• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting assaulted.

I use the 30 foot rule. There were enough of them that I would have felt lethally threatened, and the moment any of them got closer than 30 feet.... bang, bang, bang!

When do you draw your weapon in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzCKGp3UNU

For those of you in MA, you simply need to take the beating and hope you live through it. [thinking]

Kinda wondering if a little Crimson Trace laser deployment at the beginning of this incident might have been effective. I don't own one, but it's got me considering it.
The son of a friend of ours got jumped like this in a quiet midwestern university town - he suffered broken facial bones, broken teeth and other injuries, as well as being robbed. The cops said it's called "Polar Bear Hunting," and it's often recorded by a cameraman so it can be admired and appreciated later. Why the name? Polar Bears are white.

At the end of the beating, they were telling the victim to "sleep"..... I think that's street slang for "die".

None of the polar bear hunters would have survived had he been armed and started accurately shooting when he felt LETHALLY threatened. 30 feet!

LINE IN THE SAND

Kinda wondering if a little Crimson Trace laser deployment at the beginning of this incident might have been effective. I don't own one, but it's got me considering it.

Why would you use a laser to address something which appears to be an obvious lead deficiency?

-Mike

I firmly believe, the second the first shot went off at the guy on the upper level, all you'd see are a**h***s & elbows from the others.

Why would you use a laser to address something which appears to be an obvious lead deficiency?

-Mike

I should have said "before they got close enough to start anything." If they get the message and move on, fine. Otherwise, they've been warned and they've chosen to attack an obviously armed individual at their peril.

In THAT neighborhood, my hand is already on the grip (pocket carry). I'd probably find a nice doorway to shelter in. And go from there.

When do you draw your weapon in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzCKGp3UNU

For those of you in MA, you simply need to take the beating and hope you live through it. [thinking]
Disagree, but it's your playground.

I submit that if you carry a firearm you should also carry pepper spray, although I don't think anyone can say what would have been effective to deter the attack.

Last edited:
Disagree, but it's your playground.

I submit that if you carry a firearm you should also carry pepper spray, although I don't think anyone can say what would have been effective to deter the attack.

What would you have drawn? The pepper spray or the gun? It was 5 on 1.

What would you have drawn? The pepper spray or the gun? It was 5 on 1.
If you can determine what to do from that video, you're a better man than I.

It appears to me the guy who got jumped should have responded to them long before the video started, and no later than at 20 seconds when he was under the street light and had a brick wall behind him. Hoping some guys following you are not going to hurt you is not a plan.

Also I'm an old guy not 20-something so my ability to defend myself and the lethality of the threat to me is completely different. All armchair quarterbacking anyway.

Last edited:
Video aside, five thugs surround you, do you pull a gun or do you pull pepper spray?

Five thugs surround me and I draw my gun. A pack of five dogs surround me and I draw pepper spray.

A beating from five men could leave you dead or a vegetable. That is specifically why I carry in the first place - so that I don't end up as broccoli or fertilizer

ETA: I would doubt that there is enough OC in a single container to subdue 5 men

Video aside, five thugs surround you, do you pull a gun or do you pull pepper spray?
video aside, I don't answer questions like that. Five thugs surround me, I kick my own ass for lack of SA.

Real World, if I see a pack of dudes behind me I usually cross the street to see if they cross with me. Being alone is one thing: being with my wife and family concerns me far more. If we cross I get my family on the other side and then I've got a defensible position where they've had to demonstrate their hostile intent before they are in a position to do anything to us.

Probably not a big concern in Rindge but come on down and we'll go trolling.....

The thing I don't like about OC spray is that when you blast someone with it, they are blinded. Now when you draw your gun, they can't see it, so you have no option but to shoot if the OC does not deter the attack. I think displaying a handgun is a much better deterrent than OC personally.

HUMOR WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS JOCULAR.

I think it's amusing that half yall have moved to or are from rural or suburban areas but you're all planning on how to take on five attackers.

Sounds like some of you should move to Boston, where the scenario would not be as fantastic.

Last edited:
My Fathers first house was on East Second St. My sisters all went to St. Augustine and my brothers to BC high. I was just visiting in Dorchester today.

There are still some real nice parts of the city but I'll pass

Perhaps the thugs as well as the victim were out for a few late night drinks.
Being good citizens, they decided on leaving their Arms at home so they would stay with in the law.

I drink at home...

and the sound at the end of the video is what I can only assume as the victim trying to breath thru his newly redesigned face. This is further reinforcement to always carry, and furthermore, aside from our no-firearms areas that is of course, keep yourself out of harms way. Drinking at your local watering hole 2 min from your house alone is indeed, putting yourself in harms way (assuming your a law abiding individual).
However, no one is perfect, myself included.

I came up with a new acronym for the lady when I'm carrying since she rather verbally be prepared opposed to grabbing the piece with a hug hours later when we're out. If she doesn't hear me rack the slide when we're getting dressed I say, H.I.P! Honey, I'm Packing!

No silly. You start singing kumbaya with your middle aged divorced friends, hand them your wallet and apologize for not having more cash in there for them and feel guilty that they were forced to resort to theft to make ends meet.

My Fathers first house was on East Second St. My sisters all went to St. Augustine and my brothers to BC high. I was just visiting in Dorchester today.

There are still some real nice parts of the city but I'll pass
It's pretty common for everyone has moved from Southie to feel this way. For us, being near Boston Harbor and some of the other benefits of living in the city have made it appealing. Last Summer we timed it and from time we walked out the door ti the time we were sailing away from the mooring was 20 minutes. When you were growing up, being near the harbor was the last thing anyone wanted.

This thread has gotten to never-never land, but being jumped by multiple young men is a distinct possibility in lots of places. There are parts of Manchester NH that are pretty damned dodgy at night.

Most of the gangs in Boston are territorial, not national gangs like Crips Bloods etc, although there is a substantial Hells Angel chapter as well. When I'm walking down the street and see a bunch of kids on a corner, if there all out on the corner I don't worry - they're just hangin' out.

When I do worry is when I see one guy standing in front of a dark doorway. He might be a lookout. I cross, or walk down the middle of the street.

If there seems to be a group of guys following me like in the video, I try to cross at someplace that has a streetlight and some parked cars or other obstacles that will channelize their attack. And if there's a liquor store or variety store on the corner, so much the better. Again I don't really worry when I'm alone, it's when I have the family.

The one time I feel vulnerable is coming back from business trips. I usually take the Red Line home and so I'm walking down the street towing a suitcase in the early AM. I feel like I'm wearing a sign saying "Just came from the airport so I have no weapons of any kind and plenty of money, laptop, iPod, etc."

Last edited:
The one time I feel vulnerable is coming back from business trips. I usually take the Red Line home and so I'm walking down the street towing a suitcase in the early AM. I feel like I'm wearing a sign saying "Just came from the airport so I have no weapons of any kind and plenty of money, laptop, iPod, etc."

Oh yeah, that is a big one. Must be an awesome feeling. I think the same way I really only get concerned when I have my kids with me.

Wrong

This kid obviously knew he was getting rushed... hell I probably would have let 2 rip in the air as soon as that kid turned the corner and run as fast as I can to civilization. I'm not getting crippled by the pussy patrol. I'd take my chances the cops would never show up to shots fired in a ghetto ass street in Richmond VA.

This same video was posted on one of the Subaru forums and plenty of locals commented.

Summary: parts of Richmond, VA makes the worst places in New England look like Club Med.

This same video was posted on one of the Subaru forums and plenty of locals commented.

Summary: parts of Richmond, VA makes the worst places in New England look like Club Med.

Oh yeah, that specific part of Richmond is a train wreck. The video only confirms it. It's too bad the victim didn't take the area seriously.

Tough to comment? You're kidding right?
Bad area? Right. Cause as a free American citizen you shouldn't be able to travel freely.
Really? Fight it out with 5 people? One guy bigger than you is a reasonable threat. 5 guys and a camera is potentially pre-meditated attempted murder.
Escalation of force not there? Escalation of force is anything after I tell you to back the eff off. After that gun is out, after that you get aired out.
You can say what you want as a retort (which is surprising since you're allegedly ignoring me), I'm not going to reply. You're foolish comments will be judged by others. Somehow the state is always right, the guy who carries is always wrong, you're almost never justified in defending yourself, and if necessary just fight it out. Cause really, how many thugs carry knives or other weapons. I mean they seem like they want to fight honorably and all.

Wow, nice video - that was a quick thumpin. Tough to comment on that one, the guy was obviously in a bad area, at night, who knows what happened before - maybe they had a beef in a club, I don't know. Tough call, I think the biggest lesson I draw from that is to not be in bad area's at night, alone. I don't think those thugs would have been deterred by another person though. I'm also not sure if whipping out a gun is the right answer,,, it might be -- but the escalation of force wasn't there, or maybe it was with a mob like that. I don't know, I am not a lawyer. I have been in many "street" fights and part of me says fight it out, part of my says to start pumping those thugs with lead. At what point though, I guess when you fear for your life,,,,,

I just hope to not be in that situation, alone, without a friend or a weapon. But if I was, and I had a weapon on me,,, it is very tough to say what I would do. I mean you carry for those scenario's. But I also try to keep myself from those scenario's unless it is the last resort,,, but sometimes you can't control it.

I definitely don't think putting you hand on your weapon works here, I almost never recommend that -- if you feel threatened enough to put your hand on it,, you should have it in your hands.

Good video,, makes you think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom