From GOAL: LTC/FID Application Status Check

I called the PD today before i saw this post as its been 4 months since i applied for the renewal. My License doesnt expire for a while and i renewed it early. A year early. Didnt want to risk it with all the "back log" of applications.

Was told today by the PD that the renewal had been approved we were just waiting for it to be sent to the PD. Called the number provided and i was approved on the 15th. I was told it takes about two weeks for them to ship out after approval so in theory, i should have the renewal in two weeks. We shall see. On a related note, the lady i spoke with was very pleasant.

I got the same 2 week estimate. Hoping it's true. And yes, I think I talked to the same nice lady as you did.

My LTC expires in 5 or 6 weeks and I renewed 3 weeks ago. I called the number in the OP and they say they haven't received anything yet. The PD says the process is currently running 8 weeks or so and they're waiting for the state. I think that translates to them waiting for background check from the state police. Does that make sense? The local PD also said there's been an increase in applications.

In any event, it's taking longer than required 40 days and my local PD has always seemed to act in good faith, so I don't blame them. Regardless, there's a good chance mine will expire before I get the new one and I'll be in the 90 day grace period.

I called the first number today, spoke to a very helpful gentleman who asked me if it was for a new license or renewal. I told him new, he asked my name, dob, license # and informed me that the town hasn't even processed the application yet and that the last activity on it was January 3rd, the date of my interview. On a side note, just checked my bank account and my $100 check to the town cleared on 1/18.

Last edited:
I called the number a couple times during the last three weeks and received updates from the FRB both times. The first time I called was about three weeks ago (approximately seven weeks after the interview) and was told the license was still undergoing background checks at the local PD. It was then that I got my local State Rep involved in the process, he had a chat with the Chief and my application was received by the FRB the following day. I found this out when I called the second time and I hope to have my LTC by the end of next week.

Maybe I am fortunate to live in a green town with a 2A-friendly State Rep, but going up the political ladder seemed to make a difference in my case. I'd recommend speaking to Republican or 2A-friendly City Council members, and/or the Mayor. They are the ones that control the PD's budget and can potentially speed things along. If the city politicians are anti-2A, start climbing the political ladder until you get the assistance you need.

I went in to make my renewal appointment on 10/2/12. My LTC-A expired at the end of Oct. I was given an appointment date of 12-2-12, already way into my grace period. The appointment went fine, in and out in 2 minutes. Im pretty sure that he told me 6-8 weeks and I will get it in the mail. As of today I still haven't received anything. I will call on Monday.

I need ammo so I hope that it comes in soon! Thanks for the number.

Applied 10 weeks out and took the range test 8 weeks prior to expiration date. Hope to get the renewal before then - having an expired anything bugs me.

Update: Was told Jan 9th it was approved in Chelsea but they have not printed it and mailed to my local PD yet. I called my local PD on Jan25th and that's what he said. Will update further once something happens.........

Called today and a very polite women told me that I was approved by them. They will have it for 2 more weeks and then it will be mailed to my local PD. What a messed up system. I wonder how long this process would take if it was privatized?

Anyway, I am going to call them back in two weeks.

I just called! It has been approved [smile], now it needs to be activated, printed and sent to my PD. Sounds like it is right on the time frame I was quoted. I have my appointment on December 12th and was told about 8 weeks.

Applied for renewal Dec 23rd and watched the local PD punch in the info into MRCS, so my app was submitted the same day. Called today Jan 28th and was told that it still was pending state background check.

Just called again, still pending approval from the PD after being interviewed on 12/22.. I don't really wanna call my LO anymore I feel like I'm starting to piss him off and I don't want any restrictions thrown on there.

My husband is getting annoyed with me. I asked him to call yesterday. He said the license had been approved on the 24th by the CoP (funny how that worked just 2 days after he called last time) and that it had been sent to the next step? Not sure as he didn't give me the details in a neat package. Signature by the CoP on the 24th would have been 41 days from application.

