FX network’s “30 Days” — living with a gun enthusiast —

I think their mistake was trying to pick one area that represented the "heart of gun country". They should have brought her around to 3 different locales of the culture to show the differences. 10 days within each area. The northeast definitely should have been one of them. She could have discovered it in her home town if she wanted.

"I think the Second Amendment is outdated and antiquated, but it’s in the Constitution and I respect that,” she said.

“I am not afraid of the gun. I am afraid of the whack-job who gets the gun,” said Lalli, a hip-hop dance instructor who owns a studio in Weymouth.

"I think the First Amendment is outdated & antiquated (not really, but you get my drift), but it's in the Constitution, so I have to listen to your crap."

I'm not afraid of the gun. I'm afraid of this lady, because she's not alone in her moonbattery.

Last edited:
I think there is another message as far as the Kid being portrayed as a dumb gun freak who isn't going anywhere.

That would be a pretty good description of my years in high school.

I regret to this day that I never met a teacher or guidance counselor who could have steered me toward Math, to learn ballistics, chemistry, to learn about gunpowder or explosives. Science to understand recoil, trajectory and Ft Lbs of energy.

If any teacher had ever said... X=powder charge, Y=weight of projectile, z= friction resistance in the barrel. Now, tell me how far a 158 Grain .357 magnum bullet will drop when fired directly horizontal to the ground at 100 meters with a charge of 10 Grains of Unique in an 8 inch revolver barrel?

I might have discovered I liked Math, Science, and other fields, and I might have applied myself.

Being exposed to the college is a good idea. The kid can learn he can get a degree in animal husbandry, and be a conservation officer. He can become a mechanical engineer and design and build better guns. He could also become a gunsmith, Environmental Police, Game Warden, Ranger, all because some smart teacher recognized the kids interest in guns and used that love to guide him to a successful career that will keep him interested and striving to learn more.

All these things work in harmony with his love of guns. He might be the next Eugene Stoner, Kalashnikov, Samuel Colt, Skeeter Skelton, Elliot Ness, Jim Cirillo, Doc Edgerton, or Dynamite Nobel.

Last edited:
While I agree with many of the previous posters listing all the "Brady Points", I think that overall. for a TV program, it was reasonably balanced. Also. at the very end, she did seem a bit less biased and afraid of all those "crazy gun nuts".

I did cringe when they gave her a shotgun for her first shooting experience and cringed further when she appeared to put the gun down muzzle first on the (maybe) concrete pad!

I think that they could have found better people for both sides. For the anti, how about a person who has not been personally affected by a firearm incident ( the death by shooting of her therapist friend). For the pro-gun side, how about a "complete" family, father, mother and child with the child attending the local public school instead of being home schooled.

I'm sure we all would like to think we could have produced a better show, and maybe some of us could. After all is said and done I give it a "passing grade".

Brockton gun control advocate spends ‘30 Days’ in the heart of gun country

http://www.enterprisenews.com/homepage/x1816438330/Brockton-gun-control-advocate-spends-30-Days-in-the-heart-of-gun-country

BROCKTON — Pia Arnone Lalli was driving to work in San Diego when she heard the news bulletin — shots fired at an office complex. The gunman was still inside.

She froze when she saw the TV newscast later. It was where her former therapist, Rita Powers, practiced. The camera cut to a shot of Powers’ nameplate.

It was 1996. A transgendered patient seeking mandatory counseling for a sex change had murdered Powers when she refused to sign off on the operation.

Lalli, 39, who now lives in Brockton, has since become a face of gun control — an image she’ll take to TV viewers on Tuesday.

Please, GO BACK to San Diego!

I did cringe when they gave her a shotgun for her first shooting experience and cringed further when she appeared to put the gun down muzzle first on the (maybe) concrete pad!

Yeah, I noticed the same thing and thought maybe she had the muzzle on top of her shoe, which is sort-of a standard practice on [some] skeet fields. They even sell little shoe protector pads that clip onto your laces. Still, I've never felt comfortable doing it, and it seems to me that it clearly violates one of the basic rules of gun safety.

I think we all might have been just like her at first if not brought up in a pro gun household. I remember shooting my father's weapons that were purchased out of necessity as a requirement of his job, I was petrified and thought that he was out of his mind. The snubbie and .45 kicked like a rented mule, and the lever action almost blew my shoulder out. I didn't go to the range after that for over 5 years. Then the bad guys (neighbors 2 houses away) starting B&E into the neighborhood where I reside and everything changed. Safety,knowledge, and training make it fun and give peace of mind both at the same time. I would hate to have to pull the trigger on a person but if I had to defend myself or family at least I know I can protect if necessary.

First off, I enjoyed her doing her little aerobics thing at the beginning, I'd tag it. And she'd probably be happier by the end of the 30 days if she got some...

Anyway, I thought the show was surprisingly fair, or at least tried their hardest. I think they gave her the shotgun to see her cry, I mean, hell, I would too. I'd love to watch her cry after shooting a gun for the first time, just for shits and giggles. I think it was good that she was smiling when she was shooting he handgun.

They did a bad job portraying the kid. I'd rather see her placed into my [STRIKE]bed [/STRIKE]house, and she can see what living with a MA resident and gun owner is like... oh hell its alot different than Ohio... It would have been fairer too to show MA type laws, since she was bitching about MA (Brockton) gun violence. The 4 FTFs a year, the crazyness with getting a LTC, fingerprints and PIN numbers and nutty FA-10s... that would have really made the show "fair"

Suddenly I have an urge to start taking aerobics classes in Brockton. Can anyone recommend a good place? [wink][wink]

I just finished watching this on Hulu. Overall, I thought it was pretty fair. I was actually surprised at how balanced the producers were in covering the topic. I think it might be good material to pass along to the gun grabbers around here. Sure, she was incredibly misguided and irrational through 90% of it, but I think she really started to come around at the end.

Of course, this might just be me feeling generous and non-cynical just before bedtime.

Last edited:
I just finished watching this on Hulu. Overall, I thought it was pretty fair. I was actually surprised at how balanced the producers were in covering the topic. I think it might be good material to pass along to the gun grabbers around here. Sure, she was incredibly misguided and irrational through 90% of it, but I think she really started to come around at the end.

Of course, this might just be me feeling generous and non-cynical just before bedtime.

Agreed.

Another 30 days, and maybe another gun owner in the USA!! (maybe?)

They'd have to call it "120 Days" though.

...EPIC! [rofl] That, sir, is milk-out-the-nose funny!

I just finished watching the Hulu episode, and I was unimpressed. I thought that a good 80% of that was pandering to the "emotional-anti" crowd, and the last 20% where she started to come around was fairly low-key compared to the scenes of her bawling her eyes out after firing a shotgun. [rolleyes]

I also would've liked to have seen her paired up with a gun owner who was a bit more articulate. Granted, I think the guy did a pretty good job, but I can't help but think that she would've gotten some more eloquent and topical rebuttals to a lot of her gun-owning concerns if she'd been paired with someone from MA who was a gun enthusiast. Us MA gun owners are so used to having to justify our love of the sport, we've had to dig a little deeper for rebuttals and counter-arguments to a lot of the anti's rhetoric. If the family she stayed with was a bit less "all guns, all the time", maybe had a few other outside interests that she could relate to, perhaps she would've warmed up a bit quicker than 'Day 29.5'.

Last edited:
LOL, for some reason I didnt read your post and I thought it was going to be a pic album of the chick... I've got to get my head out of the gutter tonight...

Dude, about 30 seconds of googling will get you her MySpace, phone number, YouTube channel and two different email addresses if you *really* want it. [wink]

if she'd been paired with someone from MA who was a gun enthusiast.
It would have helped if they chose someone who did not live in a dump, and incorporated the RKBA lifestyle into a more well rounded life dealing with problems like one of my shooting buddies has with his kids like "Tubular or heads up red dot scope for junior's new handgun?"; "should the kid re-take the SAT's to try to make up the 80 points he fell short of a 2400?", and "should the next family gun be an AR15 or AR10"?

The guy and his kid seemed like nice people I wouldn't mind shooting with, but they reinforced the stereotype of lightly educated people in hicksville rather than friends, co-workers and neighbors of everyday people from all walks of life.

Last edited:
The guy and his kid seemed like nice people I wouldn't mind shooting with, but they reinforced the stereotype of lightly educated people in hicksville rather than friends, co-workers and neighbors of everyday people from all walks of life.
That was my biggest complaint...

Overall, they did more to influence the anti than having any impact whatsoever on the "gun enthusiast", but clearly the editorial bias there of pairing her with a "rural" family with a kid not headed for college without her divine intervention is absurd...

As above, it would have been more honest to pair her with someone in MA, NJ, NY or CA...

Overall, I have to say it was more "balanced" than I would have expected going into it...

As above, it would have been more honest to pair her with someone in MA, NJ, NY or CA...

I don't know if that's really "more honest" though because we're the exception rather than the rule in this country. That said, if she had to deal with an MA resident gunperson (say someone from NES) she would have gotten a bit of enlightenment on what happens when gun control gets out of hand, eg, the end results, as we see in MA. Would have been interesting to see how she handled going through a program like Women On Target, etc- she'd have to deal with the fact that other women (not all that much different from her) were seeking instruction on how to safely use a firearm. She would be placed in a position where she would not be able to rely on her usual preconceived stereotypes about gun ownership and use. This isn't much different from doobie's "open carry litter pickup" idea. Face people with an unresolvable/not easily resolvable mental conundrum which challenges their stereotypes, and you might actually cause them to think for a change instead of relying on a gut reaction based off of crap they thought they knew. [laugh]

-Mike

I'd LOVE to see a second episode where she attempts to become a licensed gun owner in Brockton. They'd have to call it "120 Days" though.

It'd be funny as hell having a scene where a gun lawyer basically tells her the license she just received was only a half a notch above worthless because the PD restricted it, and then her having to "process" that- that merely jumping through all the flaming hoops provided is not enough to obtain "permission" to protect yourself.

-Mike

depends on what town you live in or which cable service you have, is going to determine what chanel. As far as the dum/smart comment, your probably right... I dont think they should have put with someone who is that enthusiastic about guns though, I would have started her off with someone a little milder than that...

Wouldn't make for as interesting of a TV show, even if it would have been better to get her over her fears.

Back
Top Bottom