Friend is losing his LTC

See post #16.
Im more Interested in how it was determined he had a .05 BAC. Was he arrested at the scene? If so, what was he arrested for? Where did he register this .05 and on what type of device?

I haven't gotten the full story from him yet. I'm guessing cop said blow or go to jail. He was not arrested. He was summonsed. Went to court this morning. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Agreed, I was referring to the "drunk driving' aspect.

Yeah the math isnt adding up in my head anyways. Methinks there may be more to this long story short.

- - - Updated - - -

Skylineracer329;4I68813 said:
I haven't gotten the full story from him yet. I'm guessing cop said blow or go to jail. He was not arrested. He was summonsed. Went to court this morning. Haven't heard back from him yet.
Blow or go to jail? Dam Ive been doing it wrong for 26years! Get all his guns tho before they disappear into the village vortex

Umm... how did the cop know the gun fell out of the trunk, as opposed to the owner's belt?

That's where I find it interesting. I don't believe a precedent has been set regarding what's considered intoxicated as related to firearm possession

I thought that the law just says "under the influence" and not intoxicated, but I could be wrong. Either way, its open to interpretation.

Any which way that shakes out, it sounds like the OP's buddy is screwed on the improper storage crap.

He's getting no sympathy from me either. Just thought it might be interesting to share since I don't think we have seen an "intoxicated possession" in MA yet.

There was an aux cop in Bellingham that was arrested for intoxicated posession and slew of other charges a couple of weeks ago.

To put .05 into context, the FAA has 2 rules about drinking and flying:
1) No flying within 8hrs of having even 1 drink.
2) No BAC level above .04 This was put in place for when there are no witnesses to the drink within 8hrs.

So, the FAA, which can be really strict, won't bust you for .039. That tells me .05 is pretty small potatoes.

Ok so he called me and I have the full story. It's full of all sorts if poor life choices.

He crashes his car. No roll over, Nothing fell out of his trunk.

Responding trooper ran him in the system, dispatch advised the trooper of my friends LTC. Trooper asks if he has any firearms on him, my friend says he has one in the trunk.

My friend went to the hospital. Trooper met him there. Trooper asked if he wants to take "an unofficial breathalyzer test". My friend says yes and blows a 0.05.

Seems to me like he should have refused any searches an denied the breathalyzer.

how can you be possessing and storing at the same time?

Because there were two violations......he posessed a gun while intoxicated.....meaning it was in his vehicle......if it had been locked up according to MGL transport laws I assume he would only have the intoxicated posession charge. As the gun was not locked up and LOADED ads the transport/storage violation. Thats my take anyway

Apples vs. Oranges - OUI and carrying while under the influence. I'm thinking it's totally based on LEO's opinion as to persons impairment...

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter269/section10h:
Section 10H. Whoever, having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, carries on his person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm, as defined in section 121 of said chapter 140, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances, all as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C, or the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

A good lawyer should be able to work around a .05 on anything but a blood test provided your friend kept his mouth shut.

Uh dum dum dum dum dum.

Ok so he called me and I have the full story. It's full of all sorts if poor life choices.

Responding trooper ran him in the system, dispatch advised the trooper of my friends LTC. Trooper asks if he has any firearms on him, my friend says he has one in the trunk.

My friend went to the hospital. Trooper met him there. Trooper asked if he wants to take "an unofficial breathalyzer test". My friend says yes and blows a 0.05.

Seems to me like he should have refused any searches an denied the breathalyzer.

So......he took an unofficial breathalyzer that is now officially charging him with posession while intoxicated ......does ......not.....add......up!

What's an "an unofficial breathalyzer test"

And yes, big mistake on his part by consenting.

A good lawyer should be able to work around a .05 on anything but a blood test provided your friend kept his mouth shut.

What about the transport law though? Loaded rifle in the trunk?

Only chance I think is a good lawyer that will argue the admissability of the evidence based on how the officer found out about the gun in the trunk......oh.....yeah......never mind the guy admitted he told the LEO he had it never mind.[rolleyes]

Because there were two violations......he posessed a gun while intoxicated.....meaning it was in his vehicle......if it had been locked up according to MGL transport laws I assume he would only have the intoxicated posession charge. As the gun was not locked up and LOADED ads the transport/storage violation. Thats my take anyway

Never mind.....I jsut read another post......gun needs to be loaded to be considered under posession while intoxicated.

MA has implied consent, you agree to this by having a driver's license. if they say blow, you blow or they hook you up. from there it's up to the court and there's no evidence to substantiate the claim of you being drunk. however violating the implied consent bullshit:

Massachusetts law requires you to take a breath or blood test if you are arrested for a DWI. Massachusetts’s “implied consent” law says that if you are lawfully arrested by an officer who has probable cause to believe that you have been driving while intoxicated, then you consent to taking a chemical test of your blood or breath for the purpose of determining your blood alcohol content (BAC). The test must be taken as soon as possible from when you were last driving. The officer gets to choose which test you take, although he or she must take you to a medical facility to have your blood drawn. The law also gives a special exemption for diabetics, hemophiliacs, or anyone taking anticoagulants – they don’t have to take the blood test.

Once you are arrested, the officer should tell you that if you refuse to take the test, then your license will be suspended for at least 180 days and up to a life-time loss. At that point, if you decide to refuse the test then the officer can’t force you to take one. He or she will, however, take your license, give you notice that your suspension is now in effect, and will send your car to impound. Your car will be stuck in impound for 12 hours after your refusal and you will have to pay for the towing service and storage costs.

double added bonus: was he arrested for DUI? doesn't apply if that was not the reason for his arrest.

either way he should have shut the actual **** up about the firearm and dealt with it wherever the car got towed to.

What about the transport law though? Loaded rifle in the trunk?

Only chance I think is a good lawyer that will argue the admissability of the evidence based on how the officer found out about the gun in the trunk......oh.....yeah......never mind the guy admitted he told the LEO he had it never mind.[rolleyes]

OP didn't post that it was loaded.

Cop nailed him with intoxicated possession (0.05 BAC) and improper storage. Oops.

It's interesting that the cop nailed him with both. Here are the relevant statutes:

269.10H: Whoever, having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, carries on his person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm, as defined in section 121 of said chapter 140, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances, all as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C, or the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

140.131L(a): It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

140.131C(a): No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

Let's try some logic (Yeah, I know, logic and Massachusetts law don't go together):

If he broke 269.10H (what you refer to as "intoxicated possession," although it's actually carrying under the influence), then he had the the gun on his person or under his control in the vehicle. There are two consequences of that:

1. If the gun was under his control, then it is not "deemed stored and kept," according to 140.131L(a), so he cannot be guilty of improper storage.

2. If the gun was under his control, then he's doing what 130.131C(a) requires of him, so he cannot be guilty of improper transport either.

Now let's try it the other way.

If he is not guilty of carrying under the influence (10H), then it's mean that a loaded gun in the trunk is not considered to be under his control. Then, (according to Reyes) it's up to a jury to decide if the trunk is not good enough for the gun to be "secured in a locked container," or whether he is guilty of improper storage (131L). The government could also argue that because the car was moving, 131C comes into play, and he is guilty of breaking 131C because a loaded handgun is required to be under his control.

Last edited:
MA has implied consent, you agree to this by having a driver's license. if they say blow, you blow or they hook you up. from there it's up to the court and there's no evidence to substantiate the claim of you being drunk. however violating the implied consent bullshit:

double added bonus: was he arrested for DUI? doesn't apply if that was not the reason for his arrest.

either way he should have shut the actual **** up about the firearm and dealt with it wherever the car got towed to.
So you are telling me if I'm in an accident and have a fire arm in my trunk......and the officer asks me if I have a fire arm I should lie? Seriouse questin.

OP didn't post that it was loaded.

Yes.....He.....Did

"Long story short, left his gun in his trunk, loaded. Rolled his car over, trunk opens and gun falls out. Cop nailed him with intoxicated possession (0.05 BAC) and improper storage. Oops."

Remember the good ole' days? When you could be drunk at the saloon and drop your peacemaker.
You got a place to crash and your gun back in the am.
Ahh, the 1850's.

Last edited:

Not sure how it works in MA, but if the cops had it towed, they would have performed an inventory search and discovered
the firearm anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.....He.....Did

"Long story short, left his gun in his trunk, loaded. Rolled his car over, trunk opens and gun falls out. Cop nailed him with intoxicated possession (0.05 BAC) and improper storage. Oops."

Oooops... my mistake, I missed it two times. [thinking]

its good for everyone to hear these stories so we can be reminded how ridiculous this state is. i dont think a right minded person can ever be too cautious in this nanny state.

also storing a loaded gun in a trunk is beyond stupid, at least in MA. for like $50 one can acquire a lockbox with cable tie-down and just store mags separately then problem solved (more or less)

If it's flopping around on the ground outside the car that's sort of a problem, or it got to the point where an inventory search was done. It's not apparent what actually happened because as usual, it reads sort of like a shitty news article. [laugh]

The irony of this is if the guy had it in a lockbox inside the trunk I'm not sure it would have gotten that far; perhaps if the LEO went FR and got authority to cut the locks off, etc.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom