French PD Gun ID

This is not the photo I was expecting. The one I was going to post was of what looked like the old US "grease gun". I couldn't really tell though on the small phone screen.

Here's another "shot" of the one you all are discussing:
150109104023-fullbleed-01-paris-grocery-0109-large-169.jpg

I was wondering about this rifle too.

On another note, my husband pointed out they have patches with CRS on them. Does it mean Cant Remember Shit or Cant Really Shoot?

Oh, that's Carl's private army! ;-)

Maybe someone got the order wrong:
Minié rifle

File under "other":

150109140319-france-police-fade-large-169.jpg

150109114453-paris-soldiers-eiffel-tower-large-169.jpg

150107112217-30-paris-shooting-0107-large-11.jpg

Last edited:
Someone on Perfect Union's forums managed to buy one of those mini-14 stocks with the sling mount and checkering. I really wish someone (come on Ruger!) would make and market those stocks in wood here. Even the current checkered synthetic stocks would benefit from having that style of sling mount.

Huh don't police forces usually equip some sort of reflex sights on their guns? or are they french still focusing on using iron sights for their rifles?

That isn't an elite unite.

- - - Updated - - -

BEWARE this site has some Malware associated with it!

Malware. That's a pretty good description of Farago.

- - - Updated - - -

Since most of the LEO's there are unarmed, they must really be scraping the bottom of the armory to arm themselves, possible taking firearms from reserves?

That's not true. France != UK.

Malware. That's a pretty good description of Farago.

I used to read his site until it became obvious he is a douche & I found out about his disrespectful behavior toward other more reputable gun bloggers.

it's a petit mouton X26R french rifle. it's chambered in large caliber french insolence and annoys any assailant to death. the only french design less reliable is a Renault tank.

I used to read his site until it became obvious he is a douche & I found out about his disrespectful behavior toward other more reputable gun bloggers.

Back when he ran The Truth About Cars, he was on Autoline After Hours once. I take exception to you calling him a douche. That is terribly insulting to douches.

Last edited:

There was a fair amount of discussion about him and his blog at the NRA show last year. He's not at all popular among other gun bloggers.

Negative. Or should I say Au Contraire... It's a French Mousqueton A.M.D. (aka; the mouse gun which actually means something outside a tom and jerry cartoon...[grin]) which was built in France under license from Ruger. It's not a Ruger, just a ruler design.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the one.

Negative. Or should I say Au Contraire... It's a French Mousqueton A.M.D. (aka; the mouse gun which actually means something outside a tom and jerry cartoon...[grin]) which was built in France under license from Ruger. It's not a Ruger, just a ruler design.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the one.

So you are saying that the people who sold one in post 21 don't know what it was?

So you are saying that the people who sold one in post 21 don't know what it was?

It's not a Ruger AC-556. It's a French Mousqueton A.M.D. built in France with modifications specific to the French manufacturing. It's a Ruger AC-556 design, but it's not a Ruger. And actually, now that I am reading the link from post #21, I am calling that ad full of crap. They were possibly selling a US made Ruger as the French model. The serial number is a give away (186 was the serial number range from the early 1980s US Ruger production), beyond the proof mark and maker mark that said Ruger, CT. The Mousqueton A.M.D. was made in France, by AMD. Here is a picture of it's maker's mark:

AMD 3b.jpg

You will note there is no Ruger maker's mark.

They may have their name on it else where, but that's where Ruger's maker's mark goes.

ETA: Granted, most of this is semantic as Ruger made most of the parts, but the reality is provenance matters in all things guns. SMELE's made in India are not the same as SMELEs made in England. A Mosin-Nagant M1896 made in the Remington NY Factory carries the Remington NY maker's mark and is a different gun than the Russian made guns. A Sig P6 is virtually identical to a P225 but they are not the same. A P6 has a special hammer among other things. One was ordered by the west german police, the other is just a german made swiss gun. This stuff matters in value and beyond.

Last edited:
It's not a Ruger AC-556. It's a French Mousqueton A.M.D. built in France with modifications specific to the French manufacturing. It's a Ruger AC-556 design, but it's not a Ruger. And actually, now that I am reading the link from post #21, I am calling that ad full of crap. They were possibly selling a US made Ruger as the French model. The serial number is a give away (186 was the serial number range from the early 1980s US Ruger production), beyond the proof mark and maker mark that said Ruger, CT. The Mousqueton A.M.D. was made in France, by AMD. Here is a picture of it's maker's mark:

View attachment 125229

You will note there are no Ruger maker's mark.

They may have their name on it else where, but that's where Ruger's maker's mark goes.

[thinking] All in post 27.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ch-PD-Gun-ID?p=4291138&viewfull=1#post4291138

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/35231/the-mousqueton-a-m-d-frances-mini-14/

The “A.M.D.” stands for Armement Moyen de Défense (“intermediate defense weapon”) and the “A.P.” stands for Administration Pénitentiaire (“prison administration”). In a departure from the U.S. commercial Mini-14, the Sturm, Ruger roll marks were placed on the left side of the Mousqueton A.M.D.’s receiver, below the wood line. In addition, guns produced under the French contract were delivered with a black plastic upper handguard and a checkered stock with a recoil pad and sling cutout.

Last edited:
[thinking] All in post 27.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ch-PD-Gun-ID?p=4291138&viewfull=1#post4291138

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/35231/the-mousqueton-a-m-d-frances-mini-14/

The “A.M.D.” stands for Armement Moyen de Défense (“intermediate defense weapon”) and the “A.P.” stands for Administration Pénitentiaire (“prison administration”). In a departure from the U.S. commercial Mini-14, the Sturm, Ruger roll marks were placed on the left side of the Mousqueton A.M.D.’s receiver, below the wood line. In addition, guns produced under the French contract were delivered with a black plastic upper handguard and a checkered stock with a recoil pad and sling cutout.

Again, it's under contract. Just like the Remington Mosin, the Ishapore SMELE, etc; It's not a "Ruger AC-556". It's a "French Mousqueton A.M.D." It may be based on Ruger's AC-556 design, but its different. Collectors see it that way and the folks at gun blogs who care about this stuff see it that way too. If I sold you a M-16 upper (they are available) on a pre-ban Colt lower, would you call it a M-16?

Again, it's under contract. Just like the Remington Mosin, the Ishapore SMELE, etc; It's not a "Ruger AC-556". It's a "French Mousqueton A.M.D." It may be based on Ruger's AC-556 design, but its different. Collectors see it that way and the folks at gun blogs who care about this stuff see it that way too. If I sold you a M-16 upper (they are available) on a pre-ban Colt lower, would you call it a M-16?

[thumbsup]No I would not be happy. I was agreeing with you. I probably should have multi-quoted to drive home the point though .

Huh don't police forces usually equip some sort of reflex sights on their guns? or are they french still focusing on using iron sights for their rifles?

They don't break as easily when you throw them down and surrender. [smile]

We know you like thin barrels [laugh]

And it's funny some members make fun of the French when in actuality they would cry in a corner when they swarmed your house. Outstanding work here.

Well...yes. There would be no mercy when they found the boxed wine. [shocked]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom