• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fudd Quotes at The Range

I got that from a couple of guys years ago. I had a G19 and a G26 with me. They were just asking if I was a cop. LOL They were good guys. One of them had a Daewoo pistol with the funkiest safety I've ever seen.

Anyone who rests the bbl of the gun on their toe needs some ejamacation. (I know they make toe-holdery-thingies. And some STILL just rest the gun on their foot.)
If its a break action over under I get the whole resting it on your foot thing........its out of battery......no way in hell its going to go off. I have seen guys with semi autos rest the barrel on their toe though......that's just dumb. Even worse.......I saw a guy at a sporting clays range in MD years ago with the butt stock of his shotgun on a bench.....and he had his hand over the muzzle and was resting his chin on his hand while he was waiting for his turn to shoot. unreal.

The guy that swept me in my original post......it wasn't even a break action over under.......it was a semi auto shotgun.

A BOD member who later became club president for quite a few years (he's the reason I quit that club after 24 yrs):
  • Requested the BOD to shut down the outdoor range whenever skeet or trap was being shot as the noise "bothered" him and some of his friends (he was skeet/trap chairman at the time).
  • The 1998 gun law won't affect us, it might affect our grandchildren.
  • I know all about the 1998 gun law since I have lunch with the clerk of court each week. [This was just before the law went into effect.]
  • We put a restriction of only allowing 6 rds to be loaded on the outdoor range and 5 rds on the indoor range at any time. When I asked him "why" the answer was due to the incident in Westfield (8 yo killed himself with an out of control micro-Uzi).
From a former FFL and now convicted felon:
  • You can buy new large-capacity mags. That was a silly law that expired!
OMG we are going through the outdoor range hours/trap hours debate now at my club. Well.....its not a debate really the president of the club has told the trap coordinator that the outdoor range will stay open when trap is open. It all hit when we started running plate shoot practices on the same night as trap league. I run the plate practices and it is the only night I have available to do it.

Comments from the trap guys:
1. we can't hear the scores being read over the load speaker at the end of the round. Answer.....you can just go inside the shed and look at the sheet.
2. The noise doesn't allow the guys to concentrate. Answer.....if you shoot trap at most major ATA venues there are multiple roounds of trap being run at the same time.....get over it.
3. The noise from the spinner targets sets off the voice activated system. Answer......sorry......we'll keep the plates and spinners on the 25 yard line further from the trap range (that one I understood because if the noise is launching clays due to the voice activated system we'll adjust). I did get a laugh out of that one though!

If its a break action over under I get the whole resting it on your foot thing........its out of battery......no way in hell its going to go off. I have seen guys with semi autos rest the barrel on their toe though......that's just dumb.

With a semi, the bolt is still open. Not much more risk than a break action, unless you are suggesting the possibility of the bolt suddenly slamming forward and the shotgun slam firing.

However, a muzzle pad on the ground would be a better option (magnetic even better for easy retrieval).

With a semi, the bolt is still open. Not much more risk than a break action, unless you are suggesting the possibility of the bolt suddenly slamming forward and the shotgun slam firing.

However, a muzzle pad on the ground would be a better option (magnetic even better for easy retrieval).
All truth be told I'm actually okay with somebody pointing a gun at their own body parts! Just don't Point them at mine!

The worst I ever encountered was some guy with a new-to-him FAL. He had the target set at 25yds. Fired slow fire. Group about the size of a watermelon. "Gosh this groups great. Talk about accurate." LOL

My FNFAL Belgium made MATCH 308 in 1975, I zeroed at 100 yards, moved directly to the 600 yard range and put 5 rounds inside the ten ring with no sighting shots, just clicks from the dope. (water melon size group) Iron sights, prone position, hasty sling WITH a witness. That rifle could shoot and I never should have sold it.

"No one needs a rifle that big". ...the day I was doing the initial zero on my Barrett sights and scope. I'll decide what I need, thank you.
"How big is that magazine?" ....when shooting a standard cap mag on my AR, a 25 rounder on my 10-22 I've had since '94, and a 30 rounder on my M1 Carbine. Big enough....
"That's an awful lot of ammunition....are you going to war?" .....at Dick's when buying about 1200 rounds of .223, 1000 rounds of 9MM, 500 rounds of 7.62x39 and ~2000 rounds of Fed Automatch .22....for a planned weekend range trip to NH. Shot it all and then some that weekend

A NES'urrr who's screen name I can't remember pointed out that my East German 74 bakelite mags were high capacity post ban mags,ya know,for my own good.At that moment,I realized that Harvard SC was in a tailspin lol

How do I know he was a member ? Because he was with his buddy and all it seemed they were talking about was threads on NES and they mentioned screen names.

