• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock (and others) square trigger guard

Many relieve the grip side of the guard as it can dig into the right middle finger in more powerful calibers. Seems to transfer a lot of force to that area.

Here’s a frame I did for a fellow NESr. His gen 3 stippled, undecut and rounded trigger. I don’t mind the rounded guard but always prefered the squared look (Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc). To each their own. Glock replacement frames are relatively cheap. Stock glocks are ugly. Gucci glocks are ugly. Get a dremel and grind away.

View attachment 265740

That is just what I did because was getting that very issue with the squared guard digging in from recoil. Not easy to see in my pic but guard is both relieved and rounded entirely from one end to the other. Wmass chose to leave the square guard. I removed mine.

Relieving the rear part of the guard to add radius is easy with a dremel using a sanding drum and a buffer disk. Lots of how-to vids out there.

Me too, which is funny because I'm tall and lanky. I can't shoot alot of guns with exposed hammers without my hands getting eaten up. First time I found this out when I bled all over this guy's BHP. I was mortified, offered to clean it, buy him new grips or whatever, he declined while laughing at me merrily.

And I've never grabbed the front of a trigger guard. I usually point with my thumbs as the sights come up into view. I can see how you could shoot from prone cover and get some traction, but I don't see that happening in most defensive scenarios.

I feel your pain. Anything with a slide drags on my mitts.
Had to special order a set of lok grips for my cz. Had to bring the palmswell out quite a bit just to fill in.
I also have the left handed curse.

Have you seen the mom on 19 Kids & Counting? She's not that hot, either. But her performance is amazing. Ditto for a Glock. I don't buy guns for the pretty-factor. . . . OK, I do. But I don't buy CARRY guns for pretty-factor.

I've never worried about the look of the front of a Glock trigger guard. Nor have I ever used it to rest a finger OR brace against a barrier. Ditto for every other gun out there that I've owned or shot.

For the price of a decent 1911 and a Smithy, you can get multiple Glocks that just work. Just sayin. LOL Ditch that sissy-plated nickel-pistol and gitcherselfaGlock.
I didn't say they suck.
I may have or have not own/owned one/couple/many
My car is ugly as sin but it's gone 160k without an issue. Quite glockish.

hqdefault.jpg

I ground mine off (G27) and think it came out awesome.

Some guns feel constrained by their reality, and feel compelled to undergo surgeries to make themselves feel 'whole'. That must be sad for the guns' friends and families (and their co-workers).

Fortunately for me - and despite some aftermarket parts - my Glocks have always identified as OEM.

Last edited:
I grip the pic rail between my thumb and index finger on a g17. My palm on the trigger guard. Does this mean I have oven mitts?

I hate the look. It was a fad, and a bad one, and I'm never sure why companies didn't do away with it once it became clear the square guard had no utility.

I always thought that the squared-off guards were to facilitate lights and lasers...

I always thought that the squared-off guards were to facilitate lights and lasers...

Don’t they predate all that?

Rails didn’t start showing up on pistols until the 90s, right? And before that, accessories were few and far between.

You know, I really don't recall when/which came about first. Chicken or the egg.
I think they came out at the same time, because the poly-frames would accept a 6-volt lantern flashlight duct-taped to it... [rofl2]

thunderbolt-magnum-93858-6-volt-lantern-with-battery-29-1-2.jpg

I must also have "oven mitts" because my weak side finger sits on the front of the guard, and never has screwed up my control. it's a PISTOL for c********e, not a beauty contest! Love my Glocks! Never had them fail to go bang!

I love the square trigger guard on firearms. My sti that I used to own looks awesome with a square trigger guard.

I do have big mitts, every pistol I shoot needs a beaver tail.
I used to own a bhp I even bought a second hammer and bobbed it. The thing still gave me hammer bite. Sadly, I had to sell it.

I own a G43 and liked the "hook" even less on this little gun than on the double stack Glocks.

Fortunately, stripped G43 frames can be had on GB for about $35 shipped. So I bought an extra frame and went to work.

I'm not quite done cleaning things up yet, but this is the result. upload_2019-1-27_13-40-56.jpeg
upload_2019-1-27_13-41-18.jpeg

That is just what I did because was getting that very issue with the squared guard digging in from recoil. Not easy to see in my pic but guard is both relieved and rounded entirely from one end to the other. Wmass chose to leave the square guard. I removed mine.

My right middle finger used to get punished by the G-21 until I relieved the right bottom of the guard. Much better now.

Back in the day some IPSC pistols went as far as to have a slight hook on the lower front of the guard to aid in keeping the left index finger there during rapid fire. It was quite a fad.

Now HERE is a nice looking gun:
30610.jpg

Yep I got this for the wife. Sexy lines. A real looker. Paid a fortune for it. But the bitch is big and heavy. Pain in the ass to strip. Mag release located in the butt. Tough to grip and pull slide. Not very accurate. Decocker bites like a vampire. There was some mag issue after purchase that Sig stroked me over but time has swallowed the details. Some sort of recall. This one was the gun that made me wary of what Sigarms was churning out...

I grip the pic rail between my thumb and index finger on a g17. My palm on the trigger guard. Does this mean I have oven mitts?

Or you're really Angie Dickinson.

tumblr_m035lqfu6x1qe90ht.jpg

(I couldn't find the classic Police Woman stance pic - left palm. . . PALM. . . under the grips. LOL)

January 28, 2019 SIG P232.jpg My stainless SIG P232 runs flawlessly, no bite, extremely accurate (better than my SIG P238), fits my hand like a glove, and so beautiful with old world craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom