• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend has questions on LTC application.

Okay, I have a friend who is filling out her application for her LTC. She's unsure of how to answer two questions on the application.
Please don't flame me (or her through me), I just need to know if these are disqualifiers or how she should handle the questions. I have advised her to seek out one of the lawyers on here, but she still wants to know about these two questions.

ARE YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN UNDER TREATMENT FOR OR CONFINEMENT FOR DRUG ADDICTION OR HABITUAL DRUNKENNESS?

When I was 17 but it was voluntary and how would anyone ever know unless I told them???

She was a slacker and was doing pot and drinking. She decided to go to a rehab program. She cleaned herself up and went to college.
Does the fact that she was in rehab at the age of 17 mean she must answer yes to this question?

HAVE YOU EVER APPEARED IN ANY COURT AS A DEFENDANT FOR ANY CRIMINAL OFFENSE (EXCLUDING NONCRIMINAL TRAFFIC OFFENSES)?

My accident in 2001 was a criminal offense. I believe I may have had to appear as a minor, but I’m not sure and do I even need to report something like this?

Long story short, in 2001 she was in a minor traffic accident near her home. For whatever reason, she parked her car and ran to her house. She left everything in the car so they obviously knew where to reach her. When the police showed up at her house she cooperated fully. She did have to appear in court, and ended up having to do some community service. I asked her via email exactly what the end was to the charges, but do not yet know the answer to that (whether the charges were dropped after a year with no other issues etc).
I know that no matter what the outcome was, she has to say yes to this question, but can't she explain what happened on a seperate piece of paper, and hope that the LO doesn't declare her unsuitable?

Not sure about the 1st.

But lying about the 2nd could get her prohibited for life..
Better to state the truth and not be disqualified.

As Mass-diver stated, the answer is yes to both questions. She could include a written explanation for the drug treatment, it may or may not help. She MAY be disqualified. If she lies on the application, she WILL be disqualified. Good luck.

Okay, I have a friend who is filling out her application for her LTC. She's unsure of how to answer two questions on the application.
Please don't flame me (or her through me), I just need to know if these are disqualifiers or how she should handle the questions. I have advised her to seek out one of the lawyers on here, but she still wants to know about these two questions.

ARE YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN UNDER TREATMENT FOR OR CONFINEMENT FOR DRUG ADDICTION OR HABITUAL DRUNKENNESS?

She was a slacker and was doing pot and drinking. She decided to go to a rehab program. She cleaned herself up and went to college.
Does the fact that she was in rehab at the age of 17 mean she must answer yes to this question?

HAVE YOU EVER APPEARED IN ANY COURT AS A DEFENDANT FOR ANY CRIMINAL OFFENSE (EXCLUDING NONCRIMINAL TRAFFIC OFFENSES)?

Long story short, in 2001 she was in a minor traffic accident near her home. For whatever reason, she parked her car and ran to her house. She left everything in the car so they obviously knew where to reach her. When the police showed up at her house she cooperated fully. She did have to appear in court, and ended up having to do some community service. I asked her via email exactly what the end was to the charges, but do not yet know the answer to that (whether the charges were dropped after a year with no other issues etc).
I know that no matter what the outcome was, she has to say yes to this question, but can't she explain what happened on a seperate piece of paper, and hope that the LO doesn't declare her unsuitable?

Becca:

#1. This one is debatable. The wording of this is odd. Usually, it simply says, Have you been confined in which case, most people say "No." The key aspect of this is not that she was a minor, but that it was voluntary (she checked herself in) On the other hand, this wording seems to ask if you've ever had any treatment at all? Frankly, if you weren't committed, it shouldn't be an issue unless the COP finds out on his/her own.

#2. Yes, because they WILL find it. If she's honest about it, depending on the circumstances and the town, she may pull it off. If she lies, she'll get caught, and then there is little to no chance of getting a license even in a green town.

Last edited:
as for both 1 and 2 if she's serious about getting an LTC I would definitely lawyer up. That seems to be the concensus around here for these types of questions. A good firearms attorney like Cross-X will know the answer to these questions.

Yes and Yes. So sorry.

She'll need to get an affidavit from a physician who his familiar with her medical history to properly address situation #1.

Can't ask for better advice from a better source then that. With luck, the attorney's help should be a one-time expense. If she is successful in getting licensed she will then know how to handle these questions for future renewals.

The only alternative would seem to be a move to a free state, assuming that these two items are not Federal disqualifiers.

Please strongly encourage her to speak to an attorney before she proceeds any further. As others have said, once she is disqualified it will follow her forever.

Back
Top Bottom