Friend of mine involved in home invasion

This is almost as good as the "I made 1300 yard headshots" guy we had around here... [rofl]

-Mike

Let's hope the perp doesn't go to the police. Crimes committed (in Mass. IDK about RI):

Perp - breaking and entering.

Buddy - armed robbery, kidnapping, unlawful detention.

IANAL so if I'm wrong about this, oh well.

Let's hope the perp doesn't go to the police. Crimes committed (in Mass. IDK about RI):

assuming this farce were true, it would be perp's word against homeowner's wrt to the armed robbery thing. I don't think the perp's word would be worth a whole lot given that he just kicked someone's door in.

What is the law regarding holding a perp at gunpoint and waiting for the cops (MA)? Anyone know?

The very first question that should be asked of an intruder, after asking if he was alone, is:
"Who knows you're here?"

This is almost as good as the "I made 1300 yard headshots" guy we had around here... [rofl]

-Mike

I saw the damage to his door, and his GF and roommate were home and witnessed it all. He's not lying.

What possible motivation would I have to make this up? The situation didn't involve me, it's not like I'm claiming some amazing feat.

Yeah I'm not sure how that would play out but I'm sure he'd be screwed.

Enough time has passed now that I'm sure it's not going to be an issue. The guy is probably glad he left with his life.

I saw the damage to his door, and his GF and roommate were home and witnessed it all. He's not lying.

What possible motivation would I have to make this up? The situation didn't involve me, it's not like I'm claiming some amazing feat.

Enough time has passed now that I'm sure it's not going to be an issue. The guy is probably glad he left with his life.

I'm not saying -YOU- made it up, it just sounds fishy. Then again, if this happened in say, a big dump city like Brockton or something like that, not so surprised. Maybe the bad guy fled and hopped into that missing UBER driver's car we were talking about here awhile ago... [laugh]

-Mike

I believe the story.

I've told people I've had a legal issue with that I don't talk to the police and first they're relieved and then they get scared when they realize the implications.

I haven't done it while displaying a firearm but in all cases any loss resulting from the crime was rectified.

Criminals are not afraid of the justice system but they are afraid of people who don't talk to the police.

Kudos to your friend. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have expected the perp to hand over tha $60 willingly.

Reminds me of a story from another board I'm on. Guy's trying to sell a junk car for $500. One night he sees a couple kids trying to hotwire it in front of his house. Goes out there with a pistol, does some crackerjack haggling, and they end up buying the car for $600.

This makes me wonder, though. If someone breaks into your house and you confront them with a gun (without shooting) are you guilty of brandishing a firearm and kidnapping in Mass?

This makes me wonder, though. If someone breaks into your house and you confront them with a gun (without shooting) are you guilty of brandishing a firearm and kidnapping in Mass?

I know a guy who caught a kid breaking into his warehouse and held the kid until the cops arrived and was charged with kidnapping.

Never talk to the police.

I had some friends over a couple years ago, the neighbors started fighting in the hall, my. Door gets knocked in and they are fighting in my kitchen. We let them go at at till they made it into the living room then we had to stop it. It was good entertainment on a Saturday night

Me, neither.

I'd take $60 and his driver's license.

And what if the perp tells you to GFY? You gonna shoot him?

I'd not make any threats with a gun unless I was ready to make good on them. Good luck convincing a jury you were in fear for your life when you shot a guy you were forcing to sit on your couch (that you were robbing).

Justice would be just shooting the ****er when he kicked the door in.

I often wondered thought about that very same situation. To my thinking it's a lesson in reverse,take the theif's wallet,watch,jewelry and any other valuables he might have on him just to prove a point and maybe a class in the school of life's hard lessons do I want to be a theif all my life and possibly get shot,beaten within an inch of my life etc or should I find another less dangerous career path.

Apparently citizen's arrest isn't a thing in the DPRM

There is in MA, but there's a lot "but" involved. Recently there was a case of an intruder being kept at "gunpoint" during a citizen's arrest in MA. I don't have the specifics, but the subject was charged with a felony. If there were no felony charge, the citizen could've gotten very jammed up.

BTW, here're the jury instructions for MA jurors, in cases of SELF-DEFENSE; DEFENSE OF ANOTHER;
DEFENSE OF PROPERTY

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/cou...inal/6000-9999/9260-defenses-self-defense.pdf

And what if the perp tells you to GFY? You gonna shoot him?

I'd not make any threats with a gun unless I was ready to make good on them. Good luck convincing a jury you were in fear for your life when you shot a guy you were forcing to sit on your couch (that you were robbing).

Justice would be just shooting the ****er when he kicked the door in.

He didn't have to threaten the thief into giving him money, at least not directly. He did tell the guy he wasn't leaving until he figured out how he was going to compensate him for the damage, so maybe there is a legal issues with detainment, but the guy was completely compliant after the initial confrontation.

While I agree that would be ideal justice, it doesn't always play out that way.

Reminds me of a story from another board I'm on. Guy's trying to sell a junk car for $500. One night he sees a couple kids trying to hotwire it in front of his house. Goes out there with a pistol, does some crackerjack haggling, and they end up buying the car for $600.
Sounds like a win/win to me. And I'm one of those pansy-ass liberals you guys love to hate.

He didn't have to threaten the thief into giving him money, at least not directly. He did tell the guy he wasn't leaving until he figured out how he was going to compensate him for the damage, so maybe there is a legal issues with detainment, but the guy was completely compliant after the initial confrontation.

they just sat down for a beer summit after the dude kicked in the door and your pal stuck a rifle in his face? and now you're telling the story to the whole internet on a public forum?

this is either pure, unadulterated bullshit, or both of you dudes are a couple beers short of a six pack.

While I agree that would be ideal justice, it doesn't always play out that way.

I was asking the question specifically to someone who said they'd take the 60 and then perp's driver's license.

He was pointing his AR at the intruder while having a conversation? What could go wrong?

they just sat down for a beer summit after the dude kicked in the door and your pal stuck a rifle in his face? and now you're telling the story to the whole internet on a public forum?

this is either pure, unadulterated bullshit, or both of you dudes are a couple beers short of a six pack.

it sounds like a scene out of commando

Last edited by a moderator:

The living room is the only entry/exit point of the apartment.

The door he kicked down opens into the living room, the kitchen is attached and divided only by a half wall.

I didn't ask specifically if he demanded the guy sit down or if the guy decided to take a seat because he was told he wasn't leaving.

I'm sure he didnt take a seat beside him, and enough time has passed now that I feel comfortable posting it, because if anything was going to come of it legally, it would have happened already.

Statute of limitations is something like 6 years for the armed assault and 10 for the robbery so I hope this happened prior to 2006.

Back
Top Bottom