So ya,Fudds also own AR15's and are also members of this site.

Recently at the range with my daughter, she shoots my 10/22. She's 15 and has been shooting since she was 9 and is an excellent shot. She likes to load up my 25 round magazines for the 10/22 and click through them. I'm 2 stalls down doing my thing, when on of the guys at the range gets my attention and asks, "Should your daughter be using those magazines?" I asked, "Why, do you have larger capacity ones she can use?" Got a 'Heh...' out of him and a weird look. Oh well.

-chris

All truth be told I'm actually okay with somebody pointing a gun at their own body parts! Just don't Point them at mine!

I've been lucky, I've only ever had to correct three people on the trap field at our club. One was a girl who was resting the muzzle of the (semi-auto) gun on her toe and closing the bolt while it was still on her toe, one was a kid bringing his daddy's 870 into the house with the action closed, and the last one was a real chode on the station next to me who crossed the firing line to pick up empty hulls while people were still shooting and then proceeded to give me attitude about correcting him.

The f***ing skeet guys who like to toss the barrels over their shoulder and sweep everyone behind them constantly drive me nuts, though. I get that it's an accepted way to carry an O/U, but Jesus do I hate it.

on of the guys at the range gets my attention and asks, "Should your daughter be using those magazines?" I asked, "Why, do you have larger capacity ones she can use?"

-chris

I lol'd. My kids are savages burning through ammo. I sometimes bring 10 rounders just to slow their burn rate

I lol'd. My kids are savages burning through ammo. I sometimes bring 10 rounders just to slow their burn rate

Yeah, when I was little my brother and I would see how fast we could go through 22LR with a rd mag in a bolt action. 10 in a semi-auto, and a brick wouldn't have lasted too long.

"Nobody needs _________________..."

"______________ is/are illegal in this state..."

Substitute all manner of idiotic options, the permutations are endless.
Speaking of others telling us what we need, I was on the receiving end of this earnestly-conveyed comment from a King Philip's War vet pointing a helical finger at my AR at a free state rifle range: "Too loud. Way too loud. You need to remove that muzzle brake. Those are illegal."

Blank stare. It would have been a great moment to be fluent in Wôpanâak gutter slang.

I went to a gun store several years ago and I asked if they had any preban normal capacity magazines for a pistol I had. There were a couple of guys sitting in chairs and chatting. One of them overheard me ask the clerk and exclaimed very loudly that he never needed more than 7 rounds in his 1911. Without missing a beat, I turned and asked him how many people he has shot. He was caught off guard and told me he has never shot anyone. I replied well then you don't know how many bullets you need. He was so angry. I thanked the clerk and walked out. Everyone in the shop was laughing at this guy and I heard him tell the clerk they shouldn't allow people like me in the shop. I always laugh when I think about that incident.
I was told by salty csms, way back in the day when the army boots were black, that if you couldn't hit the goddamn enemy with 7 rounds from your 1911, you were obligated to beat the hell out of them with it.. lessons learned.

The fuddiest fudd I know is a cop. He was showing me his MP45 the other day and proudly proclaimed that his cop gun doesn’t have a safety. He was shocked when I told him almost no MP pistols in MA do.

Also told him the armor plates I ordered were delivered right to my door, no questions asked. His response was “that’s concerning”.

A lot of times we banter on gun stuff and he says things like “I don’t mind if you have something like that but...” You can fill in the rest of that line with any number of things.

The fuddiest fudd I know is a cop. He was showing me his MP45 the other day and proudly proclaimed that his cop gun doesn’t have a safety. He was shocked when I told him almost no MP pistols in MA do.

Also told him the armor plates I ordered were delivered right to my door, no questions asked. His response was “that’s concerning”.

A lot of times we banter on gun stuff and he says things like “I don’t mind if you have something like that but...” You can fill in the rest of that line with any number of things.

I already hate him

Ah, the word "but". A simple, three letter, single syllable that essentially means "You know everything I've already said on this topic? I was lying."

