• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Girlfriend and guns

Apologies if this has beaten to death already...[horse]

My new girlfriend is a hippy, but not an anti-gun one (really likes the idea of me shooting, but that's neither here nor there...). She's cool with me liking guns and owning them, but I have not yet told here I carry when I'm home. We live in different states and so far only have been together while I'm at school. For those of you here who met your significant other after you started carrying a handgun, how did you break the news to them? She really likes hugging and I'd prefer to avoid awkward moments of "OMGWTFISTHAT?!?" when she notices the M&P and spare mag.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Go for her mom.

Kidding, tell her it's like carrying her Coach bag. You'll stop carrying your M&P if she stops carrying Coach bags. I promise you that if you say that you will be able to carry that M&P at all times.

On a side note, I told mine that if the state of MA sees that I'm fit to conceal a firearm, then she should too. She accepted that.

Try being honest. Tell her why you carry, your motivations, and don't make it out to be a big deal.

+1

The foundation of any relationship worth having is mutual trust and respect. don't EVER lie, don't apologize for who you are. She will accept you or not, but make clear you feel strongly about this.

If she's the right one for you, you'll have no problems. My daughter who is 21 won't shoot a gun because she can't stand the noise. But she can field strip clean and oil a 1911 in under 3 minutes.[smile]

Find non-hippie pie.

Considered it, but she's too awesome in all other areas. This isn't Code Pink political activist hippie (that's her brother...) but more quirky, off-beat, fun hippy. Besides, she likes the idea of me having them and shooting, I just haven't brought up the subject of carrying.

She's not anti-gun and is even willing to try shooting with me, although she's insisting on the Torchwood method of firearms instruction...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbadnFovhPc

Wear thunderwear![grin]

She'd still notice...[wink]

The women I've been able to keep a long term relationship going with either had no problem with me carrying, or checked to make sure I was. (The check wasn't needed, but it defined that part of the relationship.)

All you have to say is "I have something here in my pants that I've been meaning to show you. Some people find it scary but I think you might enjoy it."

Just be honest with her... If you are respectful about it if she is uncomfortable and take the time to educate her...all is well.

Good luck with it, my last serious girlfriend was a huge anti and wouldn't even listen to me about why I carry. It was a deal breaker for me, and we ended up going our separate ways.

Step 1. Take her to the range and show her how fun the sport side of it can be. If she totally sucks at it, bring along some targets that you've already shot dead center. When she's not looking, swap those for her crappy targets.

Step 2. Start reading her news stories of all the whack jobs who keep going in to malls or coffee shops and shooting the place up. Take her to the movies and then while there tell her about the guy who's son got shot because they were whispering too loud.

Step 3. Show her an advertisement with a pink gun. I think Charter Arms does a pink .38.

Voila! Worked for me! Except I never had to swap targets, my wife was a great shot from the beginning.

quite frankly, i just took mine out in front of her and unloaded/secured it in a case, as if i had been doing it forever. brings a whole new dimension to "fake it 'til you make it."

Don't tell her shit until after you have gotten her pregnant, then it really doesn't matter.

I guess Im the only one who found that hilarious! I think Im getting myself into one of these relationships as we speak, fortunatly shes really cool, unfortunatly Im not sure how shell deal with the whole CC thing.

I guess I (you also, if you do) could also bring up the point that shes never seen me when Im not carrying, and she never even knew.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom