Getting a permit with a greencard in MA?

I work with a couple of people who are LEGAL imagrants to the US (Russia and Netherlands), but are not yet citizens. Can they get a permit in MA?

Matt

Green Card

MA does not allow LTC issuance to non-citizens living in the MA (I goofed as said "US" in an earlier verison of this post) however, non-citizens living outside of MA may mail order a non-resident LTC.

Re: Green Card

Rob Boudrie said:
MA does not allow LTC issuance to non-citizens living in the US, however, non-citizens living outside of MA may mail order a non-resident LTC.

Oh... that makes perfect sense... [roll] What a state...

Thanks, I'll just tell them to move back home for a couple of months and reapply for thier green cards! It'll no doubt be easier than trying to apply for an in state liscence!

Matt

Rob Boudrie said:
MA does not allow LTC issuance to non-citizens living in the US, however, non-citizens living outside of MA may mail order a non-resident LTC.

This is in error, although Rob meant it the way I'll describe it below. [wink]

MGLs do NOT allow a legal non-citizen to get a RESIDENT LTC in MA (FID only and that is totally useless).

MGLs DOES allow a legal non-citizen to get a NR LTC in MA . . . as long as they don't live in MA!

Rob erroneously used "US" where he should have said "MA". Rob, remember that MA is NOT part of the US, but it is a Charter Member of the Communist States of America! [roll]

I have a late co-worker and friend who was affected by this back in the 1980s when he moved to the US from the UK for a 3 year stint at DEC in MA. He was a Colonel in the British Army and small arms expert (who worked in advanced weapons development) and thus moved into NH so that he could bring/buy guns and keep/use them while he was here (he also had plenty of toys in the UK that he played with). For those other former DECcies, I'm talking about the late Col. Ian Philpott, a tremendous resource to those of us who were active in the DEC Firearms Notesfile.

Of course, by the end of this legislative session I wouldn't be surprised if they vote to GIVE free LTCs to illegal aliens in MA!! [evil]

As previously indicated and to further clarify (or befuddle) resident, legal aliens can get an FID and may purchase and posess non-high capacity shotguns and rifles. They must apply for the FID through the Firearms Records Bureau and essentially follow the same procedures as for a non-resident LTC.

Mark

Non-Res LTC

One more detail - the non-resident LTC authprizes posession, but not purchase, of ammo in MA.

mark056 said:
Rob,

Please refresh my memory...are they not eligible to get a purchase permit for ammo ?

Mark

No such animal!

A number of years ago the "Simons Rock Law" was passed, PROHIBITING ANYONE that was not a MA Resident from buying any ammo or any long guns in MA. If you do a Search on this forum for Simons Rock, you can find the historical <hysterical> info on this travesty.

Well Len, when I was a non-resident of Massachusetts when I was in the Army, I duitifully went to the old Firearms Bureau at 1010 Commonwealth Ave in Boston (actually on the Brookline line) and for two dollars bought a Purchase Permit which was good, I believe for ten days. It enabled me to purchase a firearm in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I had to do this anytime I wanted to buy a gun. So, I know for a fact that such a permit existed. Since they can also be used to purchase ammunition, I was wondering if a resident alien could obtain one and buy both a non-hi cap long gun and ammuntion. Please see below:

Chapter 140: Section 131A Permits to purchase, rent or lease firearms, or to purchase ammunition; fee; penalties

Section 131A. A licensing authority under section one hundred and thirty-one, upon the application of a person qualified to be granted a license thereunder by such authority, may grant to such a person, other than a minor, a permit to purchase, rent or lease a firearm if it appears that such purchase, rental or lease is for a proper purpose, and may revoke such permit at will. The colonel of the state police or a person authorized by him, upon the application of a person licensed under section one hundred and thirty-one F, may grant to such licensee, other than a minor, a permit to purchase, rent or lease a firearm, rifle or shotgun, or to purchase ammunition therefor, if it appears that such purchase, rental or lease is for a proper purpose, and may revoke such permit at will. Such permits shall be issued on forms furnished by the executive director of the criminal history systems board, shall be valid for not more than ten days after issue, and a copy of every such permit so issued shall within one week thereafter be sent to the said executive director. The licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the caliber and capacity of the firearm to be purchased, rented or leased as he deems proper. Whoever knowingly issues a permit in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars and by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years in a jail or house of correction.

Mark

Mark,

So you are the single person who actually used that Permit to Purchase in the old days! [!] [lol]

I remember Ron Glidden telling me that he did some research on that portion of the law and ONLY could find ONE documented case of such a permit being issued! [wink] [Obviously there were probably more than one, but perhaps their records were less than accurate. [wink] Regardless it was a rarely used permit.]

Remember what I said:

- "Simons Rock" made it illegal to sell ammo to NRs, regardless of any MA permits in possession.

- This happened in recent years, perhaps 4-5 years ago. I remember this BS, but I don't recall exactly which year it happened.

- 1010 Comm Ave has been shutdown since at least 1998.

So, we are both right, unfortunately what I stated is TODAY's law. [cry]

That said, many places will sell ammo with no questions asked. I have never been asked for any permits at gun shows when buying mags or ammo. [And some gun shows I have attended have more ammo dealers than "nasty Steve from NY" at them.

LenS said:
MGLs do NOT allow a legal non-citizen to get a RESIDENT LTC in MA (FID only and that is totally useless).

Len,

Is it a regular FID: good for six years, etc? I seem to remember something about aliens getting a one year permit but I may be getting confused with the non-resident permits.

Len,

I did a Google search on Simon's Rock Law and the only thing that popped up was a reference to the original shooting incident at Simon's Rock College in Great Barrington in the early 90's. Time permitting, I will resort to doing some research on the subject. The MGL that I quoted is still on the books (as are many old laws).

There must have been some really poor record keeping. Any military person who wanted to purchase a firearm in Massachusetts had to get one of those permits and I know that I used at least six of them over an eight year period and I wasn't alone.

The old Dept of Public Safety (now Executive Office of Public Saftey) Building at 1010 Commonwealth Ave shut down circa 1994 and its various offices dispersed throughout the state i.e. Firearms Bureau to Chelsea (eventually after several temp locations) State Police Headquarters to Framingham etc.. Sometime on a slow day on the forum, I'll relate several stories (one of which I was directly involved in) regarding its closure. I can assure that it will really make Derek's blood boil when he hears about that boondoggle. [wink]

Mark

DR, AFAIK the FID for aliens is the same as for citizens, just issued by the state instead of local PD . . . ergo it should be for 6 years (assuming that both LTC and FID got the 6 year boost . . . something that I am not 100%certain about).

Non-Residents get the 1 year LTCs, except for military I believe qualify for 2 year NR LTCs.

Confusing as hell!

LenS said:
Non-Residents get the 1 year LTCs, except for military I believe qualify for 2 year NR LTCs.
I think couriers for money transfer companies can also get 2 year non-res LTCs.

Mark,

Re sales of ammo to NRs with MA LTC:

This is a IIRC . . . if you have access to Ron Glidden you can ask him for the definitive answer to this.

IIRC, the Simons Rock law REMOVED language from Ch. 140 S. 131E so that it reads as follows now:

Any resident of the commonwealth may purchase firearms, rifles, shotguns and ammunition feeding devices from any dealer licensed under section 122, or from such person as shall be qualified under section 128A, or ammunition from a licensee under section 122B,

There is more ugliness in this particular law, but the above addresses the specific issue in "the absence".
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131e.htm

It is my understanding that it originally read something like "any resident or non-resident . . . " and they removed the "non-resident" part, which then made it illegal for a dealer to sell ANY ammo, long guns, or mags/clips to any non-resident!

Back
Top Bottom