Just called again, still pending approval from the PD after being interviewed on 12/22.. I don't really wanna call my LO anymore I feel like I'm starting to piss him off and I don't want any restrictions thrown on there.

This is a great example of why the may issue LTC system is the worst aspect of MA gun control laws. The state sets up a system that they can't abide by, but have no penalties if they don't. Then, the law abiding citizen is, rightfully, afraid to speak up against the system for fear of further penalties. What a bunch of a**h***s.

(DSmith, don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for not wanting to push your luck.)

This is a great example of why the may issue LTC system is the worst aspect of MA gun control laws. The state sets up a system that they can't abide by, but have no penalties if they don't. Then, the law abiding citizen is, rightfully, afraid to speak up against the system for fear of further penalties. What a bunch of a**h***s.

(DSmith, don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for not wanting to push your luck.)
You're exactly right. Its pretty sad that you have to fear pissing off your civil servants.

Called the FRB on Friday and they said it was still with the local PD.

Called the local PD (Friday) and they said it was on the Chiefs desk and that he wanted to speak with me.

They called this morning and I went in to speak with him for about 10 minutes. He stated he wanted to meet anyone applying (renewal or new app) that he has not met before. In and out very fast and he was very nice to speak with. He said it should not take long from here and if I do not hear something back by the beginning of March to call in and see what the holdup is.

James

Called tonight. Just for the hell of it. Everything was done at the time of the interview. Was told the system showed my app updated on the 14th. But was pending state background from the local... Calling back in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Dsmith, how long did it take for them to contact you for the interview? I'm in Wilmington also and dropped mine and the wifes off a couple weeks ago.

Dsmith, how long did it take for them to contact you for the interview? I'm in Wilmington also and dropped mine and the wifes off a couple weeks ago.
I dropped my app off 11/22 was interviewed 12/18. So i got everything taken care of before the big rush after Sandy Hook. One of my cop friends said they're averaging 2-3 new apps a day so you might have a longer wait for your interview.

Just called and talked to Chris, he was very polite and helpful, said it has been printed and sent to the PD this week. ( I applied 1/2/13 )

Now we'll see how long the local PD sits on it.

Today, I check and nice women indicated I was approved by them. something about "activation and printing" by firearms and then to PD , give it 2 more weeks to get to my local PD.
almost 90 days from my interview and entry into the mircas? system. so i ithink this all the state in my case.
So i'm aproved but with out a piece of plastic it's a no go.

I wish you guys the best of luck in this process. It sucks waiting knowing that ammo is hard to get bye. A lot of gun shops don't have a decent selection right now. But before you know it you will have a huge smile on your face holding your Ltc!

I wish you guys the best of luck in this process. It sucks waiting knowing that ammo is hard to get bye. A lot of gun shops don't have a decent selection right now. But before you know it you will have a huge smile on your face holding your Ltc!

thanks Buddy!!!! you are correct SIR, I have a smile on my face because of your post... Local Pd LTC??? not smiling yet

After the licensing officer clicks "approved" in MIRCS, approximately how long should it realistically take for the FRB to review and print? I called 3 weeks ago to get a status update and the woman told me the FRB just received my application and it'll take up to 2 weeks to review/print and then will be mailed to my PD. Called again this afternoon and was told it's still being reviewed. Is anyone experiencing delays such as this? I'm starting to get nervous here...

After the licensing officer clicks "approved" in MIRCS, approximately how long should it realistically take for the FRB to review and print? I called 3 weeks ago to get a status update and the woman told me the FRB just received my application and it'll take up to 2 weeks to review/print and then will be mailed to my PD. Called again this afternoon and was told it's still being reviewed. Is anyone experiencing delays such as this? I'm starting to get nervous here...

I went for my interview the end of Oct. just received word I was accepted and am waiting for the state to send the licence itself. It s taking longer every step of the way.

Took about 2 weeks to get the review done by the state. Mine went to the state on January 17th. Was told it was activated on the 30th. Unfortunately still hasn't been sent out to my local PD yet. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom