• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting assaulted.

A wise man once told me: "You can get another house, you can get another job, you can get out of prison, but you can't get another life."
Take it for what it's worth.

Isn't there a new law here in NH that took affect on the first of the year and was written because of the Bird case that allows you to display a firearm if you feel threatened ?

Yes there is.
NH RSA Section 631:4

631:4 Criminal Threatening. –
I. A person is guilty of criminal threatening when:
(a) By physical conduct, the person purposely places or attempts to place another in fear of imminent bodily injury or physical contact; or
(b) The person places any object or graffiti on the property of another with a purpose to coerce or terrorize any person; or
(c) The person threatens to commit any crime against the property of another with a purpose to coerce or terrorize any person; or
(d) The person threatens to commit any crime against the person of another with a purpose to terrorize any person; or
(e) The person threatens to commit any crime of violence, or threatens the delivery or use of a biological or chemical substance, with a purpose to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, facility of public transportation or otherwise to cause serious public inconvenience, or in reckless disregard of causing such fear, terror or inconvenience; or
(f) The person delivers, threatens to deliver, or causes the delivery of any substance the actor knows could be perceived as a biological or chemical substance, to another person with the purpose of causing fear or terror, or in reckless disregard of causing such fear or terror.
II. (a) Criminal threatening is a class B felony if the person:
(1) Violates the provisions of subparagraph I(e); or
(2) Uses a deadly weapon as defined in RSA 625:11, V in the violation of the provisions of subparagraph I(a), I(b), I(c), or I(d).
(b) All other criminal threatening is a misdemeanor.
III. (a) As used in this section, "property'' has the same meaning as in RSA 637:2, I; "property of another'' has the same meaning as in RSA 637:2, IV.
(b) As used in this section, "terrorize'' means to cause alarm, fright, or dread; the state of mind induced by the apprehension of hurt from some hostile or threatening event or manifestation.
[Paragraph IV effective January 1, 2011.]

IV. A person who responds to a threat which would be considered by a reasonable person as likely to cause serious bodily injury or death to the person or to another by displaying a firearm or other means of self-defense with the intent to warn away the person making the threat shall not have committed a criminal act under this section.

God bless the great state of New Hampshire !

we got the video, show this to jury and I bet even moonbats may side with you [shocked]

now imagine there is no video and you shot one down. You got 4 other thugs (who will get dressed in suits, court time) who will act like witnesses to the brutal shooting of a "good kid, aspiring rapper ... etc" who "didn't do nothing, just talking" and then you "brutally gunned him down" and of course you got that "arsenal of firearms" at home, all registered and documented. Those thugs will say whatever, just to get you crucified in court, so beating down won't seem too bad.

as far as "not leaving the casings" being a law abiding citizen is a disadvantage. The victim could always be traced where he was coming out, it would be easier to find you than any of those thugs and consequences would be harsh.

all that said, I'd ran as fast and far as I could, hoping those boys smoke, and if I'm cornered then draw.

Yes there is.
Well, actually, that law would not address the Bird case even if Bird was the sole reason for it (there was a similar case in Milford and I think it had as much or more to do with the initial drafting). That law basically means that if the situation is on in which it's reasonable to consider shooting, you don't HAVE to shoot if the mere display of counter deadly force makes the threat flee. The case in Milford where a guy got charged with assault for showing a gun to a guy who was marching up to his door with a weapon in hand... I don't think he was convicted, but this new law closes any doubt that our criminal threatening law should not make you think twice about drawing in a real threat situation.

On the OP: Disparity of force is something police understand. I don't think there are a hell of a lot of cops who'd arrest a lone victim set on by 5 big guys unless something was really funny in the shooter's story. Probably some, but the few I've actually asked about this kind of situation told me without doubt that disparity of force is something they are trained to look for (if only for their OWN force escalation requirements).

I wouldn't hesitate...a group of punks like that needs to be taken care of quickly or you are done. Doubtful there were any witnesses either...except of course for the video camera, which if they try to use that against you will actually work against them showing it was premeditated and they were looking to F#*k someone up.

Gee Derek, I gotta say I'd take the beating. If I didn't, I might be declared unsuitable or something. [hmmm]

Reddit page: http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/fa84i/

Lots of info there (not self-defense related), and these guys are going to get nailed...Never underestimate the power of The Internets.

Also, completely unrelated to the beating that I'd gladly roll over and take before assaulting one of these fine young men, I'm realizing that I don't carry NEARLY enough ammo.

I was thinking the same thing 5 double taps, depending on what you carry you might have to reload to finish the deed.

The victim made 3 mistakes before the whole thing went down. He walked out of the door "in white", he responded verbally at :25, and the heel-kick at :30 drew the thugs' attention even more. If he had been in orange or red mode he might have been able to go back inside immediately and let the punks pass. Without the verbal response or heel-kick the punks may (or may not) have moved on.

None of this excuses the actions of the criminals or in any way says the victim caused the assault, but maybe, possibly, it could have been avoided.

If not, given the way I usually carry, my hand(s) would have been in my pocket(s) at or before :20. I hope I would have drawn around :30 or :32 when the punk came under the railing, with presentation and shots to follow momentarily thereafter, but then again this is the Internet.

Morals I took away from the video are always carry, be alert, don't confront, don't hesitate to defend.

As soon as you see a person following you hand near firearm, two people clearly following you gun drawn. As the video shows it takes very little time for multiple attackers to close in. Be aware of our surroundings and NEVER assume everything is going to be OK.

Hand on gun at 10 sec, drawn no later than 20 and taking first shots if any one of them continued to close the distance.

Judged by 12 > Carried by 6

I've been jumped once before as a kid, I've never let it happen again by staying aware of where I am and what is going on around me. Oh, and I moved out of the sh*thole that is New London, CT. Grew up there and will be happy to never step in that town again.

This kid obviously knew he was getting rushed... hell I probably would have let 2 rip in the air as soon as that kid turned the corner and run as fast as I can to civilization. I'm not getting crippled by the pussy patrol. I'd take my chances the cops would never show up to shots fired in a ghetto ass street in Richmond VA.

Wow, nice video - that was a quick thumpin. Tough to comment on that one, the guy was obviously in a bad area, at night, who knows what happened before - maybe they had a beef in a club, I don't know. Tough call, I think the biggest lesson I draw from that is to not be in bad area's at night, alone. I don't think those thugs would have been deterred by another person though. I'm also not sure if whipping out a gun is the right answer,,, it might be -- but the escalation of force wasn't there, or maybe it was with a mob like that. I don't know, I am not a lawyer. I have been in many "street" fights and part of me says fight it out, part of my says to start pumping those thugs with lead. At what point though, I guess when you fear for your life,,,,,

I just hope to not be in that situation, alone, without a friend or a weapon. But if I was, and I had a weapon on me,,, it is very tough to say what I would do. I mean you carry for those scenario's. But I also try to keep myself from those scenario's unless it is the last resort,,, but sometimes you can't control it.

I definitely don't think putting you hand on your weapon works here, I almost never recommend that -- if you feel threatened enough to put your hand on it,, you should have it in your hands.

Good video,, makes you think.

Oh please freakin reassure me you don't actually own a gun.

I own a whole bunch ... yeeeeee hawwwwww!!! Seriously though ... have ever you witnessed the effectiveness of warning shots? I personally have, don't discount it.

This goes in to the category of "do I live or do I die"? Once it's in that category it really doesn't matter what the books say.

right which is why for me being in mass and if that was me, that is a reload situation given the amount of attackers and would have already drawn if I was hiding in the corner like the victim was....

Not for nothing but the guy already F'd up the first attacker and if it wasn't for his "boys" the victim won that hand to hand exchange.

But ya DA or no DA I am drawing if I get jumped and surrounded I don't need to live in NH for that. Even NH puts you in jail for brandishing.

I own a whole bunch ... yeeeeee hawwwwww!!! Seriously though ... have ever you witnessed the effectiveness of warning shots? I personally have, don't discount it.

I would like to hear your " Warning Shot" experience.

My thought has always been that warning shots give the attacker time to draw and shoot you and maybe you would need those two rounds. Also, where are you putting those two shots? Bullets stop somewhere

It's also a perfect motivation to become proficient at drawing from concealment. You'd be surprised how many people carry, but can't draw quickly when it counts due to lack of practice.

As I had pointed out to a friend, 5 guys means you will be reloading at least once if you carry those crippled mags. Those guys are close and having done timed reloads, I know they happen slow . My reactions are these:

1. I am in orange when unknowns socially engage me. I don't leave the door, if I do I am not backing myself into a corner.
2. The gun is out of the holster once they begin to engage. :)15-:20)
3. 5 on 1 means I have no problem seeing how many I have to drop before they break contact.

I have never ben involved in an armed confrontation, however in H.S. I ended up cornered in a 3 on 1. The lesson I learned was watch your surroundings and make them think about how hard it will be. Food gets eaten; I wasn't that day. I also carry 17rd mags.

As I had pointed out to a friend, 5 guys means you will be reloading at least once if you carry those crippled mags. Those guys are close and having done timed reloads, I know they happen slow . My reactions are these:
Just give a puff on your rape whistle and the police will be there in an average of 9minutes... [thinking]

Maybe I missed it, if I did I apologize, but if you were in this situation and you were carrying how about the reality that if you dont use it to defend yourself, they beat the sh*t out of you then take a loaded firearm off you and kill you with your own gun? F THEM! Put them where they deserve to be and will eventually end up anyways. This way, you limit the number of victims before they finally get popped and you go home.

Back
Top Bottom