Only one time and it maybe was or wasn't Fudd related.
Shooting with a couple of prebans and the guy at the next table asks while I was still shooting , "Those legal ?"
I just said "Nope " and kept on shooting.

The one asshat range incident that sticks out was two young guys that were a couple of tables over that were fidgeting with their guns while my kid was downrange.
The first time I was real polite and said "Hey guys do me a favor and don't mess with the guns while someone is downrange." They said Oh , Ok .
No biggie I thought , maybe they just needed a little reminder about range safety.
A little while later my kid and a couple of other people were changing targets and one of the geniuses picks up his rifle and slaps home a full mag.
It had been a while since I have gone 2/3 retard on someone and this idiot won the prize that day.
Have never seen either at the range since.

He sez: “Hi Guys! Dunno if you know we have a range rule about one one shot per second. Some of the guys over in Trap asked me to come up (club RO) and check.”

I sez: “Yep, I do. I’m from Iowa and grew up on the Mississippi. So I count seconds as “mhisipi, mhispi, mhisipi” and I talk fast. Pretty much as fast as I can get back on target after recoil with a semi-automatic rifle.

He sez: “Great! Have a nice day.”

And probably told the Fudds their hearing is bad...

in colorado, i was at my trap & skeet club and asked the manager if there was any place on the property i could try some new loads in my pistol. go to the end of the property boundary line, you'll see a shot up fence post, you can hang a target off of that. i turn to walk away and he calls me back...hey sonny, ya know what a cow looks like? i thought he was kidding and say i think so, why? you don't want to be shooting any down there is all. you got cows back east? little ones i told him, what do your cows look like? everyone who heard the conversation thought it was amusing except him. maybe our manager was a fudd? or a ball breaker....they might be one in the same.

Without going into specific stories, I think:
Why did you bring so many guns? &
Why do you even need that? (most recently referring to my UMP conversion from Tommybuilt & the fact I own a spinner I'll bring out in the summer with multiple people)
The answer to both being because I can.

"What, are you preparing for world war three" as I'm unloading my rifle cases and ammo boxes out of the back of my car. I had one of my AR-15s, my Henry Big Boy, Savage 308, and my newest addition to the family which is my CMP m1 garand. I ignored him but he must have gotten a bit pissed because he packed up and left. Whole bunch of brass left around on the ground that people didn't bother to pick up along with a lot of 30-06 brass someone swept up and dumped in the trash can since the range doesn't have a brass bin. That brass and the rest I found in the trash can made its way back home into a bucket for me to process later for reloading.

- California prior to banning rifles chambered in .50 BMG: "We've identified numerous incidents where .50 Cal firearms were involved in a crime."
- Random person asking common sense question: "Can you be specific?"
- California: "Illegal possession"
- Random person asking common sense question: "Had one ever been used in a violent crime?"
- California: "... ... ... ... ... ... ... no"

California passes law banning such dangerous shit so firmly established as a threat to the "health, safety, and security of all residents" of California.

I heard about a .50 used in a crime...
The suspect had a patch on his eye.
A wooden leg
Reported to have said “Yaaaar” a lot.
His accomplice had bright feathers and a black beak.

Yaaar!

I had someone ask me if I’d ever heard of Thompson contender/encore pistols that you could just buy a barrel in any caliber and swap them out. I said yes, it’s a pretty cool concept. I was unprepared for the follow up asking if I was concerned about the possibility someone could commit a murder and just throw away the barrel. I honestly didn’t know how to answer but I’m pretty sure laughter isn’t the response they were expecting.

I went to a gun store several years ago and I asked if they had any preban normal capacity magazines for a pistol I had. There were a couple of guys sitting in chairs and chatting. One of them overheard me ask the clerk and exclaimed very loudly that he never needed more than 7 rounds in his 1911. Without missing a beat, I turned and asked him how many people he has shot. He was caught off guard and told me he has never shot anyone. I replied well then you don't know how many bullets you need. He was so angry. I thanked the clerk and walked out. Everyone in the shop was laughing at this guy and I heard him tell the clerk they shouldn't allow people like me in the shop. I always laugh when I think about that incident.

I don’t know WTF it is, but there never, ever, been a positive story that involved guys “sitting around in a gun store.” You can almost guarantee that if they’re sitting around a gun store, they’re a dick.

Back
Top Bottom