Funny NH Moment

Yeah, totally a different world up here. Been in NH for 6 years now and have never looked back. I've poked fun at MA gun owners here from time to time but seriously, I felt and still feel your pain

I hear that. I did 9 years in the PRM. JP for 5, and Lynn for 4. My wife and I were younger, and went to a lot of live music in Boston/Cambridge/Allston.It suited us then. 2 1/2 years ago, my wife's mother came into a substantial inheritance, and she broke off a chunk for my wife. We had been talking about making the move, but wanted to just rent till we got a feel for NH and where we eventually wanted to buy. Since we're both active surfers, we've been focusing on things within 20 min. of the coast. NH really suits us both now. The wife was born and bred in Boston, and wasn't sure it would be for her. Now? Couldn't drag her away from NH.

I hear that. I did 9 years in the PRM. JP for 5, and Lynn for 4. My wife and I were younger, and went to a lot of live music in Boston/Cambridge/Allston.It suited us then. 2 1/2 years ago, my wife's mother came into a substantial inheritance, and she broke off a chunk for my wife. We had been talking about making the move, but wanted to just rent till we got a feel for NH and where we eventually wanted to buy. Since we're both active surfers, we've been focusing on things within 20 min. of the coast. NH really suits us both now. The wife was born and bred in Boston, and wasn't sure it would be for her. Now? Couldn't drag her away from NH.

The wife dragged me to m*******vania years ago. Finally threw off the shackles.

I think about the mid 90's it really started to change and change fast. I grew up there and when I was in my teens (1970's in Billerica) it was not unusual for us to walk done the street with shotgun over our shoulder and the cops would just wave as they went by. We had a rifle range in the High School, Local gun clubs had very active junior shooting programs.

Prior to the 1998 gun law, nobody cared if some one open carried. A LTC was required and the reason to issue was just that, it did not become a statutory restriction until 1998.

Yup we used to walk to the dump to shoot rats.
If the cops came down they just asked how many we got.
Brought shotguns on the bus to go bird hunting after school. We just stacked them in the principals office.
Used to show off the new guns at the coffee shop on opening day of hunting.
No one died and no one wet their panties.
We kept the . 410 loaded on the porch for woodchucks in the garden.
And it was a safer world to live in back then, go figure.

How far back do you have to go? I didn't grow up in Mass, only lived there as an adult. I wonder if you can pinpoint when it started to change.

Less than a generation, at least in the Berkshires. Students keeping rifles in their lockers at school 'cause'n they were going to use 'em right afterwards.Teachers, principal chatting with students about brands, etc.

Really.

Brought shotguns on the bus to go bird hunting after school. We just stacked them in the principals office.
Used to show off the new guns at the coffee shop on opening day of hunting.
No one died and no one wet their panties.
We kept the . 410 loaded on the porch for woodchucks in the garden.

Not bitching. Just strategically keeping her away from some of the higher end products. She's compiling parts for her AR build right now. She's a little ADD, so we're keeping on track. One thing at a time honey, we'll get you that nice 1911, as soon as we secure a mortgage. It'll be my housewarming present to you. Focus. Focus. [wink]

Just tell her you need a house first to store all the guns in.

That's the culture I grew up in. We moved around alot when I was a kid. Lived in Georgia, Montana, Michigan. This was in the early 80's, and there was no such thing as a "gun culture". Most people just owned guns, and didn't talk endlessly about them. They just used them for their intended purpose as the tool that they are.

I grew up in OH and it was this way. Aside from the liberal hellholes it's still true.

now the challenge is to keep NH like that.

remember that it can change with just one election, With Mass still experiencing "suburban flight, north to NH" with them comes a lot of the same shit that they are trying to escape.

In the last decade, I've personally seen it in Colorado, where the Kalifornians escape to freedom and poison that state. And now I live in CT where the New Yorkers and M*******s effed this place too. One election and some dead kids changed the whole state. Thankfully I didn't see it happen while living in Florida, and while living (briefly) in Georgia, you saw it in the sprawl of Altlanta, but the rest of the state keeps the elected in check

When we bought the place in NH I joked with the real estate agent, "So once we leave are you going to make jokes about 'The Boston people?"

"Lord no!" she replied, "There's a long list of locals we need to make fun of before we get to you." [laugh]

The guy we bought the place from was a rock musician and she told us she'd been to a party there. "Good party?" I asked. "I don't remember."

She was on a roll.....

remember that it can change with just one election, With Mass still experiencing "suburban flight, north to NH" with them comes a lot of the same shit that they are trying to escape.
You can't draw that conclusion from the numbers. Some people who move to NH are left, some right. Those here seem overwhelmingly right of center, for example.

And there is a substantial counter-flow. From 2007-2011 over 11,000 people moved from NH to MA. Not safe to assume they are left or right leaning as a whole, either. One could postulate they are mostly young people and left of center, but there's no data to support that I'm aware of.

What I find fascinating is that the FSP project believes they only need 20,000 committed people to achieve their political goals, while with over 350,000 LCF holders in MA a lot of people here say the situation is hopeless. 350,000 people who vote in every election could take over the state.

Last edited:
What I find fascinating is that the FSP project believes they only need 20,000 committed people to achieve their political goals, while with over 350,000 LCF holders in MA a lot of people here say the situation is hopeless. 350,000 people who vote in every election could take over the state.

The FSP numbers make sense to me - just because there are 350k LTC holders in the DPRMA, does not mean they are all committed, vote, or pay attention. A large percentage of the committed are here on NES, which I believe skews our impressions of gun owners in MA. If we could manage 20k committed, aware and politically active people here, I'm sure we'd notice.

I went to Shooter's Outpost today and it's now officially a "Husband Day Care Center" on their sign. Once you go in, it's 100% true too. Saw a wife sitting in the car looking POed, girlfriends/wives in the store staring into phones and then hearings words like "lift kits" and "Mass Compliant." I did see a couple BARs, a C. Sharps and a Burnside carbine for sale.

Besides those three guns though, I really don't think that store carries anything that I want/need going forward.

I guess I'm lucky in that my wife will be one of them sitting in the car, but she doesn't mind. She can keep herself entertained on her phone while I'm in the store. Its fair seeing the amount of time I've spent in the mall when she's just "running in for a second". She stays out of my basement and I stay out of her closet. [wink]

As to gun stores like Shooter's Outpost, they have a lot of turnaround so there's always different things coming in and going out. So visiting from time to time always has new stuff to check out.

I want mine to get into shooting but you've just outlined my biggest fear

If that's your biggest fear, your glass is about 99% full.

You can't draw that conclusion from the numbers. Some people who move to NH are left, some right. Those here seem overwhelmingly right of center, for example.

And there is a substantial counter-flow. From 2007-2011 over 11,000 people moved from NH to MA. Not safe to assume they are left or right leaning as a whole, either. One could postulate they are mostly young people and left of center, but there's no data to support that I'm aware of.

NH is purple trending blue. Voted for Obama. TWICE. Hassan is the D governor. Elected TWICE. Shaheen is a Senator. Ayotte might as well be a Democrat. Kuster is all D. Guinta....scandal-boy and his grip on office is on the rocks.

The results (sadly) indicate the massification of NH.

Note that I say this as someone who owns a house in NH, and had planned retirement there. Now I am not so sure. Ceding national elections because there are local Republicans voted in is not good enough.

The FSP numbers make sense to me - just because there are 350k LTC holders in the DPRMA, does not mean they are all committed, vote, or pay attention. A large percentage of the committed are here on NES, which I believe skews our impressions of gun owners in MA. If we could manage 20k committed, aware and politically active people here, I'm sure we'd notice.

If each LTC holder convinced 3-5 people to vote anti-D and SHOW UP on election day, this would be a better place to live.

Last edited:
I was in Pelham yesterday, sniffing around enjoying the scent of freedom. I finally got my wife to strongly start considering southern NH, and she now sees that we can get twice the house in quality, as well as twice the land while staying at the same price point. Found a beautiful house, walked out the side of the second detached garage and came face to face with a pen full of turkeys right on the property line. Strangely enough, they were being visited by 4 wild turkeys at that time too. My wife didnt like the idea of their likely fate, and I know that it would be a problem with my PETA member 12 yo step daughter. FML

The hunt goes on, but I can smell the freedom!

Funny NH moment:

Four-door-down neighbor's wife gets up early because she has horses. Lets the dogs out at 3:30 to do their morning business. 5 minutes later there's a loud commotion and the dogs are going crazy. She looks outside to see one of the dogs wrapped up with a fisher. They're rolling around on the ground. Dog is barking. Fisher is screaming. Other dog is barking. Cindy looks out and freaks. She yells for her husband. "JIMMY!!!" Jim hears the scream. Grabs the gun out of the nightstand and runs outside. Sees the fight and takes a shot at the fisher. Fisher immediately stops and hightails it right up a tree. Jim decides not to try another shot. They get the dogs and go back inside.

Next day, they're talking to across-the-street neighbor.

"Sorry about last night. Did we wake you?"
"I woke up about 3. I heard tons of barking and commotion. Then I heard Cindy yell "JIMMY!", then a gun shot, then everything was quiet"
"What did you do?"
"I rolled over and went back to sleep. THIS IS NEW HAMPSHIRE."

In the last decade, I've personally seen it in Colorado, where the Kalifornians escape to freedom and poison that state. And now I live in CT where the New Yorkers and M*******s effed this place too. One election and some dead kids changed the whole state. Thankfully I didn't see it happen while living in Florida, and while living (briefly) in Georgia, you saw it in the sprawl of Altlanta, but the rest of the state keeps the elected in check

Connecticut had an AWB before 2012. I used to live on the RI side of the Connecticut border in Rhode Island and it didn't change much from what I saw between say 1994 when I was 3 and now. I was in CT pretty much every day or every week. But that's mostly Windham and New London counties, I know the NY side of the state is being overrun by New Yorkers.

In any state, although there is movement of people, the local core of people doesn't change much in attitude. Vermonters began voting for Bernie Sanders in the 1960s, which was the turning point of the Republicans loosing Vermont and the Dems taking over. Mass and CT have always been the most liberal areas of New England and were designed to be that way before the Puritans left England.

New Hampshire surprises me on occasion. Driving by a dairy farm on the way to Laconia on US3? Massive Bernie sign. Brand new timber frame house off of US3 near Nashua? Massive Trump sign. Random town somewhere? You get all the signs.

Connecticut had an AWB before 2012. I used to live on the RI side of the Connecticut border in Rhode Island and it didn't change much from what I saw between say 1994 when I was 3 and now. I was in CT pretty much every day or every week. But that's mostly Windham and New London counties, I know the NY side of the state is being overrun by New Yorkers. In any state, although there is movement of people, the local core of people doesn't change much in attitude. Vermonters began voting for Bernie Sanders in the 1960s, which was the turning point of the Republicans loosing Vermont and the Dems taking over. Mass and CT have always been the most liberal areas of New England and were designed to be that way before the Puritans left England. New Hampshire surprises me on occasion. Driving by a dairy farm on the way to Laconia on US3? Massive Bernie sign. Brand new timber frame house off of US3 near Nashua? Massive Trump sign. Random town somewhere? You get all the signs.

That's true. I know both of the houses you mentioned. I think the Bernie sign is in Tilton or Belmont.

That's true. I know both of the houses you mentioned. I think the Bernie sign is in Tilton or Belmont.

I believe it's Tilton, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone could GoogleMaps it if they wanted. It's not a new farmhouse, kind of run down. The kind of run down that old residents tend to have, like when you go up north to say Colebrook and look at the houses.

Unfortunately you're either not paying attention or you're cherry picking results...most people make the same mistake so its ok.

If you throw in what NH does pretty consistently at the STATE level you will see a very different picture.....a legislature that is VERY Red.....so red that recently we had supermajorities in the House AND Senate and beat down Lynch pretty thouroughly

Why is it that NH has struggled with the Gov's office, Senate and House?.....its because of the NHGOP primarily and out of state money backing the big gov progressive/establishment candidates THEY want in DC......when you throw in the recent export of that POS scott brown from Mass and a pile of out of state money it changes the picture a bit eh?

Sen Gregg....progressive who ACCEPTED a job from Obama only to recind it
Sen Sununu progressive who tried to out progressive Shaheen and lost
Rep Bass....same as above

Look at who is supporting Kasich....none other than Sununu......

Defeat the NHGOP and the delegates that have infested it and NH will elect top of the ticket folks like we do at the state level

Well thought out post here. I agree that we need to get rid of the NHGOP. They're wolves in sheep's clothing. If I know NH like I think I do, the folks who actually either come from NH or migrated here as freedom loving people from MA will not stand for it happening up here and will recognize the NHGOP is not our friend...but time will tell

I believe it's Tilton, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone could GoogleMaps it if they wanted. It's not a new farmhouse, kind of run down. The kind of run down that old residents tend to have, like when you go up north to say Colebrook and look at the houses.

Yup. Same one I'm thinking about. Left hand side headed toward Laconia. Sits on a small hill.

A fair chunk of our police, particularly state police are nervous nellies about firearms While many locals and some sherriffs are pretty decent, never forget that in NH all police have to go through the same indoctrination in Concord.......

This...

Anecdotal to be sure but this morning I was talking with a NH State Police Trooper visiting his uncle here in Mass and he kept going on how everybody he stopped in NH has a gun these days and how dangerous it is yadda, yadda.

I'd be careful who you say that to. There was a big shooting of 4 policemen in Colebrook in 1997. The left has accused Free Staters of idolizing the shooter. I don't know if any Free Staters said anything about him. Note: I don't have a horse in the race. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Drega

Be careful of what? It was a sarcastic comment meant to point out the infrequency of police getting shot up here. I couldn't care less what the FSP believes. I met a bunch of them when we first moved up, but have had zero interaction with them since.

Last edited:
Be careful of what? It was a sarcastic comment meant to point out the infrequency of police getting shot up here. I could care less what the FSP believes. I met a bunch of them when we first moved up, but have had zero integration with them since.

I meant the Dems. The people in NH I know tend to be pro-cop and some people have long memories.

I realize it's not a common thing in NH or New England, but cops do get shot and killed in NH.

Back
Top Bottom