• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gabe Suarez's comments on the VT shootings

JimConway

Instructor
The following is a post by Gabe Suarez for another forum. This post has been copied with his permission.

"By now the news about the shootings at Virginia Tech have reached everyone. I hate hearing about things like this. I hate it not only because some probably good people were killed (I say probably because I didn't know any of them), but because those who hate us and our way of life will seek to use these events to further their political agendas. I can almost see Pelosi and Hillary snickering over their bubbling cauldrons at their "good fortune"

I wrote a piece a few months ago on how to prevent these things and it involves, simply and decidedly, that being armed is the best solution.

Point One: It is already illegal to do what the gunman did...murder people...but he did it anyway...sadly, the law failed.
Point Two: It is illegal to bring guns into the University, yet that didn't stop the gunman. He did it anyway...again, the law failed.
Point Three: As courageous as the University police may be...as trained and equipped as they may be...they are totally irrelevant in such events. As we saw, they did not stop this man. He killed a boatload of people unbothered by the enforcers of the law, the prosecutors of the law, and of course, unbothered by those who obey the law.

Again...THE LAW FAILED.

There are only three conclusions we may reach here.

Conclusion One: These events are unavoidable and some people will simply die this way in the society we have. I personally refuse to accept that under any terms.
Conclusion Two: These event can be stopped by making it illegal for civilians to possess guns. The stupidity of this arguement cannot be overstated, yet that is undoubtedly what we will hear. I will reference all to the points above. In short, as they all invariably do, THE LAW FAILED.
Conclusion Three: Allow those who wish to, to carry guns for their own protection. (and I would add, make any organization that enacts policies to prevent the free exercise of civil rights, liable for any crimes of violence). I think of the three, this one makes the most sense, but probably the one least considered.

Some would say that an armed man or woman would only be able to protect themselves and would not have stopped the gunman. I disagree if in the act of this self-protection, they killed the gunman. What if the first or second intended victim had been one of these? How many lives would have been saved by one civilian carrying a pistol? After all...with all the cops in and around the college already, they could not prevent the shooter from killing again. The law failed here as well did it not?

On the shooter, few facts are coming out. This makes me wonder. First of all, I find it a very strange coincidence that every time some sort of anti-gun (anti-civil rights) legislation is being discussed, something like this happens. I'm not suggesting anything, but the contestants on Deal or No Deal should have as much "coincidental happenstance".

Regardless of where all of the fallout takes us, I expect a greater impetus in the left's attempts to deny our civil right to own and carry guns. I have just ordered a boatload of pistol and rifle magazines for sale at our store, and another two crates of ammo for our own armory."

Well written and well said.

I might add, that these VICTIMS entrusted THIER LIVES in the existing laws and forces. Their reward for this TRUST, DEATH by the very means they were paying and trusting would not happen.

Why is a person not liable to protect their own God Given life? Who says it has to be trusted to someone else to protect? We have proof after proof where the forces who are paid and enacted to protect, are unable to accomplish the task, so why do we continue to believe it is the lack of laws that takes lives and the silly notion that someone else can better protect it than YOU?

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but maybe it will take a lawsuit against those who denied them their rights to fix this situation.

Sorry Coyote,

I think we both know it will be the Gun Manufacturers, the Gun Dealers and the Law Abidding Gun Owning U.S. Citizen who will without doubt suffer, again.

I hate to say it, but maybe it will take a lawsuit against those who denied them their rights to fix this situation.

I would agree with this, but it will only happen if there is a victim to act
as a catalyst....

ex- "My son so and so carried a legal gun every day... except when he went
to class, due to the policy of the university. He's dead now." = civil suit for
negligence / endangerment or something? Who knows.

I'm guessing this has never been tried because of the probability of all the
right pieces being in place is pretty tough. You'd have to present a
convincing argument that the victim would have been carrying a gun that
day, and also that the victim only did not carry a gun because of the
policy. If there was an award for that kind of thing ever, then you probably
would see a lot of anti gun administrative policy drift more into
"don't ask don't tell" territory.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom