• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock (and others) square trigger guard

StevieP

NES Member
One of the things I've never liked about (the looks of) Glocks is the squared-off trigger guard. It just looks "odd" to me and is maybe one (admittedly stupid, probably) reason I don't own a Glock.

I get that it's designed so you can grab it with your support hand/finger to help steady the gun. But to me it seems unnatural, and that sort of grip would lead to an actual lack of muzzle control.

I've read that it could be useful if you're behind cover you could use it as a 'brace' to push against to steady a shot.

One of the best reasons I've seen for it is as a potential solution for what to do when carrying into a public restroom stall. You hang your gun by the trigger guard, and then use the 'hook' on the front of the trigger guard to hang your coat on.

What are y'all's thoughts on this? Do you use it (and how)? Do you grind it off with a Dremel tool? Or just ignore it & wonder about why it's there?

Nobody actually ever grips on to the front of the trigger guard unless you have oven mitts for hands, then its potentially useful.

As far as the hanging the gun by the trigger guard thing... f*** no, never in a million years. That's called how to have an ND in a
bathroom stall or lose a gun. Leave the gun in the holster. There's no reason it should ever leave the holster in public unless you're about to
plug someone.

Reality is most people don't care about this. Rounding it off in some cases may f*** up holster compatibility. You can get it done professionally if you really
wanted to.

As someone who owns like 8? Glocks, I've never thought or cared about the shape of the trigger guard. I realize its a shitty euphemism, but "it is what it is". It's just as dumb as me caring about that stupid f***ing rail on subcompact XDs or M&P compacts, etc. The rail that shouldn't be there. But it wouldnt ever stop me from buying the pistol.

BTW, "the look of?" These are utility guns, not fashion accessories. [laugh] If you're thinking of a glock (or any other polymer framed handgun) in those terms, you're already on the wrong track. That's like getting upset over how the plunger next to
your toilet looks.

-Mike

One of the best reasons I've seen for it is as a potential solution for what to do when carrying into a public restroom stall. You hang your gun by the trigger guard, and then use the 'hook' on the front of the trigger guard to hang your coat on.

Didn't some cop plow a magazine into the roof of the bathroom because he did this and the glock kept bouncing off the hook and firing?

Want beauty? Get a basic 1911 and let a talented Smith go at it.
There is more than 1 feature on a glock that is ugly.
Mag protrusion
Gap between slide and frame
Squared slide
Slide finish
Sights
Plastic texture
finger grooves on the ones that have them
Actually.... the entire thing is pretty ugly looking

I hate the look. It was a fad, and a bad one, and I'm never sure why companies didn't do away with it once it became clear the square guard had no utility. I've bought a grand total of two firearms with this "feature," against my better judgement, and sold both of them.

I agree that guns are tools, and that "looks" aren't a prime concern. But looks are of SOME concern. More, form follows function, and that stupid hook on the front of the trigger has no function. Get rid of it. Give me the 1911/BHP trigger guard any day.

If you're thinking of a glock (or any other polymer framed handgun) in those terms, you're already on the wrong track. That's like getting upset over how the plunger next to your toilet looks.

-Mike
There is actually a market for people who care about this.

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More
free-standing-toilet-plunger.jpg

I ground mine off (G27) and think it came out awesome.
yeah it did! i like the look, too. but got to admit the stock appearance doesn't bother me, it is what it is.

i remember when that fad started with squared off and checkered trigger guards. a cash cow for 'smiths also at the time, it was the one mod everyone could afford. i bet there's a bunch of 1911's out there all squared off cause when you were shooting ipsc, it was on the laundry list of things you could have done when you were building a gun up. i seen a bunch of them on the local circuit but never remember anyone using it. almost a cosmetic thing.

What are y'all's thoughts on this? Do you use it (and how)? Do you grind it off with a Dremel tool? Or just ignore it & wonder about why it's there?
I ignore it. Buy a 1911 and a Glock. Show one to your friends and the other to your enemies.

Many relieve the grip side of the guard as it can dig into the right middle finger in more powerful calibers. Seems to transfer a lot of force to that area.

Not that I'd recommend firing a Glock this way (highly unsafe), but I always thought the grip on the squared off front trigger guard was there for alternative support should your support hand get crippled. You could press the pistol up against something and the squared off trigger guard would help stabilize the pistol. More theoretically tacticool than useful in day to day life, but options are always good when they otherwise don't hinder primary performance.

One of the things I've never liked about (the looks of) Glocks is the squared-off trigger guard. It just looks "odd" to me and is maybe one (admittedly stupid, probably) reason I don't own a Glock.

I get that it's designed so you can grab it with your support hand/finger to help steady the gun. But to me it seems unnatural, and that sort of grip would lead to an actual lack of muzzle control.

I've read that it could be useful if you're behind cover you could use it as a 'brace' to push against to steady a shot.

It's a Glock. Glock perfection!!!! Stop complaining about it and fall in line.

;)

Many relieve the grip side of the guard as it can dig into the right middle finger in more powerful calibers. Seems to transfer a lot of force to that area.
I've not heard that one. a bunch of folks relieve that area out to get a higher grip to get the bore axis lower with the theory being it reduces recoil. myself, I don't believe that tiny bit of space would help with that but what do I know.

Want beauty? Get a basic 1911 and let a talented Smith go at it.
There is more than 1 feature on a glock that is ugly.
Mag protrusion
Gap between slide and frame
Squared slide
Slide finish
Sights
Plastic texture
finger grooves on the ones that have them
Actually.... the entire thing is pretty ugly looking

Have you seen the mom on 19 Kids & Counting? She's not that hot, either. But her performance is amazing. Ditto for a Glock. I don't buy guns for the pretty-factor. . . . OK, I do. But I don't buy CARRY guns for pretty-factor.

I've never worried about the look of the front of a Glock trigger guard. Nor have I ever used it to rest a finger OR brace against a barrier. Ditto for every other gun out there that I've owned or shot.

For the price of a decent 1911 and a Smithy, you can get multiple Glocks that just work. Just sayin. LOL Ditch that sissy-plated nickel-pistol and gitcherselfaGlock.

Here’s a frame I did for a fellow NESr. His gen 3 stippled, undecut and rounded trigger. I don’t mind the rounded guard but always prefered the squared look (Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc). To each their own. Glock replacement frames are relatively cheap. Stock glocks are ugly. Gucci glocks are ugly. Get a dremel and grind away.

90CBB64F-ACDC-4870-98B5-F7962C5EE907.jpeg

I guess you're really having a bad day if you're looking at the business end of a Glock anyways. I personally like a melted Glock, to reduce the odds of it snagging on a piece of clothing when I pull the trigger, count to 3, and throw it.

I am guilty.
Of having oven-mitt sized hands.

Me too, which is funny because I'm tall and lanky. I can't shoot alot of guns with exposed hammers without my hands getting eaten up. First time I found this out when I bled all over this guy's BHP. I was mortified, offered to clean it, buy him new grips or whatever, he declined while laughing at me merrily.

And I've never grabbed the front of a trigger guard. I usually point with my thumbs as the sights come up into view. I can see how you could shoot from prone cover and get some traction, but I don't see that happening in most defensive scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom