&W.

For an experienced shooter looking for a defensive gun . . . one of the many Glocks (17 or 22, but both are large frame) or S&W 1911. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I bought a used glock 17 recently and noticed the radius of the top front and rear edges of the slide looked a little funny. I sent it to Glock and they are replacing the slide and shipping it back to me at no cost though, I did pay shipping to get it to them. I've never seen service like this in any industry. The gun is scheduled to show up either today or tomorrow :) ......

LenS said:
For 1st handgun, I'd go with a .22 plinker from S&W.

For an experienced shooter looking for a defensive gun . . . one of the many Glocks (17 or 22, but both are large frame) or S&W 1911. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I absolutely agree with you that anybody's FIRST handgun should be a .22.

However, ADVANTAGE ARMS:

http://www.advantagearms.com/

offers .22 rimfire uppers for both Glocks and 1911s and this can be a viable way to go.

I'm planning to order an upper from them for a Glock I bought last fall, and I will post a review of it here after I get it, if anyone is interested.

FWIW, people I trust have raved about how well the Advantage Arms upper works on their Glocks. I have also seen online reports that the conversion kit from CIENER has been, uh, problematical.

I have no first hand experience with the Ciener.

Regards
John

.22 Conversions

I have heard the the Marvel .22 conversion for a 1911 is the most accurate of the bunch.,

As for warranties. Even most places say for the first owner, they don't really seem to care.

I've had to deal with Para Ordnance, and they didn't seem to care. Hell, I complely lost a part, do to my problem. I sent them an e-mail and they sent me back the part for free no questions asked.

Also, had to send back a pistol for feeding problems, sent and back in under a week working like a charm.

My first gun was a Glock 17. My second was a ParaOrdnance P14.

I did eventually by a .22 (got 4 of them now) and a revolver (can't count how many).

A .22 is a fine first gun. So is a revolver.

But so is a larger caliber autoloader. I just don't buy into the "first handgun should be a .22" or "first handgun should be a revolver" dogma.

In the past few months I got my first two handguns: a Ruger SP101 revolver DAO .357 mag, and then a Glock 22, both were used (but almost new condition) and both have been good to practice with.

As far as warranty goes that wasn't a major concern as both my choices have great reputations for reliability.

I would suggest getting something you will use for years, and renting first to make sure you like the feel of the handgun, its recoil, etc.

M1911 said:

I did eventually by a .22 (got 4 of them now) and a revolver (can't count how many).

But so is a larger caliber autoloader. I just don't buy into the "first handgun should be a .22" or "first handgun should be a revolver" dogma.
I have yet to find any local, state of federal law enforcement agency which trains on .22s first then moves their recruits up to larger calibers. Maybe they know something.

Since Skald says he shot .22 for 3 years prior, he's not a rookie and >.22 is appropriate. Although plinking with a .22 is both fun and cheap for everyone!

John, thanks for the pointer to Advantage Arms. Might be an ideal solution!

Folks get your C&R FFL!! Midway sells the Advantage Arms .22 conversions for Glocks and 1911s at $200 and $14 for extra mags (vs. $250 and $25 without the C&R FFL). Do the math, you pocket money after paying BATFE $30 for 3 year C&R FFL!

Rob, I haven't seen any MPTC (MCJTC) firearms training program where municipal officers are TRAINED TO SHOOT at all! They qualify with a whooping 100 rds/year (on average) and hope that they score high enough. If they fail, they go thru again but there is NO TRAINING to shoot better regardless of gun used! [This was my experience in 18 years qualifying with my PD, watching others qualify, and qualifying in an "in service" class at MPTC back in 2000.] If Jon has more recent (and more encouraging) information, I'll welcome his correction to my assertion.

Also wrt Glock warranties.

All Glock factory refurbs come with a full lifetime warranty.

Glock does not question "are you the first owner", they will take care of any problems.

Also to clarify, the Glock armorers at the GSSF matches repair, inspect and update any/all Glocks brought to them for FREE!!

M1911 said:

My personal experience is as follows:

Got my CCW when I was 22. Took the NRA Handgun Safety Course, got to shoot all kinds of guns - 22 revolver and semi-auto, 38 snub, 357 and 44 magnums, S&W 9mm and Colt 45acp, loved them all.

I'm one of those obsessive types who over thinks everything. I have to first figure out what I need or want a gun for, then figure out what the perfect gun to accomplish that is. Lot of reading and research before a purchase.

Anyway, after reading Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, and so forth, I decided I was going to stick with revolvers - "I'll take a revolver, YOU take your chances" and decided I really wanted a matching pair - Either a S&W model 18 (Combat Masterpiece .22) and a S&W model 19 (Combat Magnum .357) OR a Colt Diamondback and Colt Python.

Based on Bill Jordan's comments in NO SECOND PLACE WINNER I decided to go with the S&W line instead of the Colt. I acquired the S&W 18.

After that, I sort of fell on hard financial times. There was also a growing interest in motorcycles, and somehow I never scraped enough money together for the Combat Magnum.

But for ten years, I was able to go out with the 22 behind our house and plink at tin cans and otherwise engage in informal practice.

Finally, at a time when I was particularly hard up for money, I was looking around for a part time job to supplement my income, and came across an add from a local armored car company - they were looking to hire part timers, but you had to have a CCW in order to apply.

I got the job, borrowed a few hundred dollars and went looking for a deal on a used Combat Magnum, or even another Combat Masterpiece in .38. Couldn't find one, but did stumble across a Ruger Security Six and ended up buying that.

Wound up at the company range needing to qualify with it. The rangemaster was a full time cop and police firearms instructor who moonlighted for the company as their fireams instructor. The course we had to shoot was the same one NY mandated for cops.

I had never fired such a course before, hadn't shot a centerfire revolver in ten years, and was shooting 357 mags, not 38s, to boot.

But thanks to ten years of weekend plinking with an identical feeling 22, I qualified as "expert" on the course - and watched some of the other guys who LITERALLY were missing the target COMPLETLY and washed out.

As far I'm concerned, that totally validated the theory that it's the 22 that really teaches you how to shoot.

If you have sufficient money to pay for nearly unlimited centerfire practice ammo, then maybe you don't really need a 22. But ANYBODY who can afford a pistol can afford nearly unlimited 22 practice ammo, and that's the smart way to go.

Regards
John

Skald said:
I hear you on the .22 LR and would take the advice but I did shoot it for 3 years or so down at hanson rod and gun on Monday nights for the gallery course (used iron sights).

If the Glock fit's your hand OK, I would go with one.

They were specifically designed as battlefield sidearms, and are damn near indestructable.

Chuck Taylor tells a story about a fisherman off the coast of CA who pulled one out of the Pacific Ocean. He took it to the police, and they used the serial # to trace it. Discovered that it had been accidentally dropped overboard by an innocent boater NINE MONTHS before, and after being cleaned and reoiled, IT STILL FUNCTIONED FLAWLESSLY!.

(Try THAT with any 1911! :) )

When Clint Smith closed down his Texas facility, he wrote an article on the lessons learned from it's ten years of operations. He mentioned that NO stock Glock had EVER malfunctioned at Thunder Ranch. The only ones that ever had problems were the one's that had been "improved" by aftermarket parts and/or inept "gunsmithing". Hint.

Get yourself a good .40 caliber Glock. It will make a fine self-defense gun. It can be used to get your feet wet in IPSC and/or IDPA competition. With a good 22 conversion kit, it will make a fine plinker and trainer.

(The advantage of a 22 conversion kit is that you have EXACTLY the same grip and trigger pull.)

For a couple of hundred dollars each, you can fit it with 9mm and 357sig barrels, if you want that kind of ammo/caliber flexibility.

Take a look at Patrick Sweeney's The Gun Digest Book Of GLOCKS. Sweeney was a working gunsmith, an IPSC competitor, a Gunsite graduate, and a state certified LE Firearms Trainer, and can write a decent schtick. This book is often on the shelf at a Barnes and Nobles, or I'm sure your library can get one via interlibrary loan. It will answer any question you have on Glocks.

(He also authored The Gun Digest Book Of 1911's and there is a Gun Digest Book Of SIGs authored by Massad Ayoob, in case you're still thinking of either of those options. In fact, if you really are new to this, check out the fifth edition of The Gun Digest Book Of COMBAT HANDGUNS, also authored by Ayoob.)

Hope these suggestions help with your decision. Good Luck!

Regards
John

As an update, my g17c arrived back from glock today. They gave me a brand new slide, transferred the night sights from the original slide and even sighted the gun in, new locking block, new slide lock, new spring cups, and, of course, a G17 key chain :p This was all on their tab except shipping to them and they were great about replacing the slide for what was more a cosmetic than a functional flaw. I just got back from MRA after running a couple hundred rounds of blazer, wwb, and american eagle with the reduced power striker spring and had zero light strikes! Turn around time was about 3 weeks to the date. Excellent customer service!

Back
Top Bottom